Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wave guitar build project

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    DiscoStu said:
    Megii said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Looks good to me. The cut out on the body reminds me of something else though and it's bugging me what it is!

Something good I hope, let me know if you remember! :)
    Got it! Tom Araya's old bass:

Mines pretty much exactly that reversed isn't it? A complete coincidence though, ah well, there is nothing new under the sun it seems!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Megii said:

Mines pretty much exactly that reversed isn't it? A complete coincidence though, ah well, there is nothing new under the sun it seems!
    You want the bad news? It's a BC Rich WAVE.

I always thought Tom + that bass looked killer. I didn't know they made a guitar version of it until now:

I don't like that much at all, whereas I think the bass looks great. I prefer your take on the design, Megii. Your 'standard' horns are far better aesthetically and the reversed wave works really well.

I'm not sure your design and name are necessarily 'coincidences', but your reworking of this design is a winner in my book and I look forward to seeing this one finished!
    Well, cheers for liking the design Stu! I promise you, hand on heart - the name and resemblance was indeed totally coincidental, I was absolutely unaware of the BC Rich Wave instruments until now. There were a number of influences at work in my head, but not that one. But as I say, nothing new under the sun, really all I hoped to achieve was something I liked, and I'm not terribly worried about how original it is or not, or that they used the "wave" name before me (as long as they don't sue me!). It is a good-looking bass I must say!
    There are only so many things you can do with a guitar body before you end up in whackjob territory. As a complete design, I haven't seen yours before so hats off to you. There are certainly influences going on but the same can be said for music. There's only 12 notes! Of course some songs are going to sound the same and why there's so many G/C/D songs in the world but it's the extra subtleties on top that set them apart.

Now hurry up and get this built!
    I agree with you completely Stu - as you say, there are only so many sensible variations out there on the electric guitar design, and enough decades have passed now that they've all been done before, one way or another. I'll do my best to get going on the build as soon as I take delivery of the body (tomorrow - can't come quickly enough!), though I tend to go carefully and not rush with builds.
    Megii said:
    though I tend to go carefully and not rush with builds.
    Tell me about it. I started my latest build last September and it's still in bits haha!
  • Megii said:
    It is a good-looking bass I must say!
    Yours looks better IMO
    DiscoStu said:
    Megii said:
    though I tend to go carefully and not rush with builds.
    Tell me about it. I started my latest build last September and it's still in bits haha!

I guess I'm hoping I'll be there in about a month and a half's time, but quicker if I can - hope that's not to ambitious! What is you build that's taking so long may I ask?

Megii said:
    It is a good-looking bass I must say!
    Yours looks better IMO
    Thanks GM, you are very kind!
    :\">
    I'm making a La Cabronita Telecaster but life shit has gotten in the way this year.
    The body is cut but not routed. It wouldn't take much to get it finished but I haven't had the time or drive to get it done.
    I've got enough other guitars I don't play anyway! 
    :D
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    That looks great - very cool to see that they'll make a body to you're specs.... that could be very handy in the future :)

Coincidence I know but it does remind me of Paul Gilbert's fireman guitar.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished guitar :)
    Making your own body - that's in advance of my own abilities, respect! I know what you mean about finding the time and drive for a project - I tend to go a bit mad for a few weeks, then collapse and wonder how I ever did it. Hope you'll find the right time to finish your La Cabronita before too long, and post some nice pics of the process too.
    John_P said:
    That looks great - very cool to see that they'll make a body to you're specs.... that could be very handy in the future :)

Coincidence I know but it does remind me of Paul Gilbert's fireman guitar.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished guitar :)
    Thanks John, it did take the exchange of quite a lot of emails to get all the specs sorted and detailed correctly, fair play to Phil at Guitarbuild for being prepared to take trouble and get things right. I do think it's attention to detail that makes the difference with something like this. Funny about Paul Gilbert's fireman guitar - someone else on another forum said exactly the same thing. As soon as I checked out the Gilbert guitar I could see what he meant, but yet another coincidence! :)
    Megii said:
    Making your own body - that's in advance of my own abilities, respect!
    It's not that difficult with the right tools. I do most of the work with a router.

Cheers Stu, I'll give it a go one day - that looks nice btw. :)

I am parcel-tracking now, my guitar body was loaded onto the delivery vehicle just after midnight, but no further news so far... The time can't go fast enough lol.

It's has arrived, unpacking now... :)

Some pictures! :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Some more angles, a really nice looking bit of swamp ash:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

A couple more...

Very pleased how this has turned out, almost seems a shame not to just leave it as a piece of sculpture...

Took some shots with the neck fitted, it was worth the effort of posting the neck to www.guitarbuild.co.uk to measure as the neck pocket fit is perfect: