Flats for Rock & Roll also country music???

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 2788
I play a Fender Precision through a Markbass combo. Our little band plays mostly country music with some Rock & Roll. My bass is strung with the factory round wounds and I am wondering if flats would be suitable for our music. Thanks guys.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 271
    edited September 6
    Love flats on my P bass although i’m Just trying out some NYXL rounds at the moment.
    I’ve been using  Ernie ball cobalt flats and really like them. 
    I’ve got a used set kicking about somewhere, I’ll stick them in the post if you fancy trying them out.

The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • P.s. 
    sorry didn’t answer your question but not really sure if the country boys favour flats or not.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 15892
    Chromes. Like rounds but mellower with some presence - will do the job nicely!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 2505
    Flats will work for everything, except perhaps hard rock and metal but even then with a bit of eq'ing and maybe a pedal they'd be fine. So much easier on the fingers.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 2788
    Thanks guys, I think I will get a set of chromes......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3401
    Rocker said:
    I am wondering if flats would be suitable for our music.
    Hell, yeah!
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 33342
    Flatwounds were standard for bass up to at least the mid 60s, so most of the classic country songs as well as all the original rock’n’roll records would have been done with them. One of the very first to use roundwounds was John Entwistle - the Danelectro Longhorn he had in the early 60s was fitted with them, and when he broke a string, the only way he could find of replacing it was to buy another bass! Apparently he ended up with three of them, all with broken strings.

Rotosound then started making the Swing Bass roundwound strings for him, and the rest is history... but I would guess most other players didn’t use them until at least the late 60s.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    ICBM said:
    One of the very first to use roundwounds was John Entwistle - the Danelectro Longhorn he had in the early 60s was fitted with them, and when he broke a string, the only way he could find of replacing it was to buy another bass! Apparently he ended up with three of them, all with broken strings.
    The infamous My Generation bass solo.  =)
    Funkfingers said:

The infamous My Generation bass solo.  =)
    Not quite! Apparently he had broken so many strings by the time they came to record it that he had to use a Jazz with LaBella flatwounds on it instead. It *should* have been the Danelectro though...

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/bass/bass6066.html
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    Thanks. Now I'm GASsing for a Longhorn. Sigh.
    Now I'm GASsing for a Longhorn. Sigh.
    Is that Polari? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Now I'm GASsing for a Longhorn. Sigh.
    Is that Polari? ;)
    Isn't he bold
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

• As I understand it Monk Montgomery playing with Art Farmer in 1953 generally seems to be regarded as the first recorded electric bass, the soundtrack to Return to the Forbidden Planet in 1956 the first time large numbers of people heard it and then Jailhouse Rock in 1957 is effectively the song that sold the instrument. So for rocknroll or country tracks pre dating 1957 it’s probably not bass guitar you can hear. 
    From then to the late sixties, as has been said, it would have all been flatwounds. 
    Dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dummmm.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 850
    I was at a festival a couple of weeks ago that had two Rock & Roll bands. In one band the bass player had a Fender bass and in the other it was an upright bass with mic under the bridge. Both bands were good but the one with the acoustic bass sounded far more authentic 50s R&R to my ear. And of course an electric bass guitar looks pretty boring ;) whereas an upright bass looks the dogs wotsits.
    Jimbro66 said:
    I was at a festival a couple of weeks ago that had two Rock & Roll bands. In one band the bass player had a Fender bass and in the other it was an upright bass with mic under the bridge. Both bands were good but the one with the acoustic bass sounded far more authentic 50s R&R to my ear. And of course an electric bass guitar looks pretty boring ;) whereas an upright bass looks the dogs wotsits.
    They are also feckin’ hard to play :)
    Jimbro66 said:
    They are also feckin’ hard to play :)
    Not for a man of your calibre surely :)
    edited September 8
    Jimbro66 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    I was at a festival a couple of weeks ago that had two Rock & Roll bands. In one band the bass player had a Fender bass and in the other it was an upright bass with mic under the bridge. Both bands were good but the one with the acoustic bass sounded far more authentic 50s R&R to my ear. And of course an electric bass guitar looks pretty boring whereas an upright bass looks the dogs wotsits.
    They are also feckin’ hard to play
    Not for a man of your calibre surely
    I’ve just managed to play comfortably numb bass part all the way through with no intonation issues on my fretless - if it then got turned round 90 degrees and was made three times as long I suspect I’d have a nervous breakdown D
    Jimbro66 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    I was at a festival a couple of weeks ago that had two Rock & Roll bands. In one band the bass player had a Fender bass and in the other it was an upright bass with mic under the bridge. Both bands were good but the one with the acoustic bass sounded far more authentic 50s R&R to my ear. And of course an electric bass guitar looks pretty boring whereas an upright bass looks the dogs wotsits.
    I’ve just managed to play comfortably numb bass part all the way through with no intonation issues on my fretless - if it then got turned round 90 degrees and was made three times as long I suspect I’d have a nervous breakdown D
    I played a gig once where the upright bass player didn't turn up but his bass was  already in the van so I volunteered to play it rather than have no bass. Jeez was it hard work and I can tell you that for the next few days my fingers were uncomfortably numb......
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Jimbro66 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    I played a gig once where the upright bass player didn't turn up but his bass was  already in the van so I volunteered to play it rather than have no bass. Jeez was it hard work and I can tell you that for the next few days my fingers were uncomfortably numb......
    I do know someone who plays Upright - the fingers on their right hand are constantly covered in Elastoplast and look like they shook hands with Edward Scissorhands... 

Gonna cut up a foam washing up scrubber later and shove it under the fretless strings by the bridge to see if I can fake it :D
    Jimbro66 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    I do know someone who plays Upright - the fingers on their right hand are constantly covered in Elastoplast and look like they shook hands with Edward Scissorhands... 

Gonna cut up a foam washing up scrubber later and shove it under the fretless strings by the bridge to see if I can fake it D
    Don't forget to give her* plenty of slapping. They like that.

* I'm reliably informed that all upright basses are she, leastways they are in eBay ads.
    Slap? I’d rather stick pins in my pot shaft!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    :-D
    I tried playing an upright once... it was like holding a shed with a tree growing out of the top. I could barely get my hand round the neck, it was about 2” deep. It was all I could do to get two notes out of it, and luckily that’s all the song needed... after that I passed it over to someone else!

Leo Fender is my personal hero for several reasons. This is one of them :).
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 1708
    JezWynd said:
    Flats will work for everything, except perhaps hard rock and metal but even then with a bit of eq'ing and maybe a pedal they'd be fine. So much easier on the fingers.
    Actually, the best metal ever recorded is flats. 
  • sparkspark Frets: 5
    I have use flats with punk rock, but.... problem was the feeling, I liked the sound but I felt the strings so strange that I couldn't handle it, so I moved back to round wounds. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 131
    edited October 24
    I've played bass in a country band for the last 3 years and use flats on a Precision or Mustang.

EDIT: I like D'Addario Chromes best.
    Keefy said:
    I've played bass in a country band for the last 3 years and use flats on a Precision or Mustang.
    On a Mustang I would imagine there's a high risk of breakage where they kink through almost a right angle at the bridge plate... I've broken a couple on machineheads if the full winding reaches the slot.
    ICBM said:
    Keefy said:
    On a Mustang I would imagine there's a high risk of breakage where they kink through almost a right angle at the bridge plate... I've broken a couple on machineheads if the full winding reaches the slot.
    Nope, I am on my second Mustang bass with flats. I was aware this could be an issue, but it never has been for me. Bear in mind that although the Mustang bass has a 30in scale length, you need 32in strings to accommodate the extra length through the body. As for your breakage-at-machineheads problem, avoid by not using long-scale (34in) strings.

Here's me with my MIM Pawn Shop Mustang a couple of years ago - the venue is a Mairie in central France:

Keefy said:

Here's me with my MIM Pawn Shop Mustang a couple of years ago - the venue is a Mairie in central France:
    I had one of those recently. If you - like I did - find it too thick and a bit muddy-sounding, rewire the pickup for parallel instead of series. It made a huge difference to the tone, and less than I expected to the volume.

In the end I couldn't get on with the thick body though - a friend is now lending me an original '72 one with the normal thinner contoured body. I'm using standard Rotosound Roto Bass on it, they seem fine even at the tuners.
    ICBM said:
    Keefy said:

I had one of those recently. If you - like I did - find it too thick and a bit muddy-sounding, rewire the pickup for parallel instead of series. It made a huge difference to the tone, and less than I expected to the volume.

That's exactly what I did! The bass instantly sounded much better, and you could back off the tone control without losing the upper mids.

I now have a MIM FSR, which is even nicer: