Amazing photo colourisation

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
I've just been digging through my old bookmarks and found this again...  This lady restores and/or colourises old b&w photos.  She has a magical touch that makes the end result seem as if it was taken with colour film in the first place.  There's something about seeing a historical image in colour that makes it more 'real'.  Anyway, her website is here:- http://sannadullaway.com

You can see more of her work here:- https://www.redbubble.com/people/sannadullaway/portfolio/recent

Amazing !

e.g.;

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Glad to see everyone rushing to help the young lady in the crashed car.

"pah...women drivers' etc...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Remarkable! The first one especially.

Glad to see everyone rushing to help the young lady in the crashed car.

No need - there were only two outcomes in car crashes in those days... walk away, or death. Neither needs any assistance providing :).

Not sure it's a woman either...

What's strange is that both the broken wheel and the visible rear wheel have snow chains on, but the other front wheel doesn't. Firstly it isn't very snowy - certainly not on the road - and secondly (even if the fourth wheel has one on) that would be bound to make the car quite dangerous to drive. Perhaps that's related to the cause of the crash?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    ICBM said:No
    Remarkable! The first one especially.

Glad to see everyone rushing to help the young lady in the crashed car.

No need - there were only two outcomes in car crashes in those days... walk away, or death. Neither needs any assistance providing :).

Not sure it's a woman either...

What's strange is that both the broken wheel and the visible rear wheel have snow chains on, but the other front wheel doesn't. Firstly it isn't very snowy - certainly not on the road - and secondly (even if the fourth wheel has one on) that would be bound to make the car quite dangerous to drive. Perhaps that's related to the cause of the crash?
    Ice ?
  • If find that, with artificially coloured monochrome images, the underlying greyscale tonal contrast gives them away. It acts like the "key" element in four colour printing. With colour photographic print paper, the black is never one hundred per cent black. 

I do not doubt the skill and patience involved in processing the images but I prefer monochrome *as is*.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Iv'e always wondered what the first part of Wizard of  Oz would have been like in colour ..
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I love the recolourised images.. it's all well and good looking at black and white images, but for me it really drives it home and makes it much more real

• i was brought up on black and white TV  so owt looks good to me.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I think that they look pretty cool, but I have to admit it's the sort of thing I could probably do myself. Not that I could be bothered, it would be pretty time consuming!
  • If you like that, check out my friend Jordan's book, "The Paper Time Machine". He's basically the leader in the field; the album sleeve of the new Manics album was his work.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    There are some seriously talented people doing this and one guy has shown what he does in a YouTube video ... awesome and very time consuming.  If you have access to Photoshop and fancy having a go watch this - there are files you can download.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom