Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Allure of the Headstock

What's Hot

Comments

• @JezWynd  - I hate that stubby horn look too.. but I just got a Shuker so what do I know? :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    When you are playing the guitar, you can't actually see the headstock anyway....

I can. It helps with tuning on my guitars.

:)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    JezWynd said:

It's the cresting wave upper horn, it's just so right.
    Mostly I’ve used 330/360/381-size semis!

They are very distinctive-looking whichever it is though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I am not opposed to alternative brands/headstocks but probably AFTER I have in my ownership some fine examples of the traditional makes. Probbo like many of us, I wanted to collect those guitars that were so iconic to me when growing up and no amount of 'better than' would suffice until those icons were nailed.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    All I ask is that its not a fugly shape! I like how Epiphone guitars play and feel but like a lot of others I just don't really like the headstock shape compared to a Gibson. I know it's shallow.
    That's kinda where I'm at myself. I have played many Epiphone LPs ... and yes ... they can be very good ... but there's bugger all elegance in that headstock shape ... to me it's like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa. And with many LP copies they mess around with the cutaway or the top bout shape ... for copyright reasons obviously ... but it spoils the harmony of the original design.  

I hate the Epiphone Les Paul headstock, but I DO like it when they (very rarely) use the classic Epi headstock on an LP - they should use it more often if they aren't prepared to go the whole hog and use the Gibson open book.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/E%20LP_zpsa3jci8fv.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    I am not opposed to alternative brands/headstocks but probably AFTER I have in my ownership some fine examples of the traditional makes. Probbo like many of us, I wanted to collect those guitars that were so iconic to me when growing up and no amount of 'better than' would suffice until those icons were nailed.
    Bang on..
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Fender and Gibson all the way for me. It does matter - it shouldn’t but it does. They were the aspiration brands when I was skint and learning. Now I can afford them........I have them 

Yeah that makes me a brand slag, but it is what it is.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    octatonic said:
    According to the cool kids club all my guitars are sterile and soulless,  because I mostly play Anderson, Suhr and PRS.

Ah well, they work for me. :)
    Often spoken by the same people that say “ if you learn to read music you’ll lose your soul in your playing”
    ;)
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    koss59 said:
    octatonic said:
    According to the cool kids club all my guitars are sterile and soulless,  because I mostly play Anderson, Suhr and PRS.

Ah well, they work for me. :)
    Often spoken by the same people that say “ if you learn to read music you’ll lose your soul in your playing”
    ;)
    I've always ignored that idea and learned theory over the years but recently I was playing an old synth I used to use years ago and it took me right back and I remembered that it used to feel so magical to stumble upon nice sounding things like chords or intervals etc. Whereas now I know all the available ones so it has definitely taken that naive magic away for me.

• Then there's other companies who manage to get it so wrong...

...and still sell shed loads, so what do I know? :s
    That looks like a pig carcass.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlw said:
    The name on the headstock doesn't bother me but the shape does.  I cannot be doing with the unsightly variations on the Fender headstock, Suhr, albeit one of many, being the worst in my view. 

And Vigier.
    Spot on.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    So we’re 70+ messages into a headstock based thread and no ones flagged up an image of a Tyler headstock or that massive BC Rich one yet ? Weird ! Or did I miss something ?
  • I don't mind the Tyler headstock. It's unapologetic and pretty much the only not-Fender that is properly trying not to be a Fender headstock. 

For me, I'm not a brand snob, but these days I know what I want, and don't like to compromise. So that means several partscasters with the "right" headstock (or very close in the case of my USACG-necked La Cab Tele), but I do like a "proper" Gibson. It's not that I wouldn't play a Tokai or a Yaron, but I don't really like the cheaper versions, and I don't see the point in spending several thousand and getting what is still basically a copy, rather than the real thing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I don't mind the Tyler headstock. It's unapologetic and pretty much the only not-Fender that is properly trying not to be a Fender headstock. 

It is basically a 'fuck you' to vintage purists too.

Tyler is a funny guy- the psychedelic vomit finish was meant to be a joke that people, inexplicably, seemed to like.
    edited September 2018
    rlw said:
    The name on the headstock doesn't bother me but the shape does.  I cannot be doing with the unsightly variations on the Fender headstock, Suhr, albeit one of many, being the worst in my view. 

And Vigier.
    Spot on.
    The worst for me are Anderson, followed by Suhr. They manage to be both bland and ugly at the same time - I’d take something overtly odd but distinctive like a Tyler any day, over that sort of lazy dull lack of design flair.

It shows just what geniuses Leo and Freddie Tavares were - they got it so right that even the slightly-incorrect shapes Fender have sometimes used - not the CBS one, which has its own style, but things like the Dan Smith and 90s USA, including the ‘Cunetto Relics’ - are glaringly wrong, and not just because they’re different... the lines don’t ‘flow’ properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rlw said:

And Vigier.
    I agree 100% with this... really  don't like the PRS or Suhr...

And yet... I now own a Suhr Alt T Pro !

And for me, if there is a better playing guitar, out there, Ive yet to play it...
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    IMO a Suhr or Anderson is just a well put together Strat, a Vigier on the other hand takes quality and innovation to a good few levels up.  Once I played one I stopped worrying about the headstock shape, they are brilliant guitars 
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    I prefer the big 70s Fender headstock. Looks much better than the undergrown one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited September 2018
    Of my 12 guitars I have 4 Fenders and 2 Gibson. The others are 2 Epiphone, 2 Yamaha, 1 PRS, and 1 Washburn.  So a reasonable spread. All my Fenders are USA but now that the quality and tone of Mexican Fenders has really shot up, I'd have no problem in buying one.  

When I buy guitars it's always been 'pre-loved (sounds better than used or second hand! Lol) simply because I can get a much better deal than new prices.  I'm with @ICBM in that I don't want a 'copy'.  If I want a Les Paul, Strat or Tele then for me it won't feel 'proper' without the right name and headstock. Unless I fell on a crazily cheap deal I wouldn't buy e.g. a Tokai Les Paul or Tokai Strat.

But I'd love a Suhr or a Tom Anderson simply because they are so well made, sound great, are hugely versatile, highly regarded and used prices are pretty stable. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Kitsune said:
    I prefer the big 70s Fender headstock. Looks much better than the undergrown one.
    I used to not like it, but eventually I realised that it actually seems to affect the tone of the guitar, in a good way - that deeper Hendrix/Blackmore sound - and then I started to like it. I can't say I actually prefer it, but I like them equally and I think of it as different in the way a Strat and a Tele are different. I wouldn't have a 50s-style 2-tone/maple neck Strat with one on, but a late-60s black or white Strat now looks better to me with the big head.

I really do think it affects the tone, and it's because the headstock is something like 30% heavier than the small one - that will definitely change the resonance of the neck.