Favourite Fuzzdogs?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9441
edited September 7 in FX
Thinking about another round of pedal builds as I haven’t done any for a couple of years. 

What are people’s favourites? I’ve done a muff, Rat, fuzz face, and a few one knob boosters so far. Wondering about the KoT build but I suspect I wouldn’t like the pedal that much as I’m not playing at gig levels.

Any suggestions welcomed, including a potential phase or trem in a way she’ll for speed control...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 95
    Tremolo: I built the Lunar Shot -- https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Lunar_Shot_-_Optical_Trem/p847124_17359461.aspx

I really rate it. I've had a chance to compare it to a few now, including the Strymon Flint, and I still think it has a good mix of flexibility and simplicity, and it sounds really good. Clean, warm, rich, all that stuff.

P45 phase is also good: https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/P45_Phaser/p847124_7971603.aspx

My favourite of the others I've built was the Libido Boost, which is based on the Durham Sex Drive: https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Libido_Boost/p847124_17584757.aspx

That one has something about it, it just adds a lovely sparkle and a lift to your tone, with a bit of compression as if you are playing through an amp turned up a little higher. I don't particularly like the flavour of dirt when you turn it up enough to get it to really crunch, but with the gain down below about 1 o'clock, it's basically an always on pedal that makes everything sound ... more expensive.

The Lunar Module clone is also very good, as a useful and versatile fuzz/overdrive:   https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Moon_Unit_-_Dark_Side_of_the_Fuzz/p847124_14251409.aspx

BE-OD clone (the Ex-Con) is also good.

Ones I've not really liked much, the OD250 clone (which sounds good stacked with another drive but not on its own to my ears), and the Orange Squeezer clone, which is a bit woolly to me. I also didn't like the 820 drive, much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 648
    I like the mfz1. Kind of a heavy dirt or light fuzz depending on how you hit it. I'm dyyyyyying to build his DBA clones, brassmaster and ultimate octave but those are expensive kits.

Also, the noisy crocket is really cool and useful!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 2924
    The Supreaux is lovely.

Cant go wrong with a phase 45 if you like it nice and smooth. 
  • I built his Fuzzrite and its really good.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 455
    Peachy Fuzz - it’s big, it’s bold, it’s fuzzy, it’s a lot of fun, and it’s very usable - mine was on my main gig board for about 2 years, it took a Magnetic Effects White Atom to knock it off, and it may yet make a comeback for a while...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 2923
    edited September 7
    OCD with a bass cut and charge pump on board for 18v, Klone or Timmy.  
  • The Timmy is great, SHO is worth a build too.

the pitbull fuzz is super versatile and sounds great 
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 881
    Done a fair few, mostly boosts/drives/fuzzes.  On the gainier/noisier side, both the Mad Mule (Durham Crazy Horse) and Creme Fluff (Frantone Cream Puff) are great.  The Hotcake is absolutely spot-on, too. 

Most recently, I've built the ROG Omega treble/full-range booster.  I've got it in a 2-in-1 enclosure with the Creme Fluff, and that's a really killer combo.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Anyone done the Cone Cranker? I think it's an EQD Speaker Cranker clone
  • Just ordered the Fuzzrite kit, if that goes well i’ll be trying the Fuzz face, Harmonic messulator and Fat fuzz factory.

• Cheers all.

After a number of years of avoiding them, I've realised I actually quite like Tubescreamer variations, so I fancy trying the Libido, as well as maybe a Phase 90 and/or 45.

Looks like he's not doing the powder coated enclosures any more though, which is a shame as they make life much easier for someone living in an apartment with neither a pillar drill nor space to spray easily.
    I’ve bought powder coated enclosures elsewhere and the kit without enclosure. I have had good results drilling by hand without a drill stand or pillar drill. Using a stepped drill bit, a centre punch and a smallish bit to drilla pilot hole.

Bit noisy, though, and pre drilled enclosures are handy. 
  • Matt_McG said:
    I’ve bought powder coated enclosures elsewhere and the kit without enclosure. I have had good results drilling by hand without a drill stand or pillar drill. Using a stepped drill bit, a centre punch and a smallish bit to drilla pilot hole.

Bit noisy, though, and pre drilled enclosures are handy. 
    Yeah, it's just added hassle (i'm in the UAE so it's much easier if I can get international shipping for just one parcel rather than multiple!)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 598
    The Supreaux is lovely.

Cant go wrong with a phase 45 if you like it nice and smooth. 
    How did you apply the graphics? I always just end up doing something rough with Sharpie but it'd be nice to do a proper one.

The only fuzzdogs I have are the mini LPB1 and DbA Fuzz War/Raw Fuzz. I was going to do a star wars themed graphic for the fuzz war (labeled Blast for volume, Scum for gain and Taun for tone) but never got round to it. Would like to try some of their other fuzz or drive kits. The Eagle Claw one sounds interesting, anyone tried that?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 4303
    Matt_McG said:
    Tremolo: I built the Lunar Shot -- https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Lunar_Shot_-_Optical_Trem/p847124_17359461.aspx

I really rate it. I've had a chance to compare it to a few now, including the Strymon Flint, and I still think it has a good mix of flexibility and simplicity, and it sounds really good. Clean, warm, rich, all that stuff.

Does the Lunar Shot do a chopping on/off at all ? I'd like another Mad Doctor Stutter but if I can get a chop effect for less it would be handy.
    CEO ACME Moats Inc.
    edited September 9
    @Paul_C Yeah. ;;

I just quickly did that. Square wave with a few  speed settings, and then sine wave with the same. Depth at full in both cases. The speed range can go way higher, or way lower.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 2924
    @TTBZ the graphic is hand drawn with Posca pens and has had a clear coat of Envirotex lite thereafter. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 667
    Done a a.c. booster, and klon buffer, both pretty good.

Got my eyes on either a phase 90, 
    Or a single enclosure with klone and slightly modified TS to be like my favourite setting on palisades:)
  • Oooh, looks like pedalpartsplus.com do pretty much any enclosure you want, pre-drilled however you need, and in a bazillion colours. Looks like I'll be sticking to my block colour with dymo label approach :)
  • sgosden said:
    Done a a.c. booster, and klon buffer, both pretty good.

Got my eyes on either a phase 90, 
    Or a single enclosure with klone and slightly modified TS to be like my favourite setting on palisades:)
    That would be a lot of fun. I wonder if you could fit it in a single 1590B with 6 knobs? Probably a little tight..?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 2923
    Oooh, looks like pedalpartsplus.com do pretty much any enclosure you want, pre-drilled however you need, and in a bazillion colours. Looks like I'll be sticking to my block colour with dymo label approach :)
    Not sure about shipping to your part of the world but it was way too expensive to the Uk when I looked at PPP.  
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 4303
    Matt_McG said:
    @Paul_C Yeah. ;;

I just quickly did that. Square wave with a few  speed settings, and then sine wave with the same. Depth at full in both cases. The speed range can go way higher, or way lower.

thanks for that :) - looks like I'll be placing an order pretty soon, once I've rummaged through my pile of unused enclosures to see if I can get away without buying one.
    CEO ACME Moats Inc.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 1812
    edited September 9
    Anyone done the Cone Cranker? I think it's an EQD Speaker Cranker clone
    I'm selling one, if you fancy it? 

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107387/fs-eqd-speaker-cranker-clone

R. 
  • Adam_MD said:
    Oooh, looks like pedalpartsplus.com do pretty much any enclosure you want, pre-drilled however you need, and in a bazillion colours. Looks like I'll be sticking to my block colour with dymo label approach :)
    Not sure about shipping to your part of the world but it was way too expensive to the Uk when I looked at PPP.  
    Shipping starts at about $20, which isn't too bad, but there's an arbitrary uplift of another $20 or so with no reason given, so might drop them a mail. Need to work out a clear plan of what I want first. 
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 202
    Do the Fuzzdog kits use quality components?

I want to build the Cornish buffer clone & was thinking about buying the PCB from Fuzzdog & sourcing the components elsewhere - is it worth the hassle?

• breadfan said:

I want to build the Cornish buffer clone & was thinking about buying the PCB from Fuzzdog & sourcing the components elsewhere - is it worth the hassle?

I'm not aware of anyone ever complaining. The PCBs are really good quality, and everything else is pretty much standard as far as I'm aware. 

I can't imagine you'll save any money getting components from elsewhere. I think the PCB only option is more for those who have already bulk-bought pedal building gubbins but want a PCB to make their lives easier. 
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 202
    breadfan said:

I'm not aware of anyone ever complaining. The PCBs are really good quality, and everything else is pretty much standard as far as I'm aware. 

I can't imagine you'll save any money getting components from elsewhere. I think the PCB only option is more for those who have already bulk-bought pedal building gubbins but want a PCB to make their lives easier. 
    It wouldn't be to save money - in fact it would cost a little more with multiple postage fees - it was simply to use 'top shelf' components - whether or not they'd actually make any audio difference, I don't know..

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • breadfan said:
    breadfan said:

It wouldn't be to save money - in fact it would cost a little more with multiple postage fees - it was simply to use 'top shelf' components - whether or not they'd actually make any audio difference, I don't know..
    Ok, well it could make a smaller difference sound-wise, in as much as most "regular" components are built to a tolerance, so a 100k resistor might actual be 105k or 95k. If you pay more you can get tighter tolerances, so your 100k might only drift to 101k or 99k, but whether that's worth paying a lot more for is up for debate. For most components in most circuits probably not. 

Worth bearing in mind the manufacturers of the original pedals in each don't tend to go for super-tight tolerance components...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 447
    I've built a Green Stinger - a fuzz face or two is looking likely for the future as well.
  • Klone, Big Muff Ram's head, Timmy, BeeJuice, Gristleizer, Deep Blue delay, Lunar shot, FY2 Shin Ei, Klon Buffer, MicroAmp, ROG English Channel...

The last 3 are not moving from my board!
    Trading feedback here