Pete Thorn stage set up video

What's Hot
Pete showing us all the mothership in action... the dudes sounds are the same as they’ve always been but his board keeps getting bigger!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited September 2018
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    All that gear and a Helix as a backup
  • John_A said:
    Got to get as many endorsements as can fit on a board!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    edited September 2018
    John_A said:
    I agree John... i enjoyed watching that and Pete's usual honesty. And it shows how good the Helix must be...
  • John_A said:
    I agree John... i enjoyed watching that and Pete's usual honesty. And it shows how good the Helix must be...
    so good its backup...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, I enjoyed that. 
  • John_A said:
    so good its backup...
    If Pete wanted he could have an entire B rig the same as his A. He used to.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    so good its backup...
    If it's only good enough to be Pete Thorn's backup for that truck load of super expensive stuff then it's still good enough for my 'A Rig' :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    so good its backup...
    And I bet the cost of shipping and logistics means he doesn't now. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • John_A said:
    so good its backup...
    He’s headlining arenas ffs I’m pretty sure they could afford to ferry a second pedalboard around 
  • John_A said:
    so good its backup...
    He’s headlining arenas ffs I’m pretty sure they could afford to ferry a second pedalboard around 
    Bands that sell millions of albums are reducing their equipment in a bid to cut costs when it comes to touring. 
    I'm also fairly sure he is a gun for hire and not a key member of said bands (I could well be wrong though, im not really a fan).
    I bet if he has to factor in his own transport costs he goes cheap. It all depends on the gig. 
  • John_A said:
    so good its backup...
    Bands that sell millions of albums are reducing their equipment in a bid to cut costs when it comes to touring. 
    I'm also fairly sure he is a gun for hire and not a key member of said bands (I could well be wrong though, im not really a fan).
    I bet if he has to factor in his own transport costs he goes cheap. It all depends on the gig. 
    Ok dude... Helix is shit and arena tours skimp on back up pedalbords. Got it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Got to admit, I can’t see how him having a Helix as a backup solution is a derogatory implication. Irrespective of shipping costs etc, if he’s happy that it could have to become his A rig half way through a gig, I’d say it’s an endorsement.

Whether it’s your thing or not, it’s a bit mad to imply that the Helix is somehow sub-standard when being something that someone is happy to turn to when playing arenas
  • Got to admit, I can’t see how him having a Helix as a backup solution is a derogatory implication. Irrespective of shipping costs etc, if he’s happy that it could have to become his A rig half way through a gig, I’d say it’s an endorsement.

Whether it’s your thing or not, it’s a bit mad to imply that the Helix is somehow sub-standard when being something that someone is happy to turn to when playing arenas
    Well said.  If you listen to and watch his YT stuff you'll hear him explain himself, he loves the board and he loves the Helix thing.

In one vid he went through the build of his board (by Dave Friedman) getting the weight down to enough for international flight restrictions. 
  • For me personally, the amazing thing here about the Helix is that its able to duplicate all of Pete’s WHOLE rig successfully. And that he chose to do so...

In his own words...

“So what I did with the Helix was copy the basic presets you hear in myrig rundown vid. That’s my PT100/pedalboard rig u hear in the vid, and it’s just crappy cam audio- I did that run through real quick! But you get the idea.

So to summarize, I made 4 basic presets, from clean and compressed a bit through to lead- just like on the real rig (which has 5 in my basic bank, but I just left out one, the one I use the least). For cab IR I used a celestion closed 2-12” with G12H creamback, to closely approximate my real rig. And I think I used the “dark 1” sm57 mic version of that IR.

Once again, the goal is to reproduce the real rig as accurately as possible in case I have to change mid gig to he helix!

I used the Lonestar ch1 for clean, to simulate the PT ch1, and a /13 9/15 for my edgy stonesy-breakup sound. For dirt and lead I used the BE100 (placater I think?) amp. 

I set up some simple delay and verb and wah/phaser, etc that I can switch in and out. Pretty basic!”

• He’s headlining arenas ffs I’m pretty sure they could afford to ferry a second pedalboard around 
    The key thing is that *he* isn't headlining arenas, he’s an employee of someone who is. I doubt he gets a blank cheque. It's more likely "here's how much space you get in the truck, fit your rig in to it or you can talk to the tour manager about why you're so special you should have more stuff."

Even if the budget for an arena tour is big, the outlay is still detracting from the end profit, so they won't be pissing money away. Freelance session work isn't exactly a get-rich-quick scheme either, so Pete probably doesn't want to have thousands of dollars sunk in to stuff that's only useful if a whole lot of other stuff breaks down first.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• For me personally, the amazing thing here about the Helix is that its able to duplicate all of Pete’s WHOLE rig successfully. And that he chose to do so...

In his own words...

“So what I did with the Helix was copy the basic presets you hear in myrig rundown vid. That’s my PT100/pedalboard rig u hear in the vid, and it’s just crappy cam audio- I did that run through real quick! But you get the idea.

So to summarize, I made 4 basic presets, from clean and compressed a bit through to lead- just like on the real rig (which has 5 in my basic bank, but I just left out one, the one I use the least). For cab IR I used a celestion closed 2-12” with G12H creamback, to closely approximate my real rig. And I think I used the “dark 1” sm57 mic version of that IR.

Once again, the goal is to reproduce the real rig as accurately as possible in case I have to change mid gig to he helix!

I used the Lonestar ch1 for clean, to simulate the PT ch1, and a /13 9/15 for my edgy stonesy-breakup sound. For dirt and lead I used the BE100 (placater I think?) amp. 

I set up some simple delay and verb and wah/phaser, etc that I can switch in and out. Pretty basic!”

See to be fair be used to do the same with his Nova System  lol but I catch your drift.

He seems happy to use the amp modelling on Helix now whereas before he seemed to be set against it (no matter what excuse he made) and lugged around a Kemper as well. The modelling on Helix definitely has improved a lot from the early days
  • Wow, Pete thorn is bloody boring 
  • timmysoft said:
    Wow, Pete thorn is bloody boring 
    Ok
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom