Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Devin Townsend.

What's Hot
breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

I've been aware of Devin for years now,right back to his Strapping Young Lad days but never made much of an effort to listen to much of his work.

I watched him at Download last year on Sky Arts and thought he was great,Kingdom being the standout track for me from the few they televised.

This from the Royal Albert Hall.

I know he's a prolific writer so was wondering if any fans could point me in the direction of the best album to start listening to first.I know @bucket is a fan and @hootsmon I think.

What's your thoughts chaps?

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ocean Machine would be the typical answer I think. Addicted is also accessible, with less of the challenging/insane stuff than some other albums.

"Kingdom" as currently performed can be found on Epicloud, you will find plenty of that kind of sound on that album.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Synchestra..even if its jsut for the bonus dvd which contains this beast: 

I seriously think the first ziltoid album is genius too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I discovered the Transcendence album a couple of weeks ago and have been listening to it on a constant loop.  My wife hates it.  I love it.  The louder the better.  I suppose I should move on to his other albums at some stage.  I just feel it's particularly well judged in terms of the heaviness and the enormity of the overall sound.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    edited September 2018

Thanks guys,I'll stick some on in the morning while I'm doing the housework  =)

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Start at the beginning and work your way through the lot.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I've never heard him, well apart from the early Vai album that I bought and didn't really like.

I read an interview with Steve Vai and he said something about DT that I found disgusting and I purposefully avoided him from then on.

OK, so all that was years ago, I keep seeing his name turn up these days and I'm feeling like I need to investigate his stuff, I shall have to dip in and see what I think.

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    axisus said:
    I've never heard him, well apart from the early Vai album that I bought and didn't really like.

I read an interview with Steve Vai and he said something about DT that I found disgusting and I purposefully avoided him from then on.

OK, so all that was years ago, I keep seeing his name turn up these days and I'm feeling like I need to investigate his stuff, I shall have to dip in and see what I think.

eh?
    tae be or not tae be
  • hootsmon said:
    axisus said:

eh?

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Synchestra..even if its jsut for the bonus dvd which contains this beast: 

Awesome! Ta, never seen that before. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    You can't really go wrong with any of the DT back catalogue. Although I'd go with the following:

Ocean Machine - First solo album shortly after the colossal SYL album City
    Terria - Devin goes ambient and proggy. He ditches the ESP for a Strat. Worth it alone for 'Earth Day' which is ten minutes of sheer genius.
    Accelerated Evolution - Probably the finest mix of everything he's done and I'd say my favourite DT solo album overall.
    Epicloud - I was going to include Addicted which is kinda similar but I just prefer this. The production is sensational and it just sounds huge. Incredibly catchy throughout and very heavy.

Worth noting also that I think ever since Anneke from The Gathering started appearing on his albums it's given him a new spark. Well...sort of...she did first appear on Addicted nine years ago now...

Also - for a good laugh, check out his Punky Brewster album from 1994. Not only is it hilariously juvenile but some of the songs are legitimately awesome.

Thanks @Dopesick that Punky Brewster album sound right up my street.

Had a listen to Epicloud at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.Quite eclectic.

Not so sure my neighbours would have enjoyed it quite so much  :open_mouth: 

Infinity is massively awesome too:

• Don't forget to check out live stuff on YouTube.  This is probably my favourite version of Hyperdrive.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Thanks for that @guitarfishbay .   

What a beautiful couple of songs.

• hootsmon said:
    axisus said:

eh?
    https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/wtf/devin_townsend_that_time_i_took_a_dump_in_steve_vais_guitar_case__shoved_jay_lenos_phone_up_my_ass.html

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2018
    hootsmon said:
    axisus said:

eh?
    https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/wtf/devin_townsend_that_time_i_took_a_dump_in_steve_vais_guitar_case__shoved_jay_lenos_phone_up_my_ass.html

Far Beyond Awesome.
  • boogieman said:
    Synchestra..even if its jsut for the bonus dvd which contains this beast: 

Awesome! Ta, never seen that before. 
    When I wrote this I was originally inspired by that live version of deadhead....dont think I managed to get the insane girth when the rhythm guitar kicks in though:

You can prob hear the similar figure in the choruses.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    I love Heavy Devy, but I don't really listen to his music much or really like it. I think I've got City, Infinity and Ocean Machine though. I also like the fact he's turning into Wilko Johnson.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    I've literally discovered him today...Then I've just clicked on this thread...How weird!?!

A great find - Very pleasing to listen to  :)