Put Variax electronics into a another guitar

What's Hot
I've picked up a Variax and it's got some interesting sounds, but the gutar itself may not be the greatest.

I'm wondering about putting the electronics into another guitar - maybe a Strat or doubleneck.

Has anybody done this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27485
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28179
    That's me! 

Yes. Did it with Sporkaster 1, which has a Variax 300 inside it. Not helped by being a bit undersized, but it's perfectly DIY able. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    @impmann has done a few too, i'm sure it can't be that hard, I pondered hooking the variax main board to a Roland GK back when I had time 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited September 2018
    TTony beat me to it but I tried Sporky's conversion at a gearfest and it all worked very well and that was a nice guitar, Andi.

Does this help and as you've probably seen, there's quite a few things out there on the internet on this

https://shop.rall-online.net/Guitar-Making/Neubau/Variax

I can't remember if Charlie Chandler had done one
    Jonathan @FelineGuitars - Have you ever done one?
    I should have some build pictures, I'll see if I can dig them out. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    It depends on the model of variax as to how tricky it is. The v300/600 has a large metal ‘coffin’ inside that has to be accommodated but once the chopping out has been done, the rest of it is easy.

The JTV system is probably (imho) the easiest especially if you intend running pickups as well.

Bear in mind that Warmoth can make you a body pre cut for the variax bits (Tele or Strat shaped). Not the cheapest but a lot neater and easier than some!

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    I believe that Warmoth haven't made the Variax bodies for a few years now.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4920
    Wow - thanks for the info!
    It's a 300 I have; there are some good sounds in there, including 12-strings which are great when strumming chords.
    The previous owner replaced its neck with a Strat copy one which needs a bit of setting up.
    But then I got to thinking about options...
    I've got a Mex Strat with a Roland pickup on it, but having Strat plus synth plus Variax might be a bit OTT.
    A doubleneck would be cool (bass on top and Variax guitar on bottom).
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'm doing it at the moment. It's a bit of a pain though as I think I will have to extend most of the wires to achieve what I want. I'm having a bit of a timeout whilst I scratch my head a bit.
    I'd say keep it simple. Integrating magnetic pickups is tricky, integrating a GK is going to be horrible.

I had to have custom ribbon cables made up for mine. 
  • ADPADP Frets: 184

I have the guts of a 300 (or a 600), which I've removed from the coffin and connected to a rare DIY RackVax interface (picture below). This way, I can get all the Variax sounds from a Roland-ready guitar. It's not as handy as having all the controls on the guitar, and at the moment it's just a bunch of bits looking for an enclosure to live in, but I'll get around to that one day soon.

The version I have also works with the newer JTV/Standard electronics, but unfortunately they're not readily available without sacrificing a guitar.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ooh. That's nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I looked at the RacVax a couple if years back, but as @ADP mentioned they seem to be rare
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    I struck it lucky with mine. It came with all the hardware - Variax gubbins, cables, power supply and even a Workbench interface - for just over a hundred quid.