Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Police to revoke licenses immediately of drivers who can’t read numberplate at 20 meters

What's Hot
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12358
    Might stop some of the pensioners who get 'confused' and run pedestrians over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • What's that in old money?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited September 2018
    Well it's one of the requirements, all they're doing is enforcing it.  It's the easiest one to test from a practical standpoint of the police.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

"Standards of vision for driving

You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.

You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale(with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.

You must also have an adequate field of vision - your optician can tell you about this and do a test."

Also

"The practical driving test eyesight test

At the start of your practical driving test you have to correctly read a number plate on a parked vehicle.

If you can’t, you’ll fail your driving test and the test won’t continue. DVLA will be told and your licence will be revoked.

When you reapply for your driving licence, DVLA will ask you to have an eyesight test with DVSA. This will be at a driving test centre. If you’re successful, you’ll still have to pass the DVSA standard eyesight test at your next practical driving test."

• In between nicking the speed freaks, the uninsured, the drugged, the unlicensed, the very important people that just have to use their phones whilst driving and the just not very good, the 94 countrywide traffic policemen and women have more than enough capacity to get this enforced...

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    The glasses i got from Spec Savers are not as good as my previous ones. Ive been back twice to get them adjusted. Had to drive on both occasions wearing them. Gave up in the end as i could not make the time slot they gave me 5pm. The Mrs was expecting baby. I drove her to the Hospital and took her home with the baby wearing the same Glasses.If i had been stopped or had an accident would spec savers be liable. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJO said:
    The glasses i got from Spec Savers are not as good as my previous ones. Ive been back twice to get them adjusted. Had to drive on both occasions wearing them. Gave up in the end as i could not make the time slot they gave me 5pm. The Mrs was expecting baby. I drove her to the Hospital and took her home with the baby wearing the same Glasses.If i had been stopped or had an accident would spec savers be liable. 

Couldn't you have worn your old oes?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJO said:

I'm not a lawyer but I would guess no.

Not being able to make an appointment wouldn't make it legal for you to drive the car if your vision wasn't up to par.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • In between nicking the speed freaks, the uninsured, the drugged, the unlicensed, the very important people that just have to use their phones whilst driving and the just not very good, the 94 countrywide traffic policemen and women have more than enough capacity to get this enforced...

It's an easy target though.  If you've already stopped someone it won't take long to get them to read a number plate.  Doesn't sound like they're going to stop additional people, they're just adding this on as a test.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    What's that in old money?
    22 yards. The real question is who uses yards these days?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited September 2018
    munckee said:
    Might stop some of the pensioners who get 'confused' and run pedestrians over.
    IMHO, this was "not done" in Italy a few years ago. Rather than get police to check eyesight at roadside stops, their way of stopping pensioners running people was to make everybody drive with their headlights on in the daytime. FFS.

BTW, in the last couple of years I passed all the lorry/coach tests and need glasses for large vehicles, but not cars or motorbikes.

If you need glasses, you're supposed to carry a spare pair. Who does that?
  • Rocker said:
    22 yards. The real question is who uses yards these days?
    The old? 
  • JAYJO said:

Nope.

Just you. It's actually your responsibility :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    It's about one and a half rods.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My car's that old, that particular measurement's used in the handbook parchment...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JAYJO said:

Couldn't you have worn your old oes?
    Maybe. The new ones were to improve my eyesight wearing the old ones would not. What if i had lost my old ones ? etc. 

JAYJO said:

Nope.

I thought so to be honest.
    The thing is i failed the distance test on my Driving Test Twice and Twice the examiner chose a different car (nearer) to give me a second chance.
    I didnt fail any test because of my eyesight though i did fail twice. I passed without glasses and drove like Mr Magoo.
    I didnt realise how bad my sight was until i drove wearing glasses. Made it much easier.
    I will not be going back to the same optician i went to last time. I will try a different branch.
    I heard the other day on the radio that eye sight tests may be available online.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    sposin the only vehicle within view is a vehicle with a dirty plate, custom plate of a badly weathered plate?? Any allowances for this??

http://thumbsnap.com/s/HNZMUiES.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

JAYJO said:

Nope.

I thought so to be honest.
    The thing is i failed the distance test on my Driving Test Twice and Twice the examiner chose a different car (nearer) to give me a second chance.
    I didnt fail any test because of my eyesight though i did fail twice. I passed without glasses and drove like Mr Magoo.
    I didnt realise how bad my sight was until i drove wearing glasses. Made it much easier.
    I will not be going back to the same optician i went to last time. I will try a different branch.
    I heard the other day on the radio that eye sight tests may be available online.
    This post makes me really feel confident about driving on the roads
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    or 1 chain.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I went for an eye test at my local opticians last week. They did a number plate test so this has been planned for sometime. I totally agree with it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!