Pedals and the TFB Jams

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited September 2018
    Alnico said:
    In the course of the thread, other points have been raised and addressed.

I don't think anyone has ignored your question, Ed if anything I've tried to allay peoples worries about bringing effects.
    If all you've got is "Stop screwing around" I think you've missed the points that were made.

I also don't think anyone thought you would "Screw around".

Your idea for a mini board sounds great and most of what I've replied with was to make sure that had some kind of voice (no pun intended).
    Sorry, was all a bit more than it comes across on a re-read!

There are a lot of jams in the pipeline and if the "pedal philosophy" stuff is had out in here that's all to the good
    No problem mate,

If anything I'm trying to give room for people to talk openly about using effects at jams and I totally understand that people rely on them for their sound - I do too!

What I mentioned outside of that was part of a wider Philosophy on Jam Sessions in general and it wasn't meant to detract from the OP or your point if anything I wanted to clear up those issues so your point had some Creedence.

We don't use a stopwatch in between songs but I've been to plenty of pub jams that do seem to be way too stressy about that and part of the jams is to try to show people what the real-world situations can be like, but that's all I wanted to highlight.
    It's difficult pleasing everyone all of the time.

Also, I hope I made the point in favour of what @peteri posted too.
    I agree fully with what he said and really only wanted to say that as long as the player knows his kit, has things prepared as much as possible and can get set up fairly quickly, it's all cool. There are many songs I wouldn't want to play by just plugging straight into an amp and we don't want people to feel like there are big restrictions on the jams, just a few realistic ones for the benefit of everyone.

All I'm ever trying to do, along with the others who organise these jams, is to help as many people as possible.
    I hope that's clear to all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    My approach is to use the clean channel or a clean-isj setting on the gain channel and let pedals do the work, that way I can guarantee getting 'my' sound (nothing like the record).
    At last year's quad jam I was using a volume pedal (far more control over the overall volume than relying on channel switching) and using a Boss BE5 with compressor / sustainer, overdrive, delay and noise suppressor (plus chorus which I never use). Meets the 30-second setup rule.
    For the end result, a good example is the Foxy Lady solo at 2:40

The biggest component of the sound is the compressor / sustainer, at pub jams I often just take one of those (modded for noise reduction)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Perhaps setting up a 'house' pedalboard to sit alongside the fixed backline is something we should consider?

@darthed1981- very happy to join you in playing around with amps and effects in room 2!  
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited September 2018
    Brocco said:
    Perhaps setting up a 'house' pedalboard to sit alongside the fixed backline is something we should consider?

@darthed1981- very happy to join you in playing around with amps and effects in room 2!  
    I think that's going to go against what a lot of people would want and also be cause for lots more tweaking time, which we're trying to avoid.

The idea of a pedal workshop in room 2 is a great one though.
    Maybe @CustomPedalBoards would help out with that when he's in attendance.
    You should see some of his gear!
    WOW.

I'm also sure there are many others with amazing boards who could help to teach people about what does what.
    *That* might be a very useful suggestion!
    Nice one @Brocco ;;
  • aye i can provide as many 'house pedal boards' with as many effects on as u want.
    got it all here no problem will bring all sorts of things.
    u can all use my battery board, it sounds great! has most of the gains anyone would ever want and load of other stuff all fits in to a lap top bag, and is also completely wireless, no leads, cables, things to plug in nothin nadda ziltch say it agen nuthin!
    on this board in particular at the moment it has comp, dist, od, fuzz, clean boost, power boost, 2x delays, tuner, trem and univibe. i have i dunno a 20 or so mini pedals  so u can swap in out what i want.
    i'll bring a couple of those boards if u want?
    save y'all arguing eh!
    for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27483
    This might be a step too far, but I'll risk it ...

*IF* this simple pedal board really is a simple pedal board with nothing too esoteric or expensive on it, and one which will meet 80% of people's needs, then perhaps we look to put together a *forum* pedal board, rather than everyone bringing their own slight variation of the same thing?

That way it's tested beforehand so we know that it works, power's OK, no noise, etc.

I'm thinking "put it together" from donations primarily, although we do usually end up with a small surplus from the sessions, so we could probably fund some of it.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27483
    Brocco said:
    Perhaps setting up a 'house' pedalboard to sit alongside the fixed backline is something we should consider?
    @Brocco - yes, sorry - missed your suggestion before I posted mine.  I think we're aligned in thinking?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    I'd have thought it would take more time familiarising yourself with a foreign board than it takes to plug in a mains lead and two jacks?  Certainly in terms of throwing less confident people off etc.

Based on experience at the Hudd jam, carrying in a mini-board that's already set, and just needs power and inserting between guitar and amp takes no time at all.  Others will still be faffing, chatting, finding clip-on tuners, etc. and you'll be ready to go before at least half of your companions :)
  • Just to clarify, I love you all dearly :)

On both topics...

Perhaps we should look at what works and what gets used at Quad and see if a forum pedal board (or two) is a goer.  As Tony says, we are likely to be able to put a couple together with donations.

As for my personal board, taking on Snags points, I need to try it with the daisy chain, and see how it works out before punting £150 for an isolated supply I might use three times a year.  I'm going to go with....

A cheapo tuner pedal
    A delay (Donner yellow fall maybe)
    A Tone City Fuzz (I have this already)
    A Tone City Comp (I have this already)
    A TS mini (an investment but its the "Oasis pedal") ;)

All velcroed to a heath robinson board with a daisy chain to start off, then upgrade a bit later...

...would that sort me out?

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Regarding the PSU issue, playing at home, even at volume, through my normal amp I got no obvious noise when I used a good quality daisy chain.  As soon as it went into the Katana at Sasquatch, Bob appeared like the shopkeeper in Mr Benn saying "Noise!" :)

Not saying don't do it, just saying you might get caught out.

On the mini-delay front, I have a Tone City Tape Machine that I didn't really get on with - feel free to PM if you're interested.
  • @TTony - we are indeed aligned!
    Chaotic Evil?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Just to clarify, I love you all dearly :)

On both topics...

Perhaps we should look at what works and what gets used at Quad and see if a forum pedal board (or two) is a goer.  As Tony says, we are likely to be able to put a couple together with donations.

As for my personal board, taking on Snags points, I need to try it with the daisy chain, and see how it works out before punting £150 for an isolated supply I might use three times a year.  I'm going to go with....

A cheapo tuner pedal
    A delay (Donner yellow fall maybe)
    A Tone City Fuzz (I have this already)
    A Tone City Comp (I have this already)
    A TS mini (an investment but its the "Oasis pedal") ;)

All velcroed to a heath robinson board with a daisy chain to start off, then upgrade a bit later...

...would that sort me out?

For the most part yes.. but.. :)

Cheapo tuner - watch out what tuner you get.. i bought a cheapo chinese rowin special off ebay for £8.99ish once. It's definition for "in tune" was not the same as yours and mine.. more of a general area kind of tuning.

Yellow fall delays - they look cool - but are very noisy. Talk to @Snags about the tape machine. They are really good for the size/price. I would have snapped that off of him in an instant if i didn't have a caverns reverb/delay.. and a Joyo Quattro.. apparently 3 delays is "too much" :)

No argument with the rest - i like a lot of tone city stuff :)

Most of them (i think) are pretty low draw and you should be fine with a daisy chain.

@snags - what was making the noise on your board?

LuttiS said:
    @snags - what was making the noise on your board?

@LuttiS didn't track it down - as this was for one of the recordings I just took everything out of the loop apart from an overdrive (was playing clean but needed drive for some widdles, and would have liked delay). It would have been poor form to try and diagnose it properly taking one out at a time and thus delaying (ba-dum!) everyone from getting started (i.e. exactly the PITA scenario that TTony wants to avoid, and which I wholeheartedly agree with).

Prime suspect was one of the two digital delays.  Had a TC Flashback x4 and a Boss DD6 on the board, and it was probably one of those, or possibly even just the order they were connected - on my main board they both sit in a single loop, and I've noticed that if they're chained DD6 > Flashback x4 then there's a definite "pop" the first time that loop gets engaged.  If they're chained the other way, there isn't.   I can't remember what order they were in on the "make do" board, but with a non-isolated PSU it was probably academic anyway.

• REALLY dont see the point of buying a pedal board if you already have..........a pedal board.???
    In my case because my main pedalboard is large. It's fine if you're setting up with plenty of space, or have time to arrange stuff, and sort out all the cabling (4 cable + TRS to amp channel/reverb control).  It's totally unsuitable to use in a cramped space, or a situation where you're nipping in and out of a studio between songs on tight turnarounds.

Having a secondary board, with cheaper but still adequate "bare minimum" kit on which can easily be taken to jams, or be used in more confined space, or, as on yesterday morning, be used in a situation where it simply isn't feasible to use the main one just provides options.

It's a bit like saying "I don't see the point of buying a Les Paul if you've got a Strat".  Or even "I don't see the point of buying an electric if you've got an acoustic; they're all just guitars".  They're different boards for different purposes.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    TTony said:
    This might be a step too far, but I'll risk it ...

*IF* this simple pedal board really is a simple pedal board with nothing too esoteric or expensive on it, and one which will meet 80% of people's needs, then perhaps we look to put together a *forum* pedal board, rather than everyone bringing their own slight variation of the same thing?

That way it's tested beforehand so we know that it works, power's OK, no noise, etc.

I'm thinking "put it together" from donations primarily, although we do usually end up with a small surplus from the sessions, so we could probably fund some of it.
    I'm not that sure it would work, if there is two guitarists they may both want pedals plus someone will want to practice in a jam room with the pedals etc.

I'm intending on bringing a tubescreamer powered by a battery to be as simple as possible.
  • Snags said:
    In my case because my main pedalboard is large. It's fine if you're setting up with plenty of space, or have time to arrange stuff, and sort out all the cabling (4 cable + TRS to amp channel/reverb control).  It's totally unsuitable to use in a cramped space, or a situation where you're nipping in and out of a studio between songs on tight turnarounds.

Having a secondary board, with cheaper but still adequate "bare minimum" kit on which can easily be taken to jams, or be used in more confined space, or, as on yesterday morning, be used in a situation where it simply isn't feasible to use the main one just provides options.

It's a bit like saying "I don't see the point of buying a Les Paul if you've got a Strat".  Or even "I don't see the point of buying an electric if you've got an acoustic; they're all just guitars".  They're different boards for different purposes.

dood its still just an excuse, if you cant take your own pedal board to gigs then you're doing it wrong, I played in a live band for the last 4 years including us all having our guitars and synths to play in some of the tiniest spaces, if you cant gig it then it needs to be streamlined, using that reasoning  to buy another entire board is just daft from what I can see ................IMHO.............

Well, of course it's just an excuse.  It's all just an excuse. None of us actually need any guitars at all :)

I could get by with a much smaller main board, but like so many things, it has grown and crept over time, and it is what it is.  And one of things it is, is totally impractical for a tFB jam session (in terms of taking into the studio or using at the Outlane gig) where personnel are changing for every song. And there are other circumstances where it's less than ideal.

So for me, living my life, with my requirements in the situations I operate, having a tiny small board is nice, and has a value. Yes, it's a luxury/extravagance, but ... who cares? I'm luckily in a position to do that.  Maybe in a few years I'll go back to no pedals at all, or a  multi-FX. I dunno. But it'll be dictated by what makes sense to me at the time.

Anyway, this is @darthed1981 's thread on pissing his money up the wall, so I should probably stop the tangent.
  • @Snags yup ill give you that , theres nothing wrong with it , I suppose its just something I wouldn't do, so this being the internet, I was compelled  to force my opinion on everyone who sees things differently :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom