Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Police to revoke licenses immediately of drivers who can’t read numberplate at 20 meters

What's Hot

Comments

• Does no-one else here put down their visor and use the force to drive?

Pretty much everyone on the M62 yesterday
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15501
    christ, with the amount of drugs and booze in my system whenever I drive, my eyesight'll be the least of my issues. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    Wis'd.  My "spare pair" are cheap online ones.

They must be a bugger to put on. And the specs case must be a size as well.

We need the forces of law and order (or is that the law and order services these days) to enforce laws that underline the fact that driving is a privilege, not a right. Second time drunk dirving or first time more than twice over the limit - say good bye to your licence. Speeding more than once? One week in pokey for each mph over the limit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think people should be charged for causing accidents where it can be proven.. 

Ie, most accidents can be avoided by having due care and attention even if another driver is breaking the law, speeding or driving dangerously. 

People don’t realise the impact it has on everyone, or the non fault driver/s. 

Even if a guy hits me and I can prove I was 100% in the right, my insurance premiums still go up because I had to claim. How is that fair?

Not only that, where I work in Thurrock, theres a big old bridge called the qe2.

Last Tuesday a pair of fucking truckers smashed into each other near it..
    How?!? Its a 4 lane motorway (albeit trucks can only use the inside 3), all restricted to 50mph for miles. 

This happened at 3ish pm. 
    The bridge (the only access across the Thames for miles) was closed. All day. 

Whenever this happens, the m25 gets insanely clogged and turns into a car park. Which creates tail backs for miles. Which then blocks up big roundabouts which lead to and from the m25. 

Those clogged roundabouts then cause tailbacks for miles across the ENTIRE lakeside area. 

The result is a serious gridlock, miles from the site of the accident.

Lakeside shopping centre sits within a couple miles. With 3 ways in and out. All 3 ways lead to roundabouts which access the m25, or an A road that leads to the m25. 

The entire area lose hundreds of thousands in sales, other trucks can’t make deliveries and end up having to camp on the hard shoulders because their driving time expires, the bridge probably loses millions in tolls, and the emergency services/ highways officers cost a fortune to send out to clean it up. 

Big old impact on a lot of businesses.

Our store alone had 2 staff members who were on the late shift, who obviously couldnt get in, so thats a days wages they’ve just lost. 

For me personally. I just finished a 9.5 hour shift in the shittest job in the world. 
    Its 10pm and I can go home. 

Except by 1am I’m still sat in the fucking car park exits because no one can move. 

All because some dickheads ‘probably’ werent paying full attention, or like most drivers around here just happily cause an accident because theyre entitled to bully or fight anyone who they don’t like the look of, or who is driving within the limits.  

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I heard about the eye test on the news going up the m6. Apparantly its on the motorway signs as well but I couldn't read them. Btw I drove from Milton Keynes to Glasgow and saw one police car, hes going to be busy.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    skunkwerx said: by
    I think people should be charged for causing accidents where it can be proven.. 

Isn't that what car insurance already covers?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    57Deluxe said:
    sposin the only vehicle within view is a vehicle with a dirty plate, custom plate of a badly weathered plate?? Any allowances for this??

http://thumbsnap.com/s/HNZMUiES.jpg

They'd make you read the police car plate, I imagine.
    Was reading about it earlier.

If you fail the first one, they ask you to do a second one.  If you fail that, then they need to measure the distance to a third one (I guess so there can be no dispute), and get you to try that one.  If you fail that, then your license is revoked.

Seems fair enough to me.

Apparently they are cracking down because some old bloke killed someone 3 days after he had been told by his optician that his eyesight wasn't good enough to drive.
  • If my eyesight gets too bad to drive, I hope my employer would sort out a work-at-home deal.r
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited September 2018
    HAL9000 said:

Guess I meant the victims should be compensated better. 

When someone hit me previously, I luckily I had it on dash cam so my innocence was proven, but my premiums still rocketed up as a result of claiming for a non fault accident. Dont see how thats fair. 

When I questioned it, apparently now I’ve been involved in a non fault accident I’m more likely to have an ‘at fault’ accident so I’m riskier to insure?!

What a scam. As insurance often is. 

Lost a days wages cos I couldnt make my shift that night to boot. 

Guess thats life. But as a result I’m very unlikely to ever claim for anything now. I’ll just notify my insurers that its taken place and forget it. 

Can’t afford to be suffering financially because of some other idiot. 
  • skunkwerx said:

I think that people who cause crashes should be personally liable for the value of other peoples' time that gets wasted in a traffic jam caused by the crash.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    This is ridiculous. I've been driving for over 30 years and I've never had to read a numberplate whilst driving. I don't need to know somebody else's numberplate. Surely it would be more appropriate to sack a copper if he couldn't do it?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    skunkwerx said:

When someone hit me previously, I luckily I had it on dash cam so my innocence was proven, but my premiums still rocketed up as a result of claiming for a non fault accident. Dont see how thats fair. 

Absolutely agree with you there. 

As regards the the increase in premium I’ve heard that the insurance companys’’ reasoning is that it shows you’re the kind of person that will make a claim. To me that only makes sense if you claim for, say, a trivial paint scuff (and to be honest, insurance companies charge excesses to deter trivial or spurious claims). If the damage is significant then you shouldn’t be additionally penalised for making a claim.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • skunkwerx said:

I think that people who cause crashes should be personally liable for the value of other peoples' time that gets wasted in a traffic jam caused by the crash.
    Hear hear! And the emergency services time. They’re bloody expensive and stretched to breaking point as is without dealing with emergencies caused by idiocy. 

Of course if its a genuine accident or something totally unavoidable, then whoevers had it can’t be penalised. 
    I guess its a can of worms thinking about it. 

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    axisus said:
    This is ridiculous. I've been driving for over 30 years and I've never had to read a numberplate whilst driving. I don't need to know somebody else's numberplate. Surely it would be more appropriate to sack a copper if he couldn't do it?
    It's for those moments of "huh, what's that thing" *CRASH* ... being able to read a number plat at 20 meters means you'll likely see bigger things at longer stoppable distances or hazards as they develop down the road, rather than after you've run over the little girl that you thought was some fuzzy blur 

Or, road signs that say "warning, sharp things ahead" which cause your tires to burst and you skid on metal rims into a nursery filled to capacity with toddlers that wont be going home with mommy and daddy on account of the BMW grill embedded in their little faces or the bits of brick that crushed them

Being able to see *well enough* to drive safely is the point... then when you say "I didn't see him" of the small boy you ran over, you can go right to jail because you weren't looking where you were driving a ton of metal, as your eyesight is tip top.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Myranda said:
    axisus said:
    It's for those moments of "huh, what's that thing" *CRASH* 
    Oh yes, like [squints]  "M .... U .... R .... is that a 1? ....." *CRASH*

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    skunkwerx said:
    HAL9000 said:

Guess I meant the victims should be compensated better. 

When I questioned it, apparently now I’ve been involved in a non fault accident I’m more likely to have an ‘at fault’ accident so I’m riskier to insure?!

What a scam. As insurance often is. 

Guess thats life. But as a result I’m very unlikely to ever claim for anything now. I’ll just notify my insurers that its taken place and forget it. 

Can’t afford to be suffering financially because of some other idiot. 
    We claimed last year and our insurance went down this year.  It might not be the usual kind of situation though.  Someone reversed into our car while it was parked, with 2 witnesses.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    57Deluxe said:
    sposin the only vehicle within view is a vehicle with a dirty plate, custom plate of a badly weathered plate?? Any allowances for this??

Easy then .. just remember the reg plate of all cop cars...

3C1 L0P

It would be a productive stop for the policeman - they could fine the BMW driver up to £1000 for having a dirty number plate.
    this is a new fad - custom 'dark' plates...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    What's that in old money?
    22 yards. The real question is who uses yards these days?
    Ale drinkers.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    57Deluxe said:
    57Deluxe said:

Easy then .. just remember the reg plate of all cop cars...

3C1 L0P

It would be a productive stop for the policeman - they could fine the BMW driver up to £1000 for having a dirty number plate.
    this is a new fad - custom 'dark' plates...
    How come the wheels are wonky?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    ...must be your eyes - they look aright to me...from here...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>