Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Guitar R9 sale - Anyone getting excited about these

What's Hot

Comments

• Love the R9 and it's a slimmer neck, right? 

For £3.5k I'd go for a custom Suhr, though. Build quality, reliability and running stability will just be superior.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 538
    Love the R9 and it's a slimmer neck, right? 

For £3.5k I'd go for a custom Suhr, though. Build quality, reliability and running stability will just be superior.
    Think someone said these '17 R8s had the same neck profile as the R9s, although I believe that is usually the case. 

Re: Suhr - perhaps, but so much less rock n' f'n roll. ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Yep, all of the 2017 R8/R9/R0 models have the same '59 neck profile.  This is unique to 2017, and has changed for 2018 in that R8s get fatter necks and R0s get skimnnier necks.again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1422
    Love the R9 and it's a slimmer neck, right? 

Of the two R9s I’ve played from this batch, one was exactly the same as my R8 and the other quite a bit smaller.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    If these had been released before the R8s I wonder if a similar stampede would have happened. Releasing now makes it hard to stomach an extra 1k for a pretty top.

Dumb really, surely there is more profit margin in these R9s at 3.5k than R8 at 2.5k?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    edited September 2018
    I already posted this in the mega-thread but for those who are interested:

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Twinfan said:
    Yep, all of the 2017 R8/R9/R0 models have the same '59 neck profile.  This is unique to 2017, and has changed for 2018 in that R8s get fatter necks and R0s get skimnnier necks.again.
    I don't think that's true - the R0s still had slimmer necks in 2017.
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1422
    crunchman said:
    I already posted this in the mega-thread but for those who are interested:

I think that’s gorgeous. That really is the twin of mine!
    Brize said:
    Twinfan said:
    I don't think that's true - the R0s still had slimmer necks in 2017.
    Ah, OK.  I thought all three had the same from what I'd read.  I may be wrong though  :)
  • Love the R9 and it's a slimmer neck, right? 

Sorry, top respect to you...but, no.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The fact is, beauty of the R8s aside, an R9 is usually 1k higher on second hand market.  Illogical but it was the R9 that I wanted not an R8.
    If you want the R9 looks, you gotta go R9.  It's a simple as that.

For me, looking for a players instrument, the £1000 saving for an R8 which has the same neck profile as an R9 is a no-brainer.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    edited September 2018
    I find myself looking at the R9’s too. But a third would be madness.........wouldn’t it?

My R8 is pretty enough.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve had a R0 parked in the basket all day. Trying to justify the extra grand for it 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Ossyrocks said:
    I find myself looking at the R9’s too. But a third would be madness.........wouldn’t it?

My R8 is pretty enough.

I was so close to picking up an R9 today, gorgeous and 8.4lb, but managed to hold back...

...for now
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TBH I'd pay an extra £1k for a lifetime guitar if it looked better. Same for cars - I'd pay a little extra for a bit of colour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    TBH I'd pay an extra £1k for a lifetime guitar if it looked better. Same for cars - I'd pay a little extra for a bit of colour.
    This is exactly what I was thinking earlier when looking at the R9s. For a product that lasts a lifetime, when you're at the stage of paying big money anyway, you may as well make sure that it ticks all the boxes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TBH I'd pay an extra £1k for a lifetime guitar (until it hit the classifieds) if it looked better. Same for cars - I'd pay a little extra for a bit of colour.
    FTFY ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    TBH I'd pay an extra £1k for a lifetime guitar if it looked better. Same for cars - I'd pay a little extra for a bit of colour.
    Likewise and I’d prefer the 59 for the flame but when a lot of the 58s also have nice flame it basically invalidates this for me. Unless you are dying for prs-esque huge tiger flame and a 9 serial no there is literally no reason to pay for the 59 over the 58.