Lumbar Chair Support

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 983
edited September 2018 in Off Topic

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    My personal (and I guess professional) take on it is that most of the time "posture" is over-demonised. 
    I've been guilty of this:  when I first trained posture was considered to be a major driver of pain (especially low back pain and shoulder pain). 
    The evidence -- i.e. the stuff that tells us what's real from what we think should be the case -- is that posture is not a major driver of pain all other things being equal
    That's a long-winded way of saying most people get more bang for their buck by addressing other things than posture.
    On lumbar bracing:  No.  Not long term.  Maybe, just maybe, a short bit of support in a flare up.
    I can't think of anyone - anyone - who I've not managed to get out of a brace and feel a hell of a lot better for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28173
    The occupational therapist I had to see to get rid of the Mondeo I was given as a company car was of the opinion that anything you have to add to a chair should be replaced with a huge neon sign saying "Just get a chair that fits you properly".

I am not a qualified medical professional, but when I changed car yo one that fitted me 80% of the pain went away in about a week, and the rest followed pretty quickly. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Sporky said:
     ...anything you have to add to a chair should be replaced with a huge neon sign saying "Just get a chair that fits you properly".
    As it happens this is a brilliant point, and one well worth making.  Don't sit in a chair/ sustain a posture which is horrible.
    What I see sh*t loads of is people who are in pain and sitting like they are posing for a Victorian photograph (upright and tense) in the belief that this is "good posture" and/ or "working the core" -- and it's tense and horrible and causing a chunk of their pain.  These are the people who have lumbar supports, wrist splints, neck collars, and dark glasses.  (I'm not joking.)
    That's what I was referring to about posture being over emphasised as a driver for pain. 
    But the sitting in a rubbish chair thing is a thing.  Yes, best not to do that. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    edited September 2018
    Grunfeld said:

These are the people who have lumbar supports, wrist splints, neck collars, and dark glasses.  (I'm not joking.)  
    All sorts of alarm bells go off when the patient wears dark glasses indoors (unless they're actually blind, obviously).
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited September 2018
    Appreciate the advice all.  You are probably right, as it’s an old folding chair.wise words @Sporky ;;

I will look into getting a better suited chair for using while using my Laptop.

Thank You.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    I grabbed an old dining room chair that wasn't being used and with a cushion behind is much better.

Cheers for your help!