Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Budget alternatives to Gibson LP & SG Junior?

What's Hot
As per title, anyone got or played a budget SG or LP Jr?  If so how did/do you rate it? Pros & Cons...
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

•  Not a junior, more a special. 
    Vintage VR100lm I have just managed to hunt one down and love it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Vintage brand can be good, Epiphone of course plus Tokai as well.  Gordon Smiths can be great but QC on the older ones varies, so try before you buy.

I gigged an Epiphone SG for several years and had no issues with it whatsoever, although I'd fitted upgraded pickups and wiring.  It wasn't as dynamically sensitive as say a Custom Shop Gibson, but when banging out AC/DC though a 100w stack it did the job just fine  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    I had a PRS Se One a few years ago, was a great guitar and wish I’d not let it go.
    They seem hard to come by now though, I suspect folk that have them are holding on.
  • Gordon Smith
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • The Vintage double cut Jr gets some love but the pick up is a stacked hum cancelling jobbie which isn’t everyone’s cuppa.
    Older Gordon Smiths but as has been said they are a bit variable. 
    Reverend Sensei Jr,  may not be very budget though. 
    Fret King Esprit I ( £529 new so potential used bargain somewhere), Fret King DBC ( okay, not so budget any more). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I've always liked the look of these, cheap and cheerful but have something quite cool in my eyes.

• I've had a VS6mrpcr (catchy name!) It's an SG Jr clone & was rather good, prone to neck dive though. The P90 was surprisingly good quality. 
    I sold it after a while as the neck was just too thin for me (I got cramp after an hour or so)

I now have a Gould Shock. It's cheap & cheerful, but it's still light, resonant & easy to play. 
    https://imgur.com/a/iNc8Fp6

It's actually up for sale in the classified section, but I don't REALLY want to sell it- I'm hoping my other guitar goes and I can hide this one under the bed! (Besides, my daughter wants it to be hers). 
  • I love that Gould @stimpsonslostson ;
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    What price bracket are you thinking? I normally think of budget as £250 area
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    I've always liked the look of these, cheap and cheerful but have something quite cool in my eyes.

Ooooo,loving the look of these.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • I've always liked the look of these, cheap and cheerful but have something quite cool in my eyes.

Ooooo,loving the look of these.

Yes they look cool, but no tone control??
  • Schnozz said:
    What price bracket are you thinking? I normally think of budget as £250 area
    Yes something like that. Just want to scratch that P90 itch. Probably just one of those purchases that won't last long hence the budget

• I've had a VS6mrpcr (catchy name!) It's an SG Jr clone & was rather good, prone to neck dive though. The P90 was surprisingly good quality. 
    I sold it after a while as the neck was just too thin for me (I got cramp after an hour or so)

I now have a Gould Shock. It's cheap & cheerful, but it's still light, resonant & easy to play. 
    https://imgur.com/a/iNc8Fp6

It's actually up for sale in the classified section, but I don't REALLY want to sell it- I'm hoping my other guitar goes and I can hide this one under the bed! (Besides, my daughter wants it to be hers). 
    Haha that shock is something else! Think I'd have the same problem with my daughter on that one. Cool tho ;)

• What about quincy (Glasgow)? They pop up on ebay all the time ..
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    SimonC said:
    I had a PRS Se One a few years ago, was a great guitar and wish I’d not let it go.
    They seem hard to come by now though, I suspect folk that have them are holding on.
    I came here to say this. I had a PRS SE One. It was an amazing guitar. Not just “for the money” it was just great. Only thing is mine had a push mark in the back of the neck and I’m a bit OCD about that ..
  • DrBob said:
    SimonC said:
    I came here to say this. I had a PRS SE One. It was an amazing guitar. Not just “for the money” it was just great. Only thing is mine had a push mark in the back of the neck and I’m a bit OCD about that ..
    Know what you mean.. I find PRS necks quite wide tho. I play with the thumb over so wide necks dont suit me
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Got a Fret King Eclat which I put up for sale then withdrew as I realised it's actually very, very good!

Will spend the money and get the truss rod replaced because £300 will not buy you a better Les Paul copy.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/139020/fs-fret-king-eclat-has-issues-150-withdrawn#latest

Those are pretty cool! Any info on where to get one within in the UK? that $140 shipping + import doesn't make it seem as attractive for a bit of a daft purchase.