"Ex demos" from shops... anyone ever notice...

What's Hot
WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
Was just doing some window-shopping for no reason while I wait for a Skype call to start so checking out clearance sections of the usual suspects.

When it's Coda or Peach, it's usually like "has very small scratch by jack" or "pinhead-sized indent on back so we're taking 30% off the price."

When it's GG it's usually more to the effect of "headstock snapped off, has been professionally repaired. contains two fist-sized dents on the top and some rust on the hardware, here's 5% off."

Exceptions to every rule of course but this seems to be par for the course...
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I also recall seeing a couple of ex-demo guitars on GAK that were priced the same or HIGHER than brand new non-demo models.  WTF
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Whitecat said:

When it's GG it's usually more to the effect of "headstock snapped off, has been professionally repaired. contains two fist-sized dents on the top and some rust on the hardware, here's 5% off."
    It would have to be that bad for GG to admit to it being anything other than brand new - given that they sell returned, and in some cases clearly used, items as 'new'...

To be strictly correct, shops should be selling *any* guitar that has been out in the shop and played by other customers as 'ex-demo', but I know most won't if there is no visible evidence.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited September 2018
    This time in 2009 (on my honeymoon) I played a LP Classic in Gibson's shop after the Memphis factory tour.

After giving it back, the guy asked what I thought of it. I said it was great to play, but not for me as I'm not a fan of relic'd Les Pauls.

He said it wasn't for sale and had been a demo guitar since 1992. It really did feel like a new one.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14238
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Was just doing some window-shopping for no reason while I wait for a Skype call to start so checking out clearance sections of the usual suspects.

When it's Coda or Peach, it's usually like "has very small scratch by jack" or "pinhead-sized indent on back so we're taking 30% off the price."

and the whole 
    Exceptions to every rule of course but this seems to be par for the course...
    not defending or praising anyone here, but there is a difference between Coda + Peach and GG - Doug/John run one store - As such the whole make-up of their business can be run from one central point - As such they can see, comment and adjust as required on each individual guitar - ie the owner/manager can liaise quickly and easily with the web operator to update instantly as and when required

GG will have a central admin/hub for their web site and all relevant issues that go with it - So unless the branch manager sends appropriate input to the admin/hub, then the web site will not reflect such requirements as ex-demo - The store manager at GG effectively runs his own shop floor and not the company web site - Guitars might reflect an 'ex-demo' pricing in-store as required' but I assume they are far less proactive in ensuring such edits get through to the web team 

Signs of this were evident in the recent info regarding the R8's with John/Doug so much more proactive with pics, info, weight etc on each individual guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    When I bought my Epi Les Paul (from Waltons, South Great Georges Street, Dublin, now sadly closed) I played one that was 'left out' for people/potential purchasers to try out.  It had a few scuff marks but nothing serious so I took it to the desk to pay for it.  The staff did not want to sell it and actually took a few boxed Epi Les Pauls from their store for me to try.  Yet the shop demo guitar felt the best of the lot and by a fair margin too.  I told them that I would buy that guitar as I did not mind it having a few scruff marks or being thrown around in the shop.  Got a fair few quid off the selling price too.  I still have it and play it regularly, replaced the machines and the pickups in the intervening years.

Some years later, I took it to a shop for a setup.  When the work was complete, the tech plugged it into a Marshall plus 4 * 12 cabinet.  It sounded great.  A couple of youngish lads stood open mouthed at the sound, one of them said "Wow! and it is a fucking Epi"  To whom I said "it is my Epi, do you want to try it out?"  We all made a bit of noise with the guitar, the lads were amazed at how good it sounded.  The tech did a great job and it is still going strong, definitely a keeper.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    I almost bought a Suhr standard Pro throwback this year from GG but it had a horrible chip near the bridge, described as ex demo - on a poly guitar this looked awful! I really wanted the guitar but felt the discount was minimal to say the least and they wouldn't off any further money off. I still think about it as it played great. Maybe the one that got away. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Onpar said:
    I almost bought a Suhr standard Pro throwback this year from GG but it had a horrible chip near the bridge, described as ex demo - on a poly guitar this looked awful! I really wanted the guitar but felt the discount was minimal to say the least and they wouldn't off any further money off. I still think about it as it played great. Maybe the one that got away. 
    You might be right. Even if I get a new guitar back from the shop in perfect condition, it's usually got a ding or a scratch within 2 months. If it really upset you, buy it and get it repaired. It's amazing how much damage can be repaired so you can't tell from more than a couple of feet away.

Maybe it's still for sale....   ;)
  • I just got an ex-demo from Rimmer's. Dealt with someone in Bolton for a guitar that was llin Liverpool. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Not a mark on the guitar, plastics and tags still on. I guess it all depends on how it was handled during its time on the wall.