Tiny amps

What's Hot
underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
Well I'm after a new amp, all valve and for home use. I like a Marshall kind of classic rock sound. So looking around I've seen a JCM1 and also the SL5. Now the SL5 can go down to 1watt mode and the JCM to 0.1 watt.

Is there any other amps I need to look at? I'm thinking 1watt or lower, and if possible I like to buy a head rather than combo.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited April 2014
    Here's a Kustom 5w EL84 amp head for £78 new!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

http://www.thomann.de/gb/kustom_defender_5h.htm
    Cheers but 5watt is going to be too loud for what I want it for, should probably mention I've already got an Epi VJ 5watt head and cab.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    edited April 2014
    I'm using a Smokey and a Pignose a lot at the moment.

Neither are valve and it doesn't make them any less useful.

Only just got the Pignose and it is way louder than the Smokey. Both a great and I've bought them for both using around the house, down the pub, around mate's houses. 

I also intend to use them for recording as they both have these great tones that you just cannot coax out of large amps.

I have owned a ZVex Nano head and similar in the past. They are great, but also really loud in comparison to the stuff I'm using at the moment.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I'm in the same boat as you.

I've got an Orange AD5 which is glorious but you'd swear was way louder than 5 watts.

I'm going gear shopping next wek to check out the JCM1 and the Blackstar HT1.

• I tried out a guitar the other day through a Blackstar ID Core 10 thing.  It was £89 and sounded great.  I'm tempted to buy two for teaching.
    stonevibe;207743" said:
    I'm using a Smokey and a Pignose a lot at the moment.

,,, sad fact that in only a couple of years younger bods will have no idea of the relevance of your Smokey !
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Thing is I only play at home so I want the best I can get, so I do want all valve, I have a pocket pod to practice as quietly as possible, so something small that can be driven hard at decent volume
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Laney cub 12r. 1 watt or 15 unput.
    Really really nice little amp for home use cool tones.
    I tried out a guitar the other day through a Blackstar ID Core 10 thing.  It was £89 and sounded great.  I'm tempted to buy two for teaching.
    If you're like me and keeping the sound down IS an issue, then it's probably worth checking a range of stuff, and those do look like well thought out amps. I shall certainly try one if I get the chance. 

I'm only looking to buy a new amp partly cause it's nice to get new gear but also cause my son' nicked my old Microcube.

Of necessity I'm currently going into my Orange amp using pedals for drive sounds and I'm having fun with that, so you never know Imight just stick with that for the time being. Depends on how tempted I get by that Marshall JCM.  
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Yes the solid state 9v Marshall sounds like it fits all criteria I requested.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    It's not easy.
    The problem I find is that I need to feel air move to give me a hard on so I can't really buy practice amps.

This also means that I can't really buy satin finish guitars because the part that goes shiny first is embarrassing.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited April 2014
    I thought the Andertons Marshall 1-watt (for their Anniversary) sounded really excellent in the clip with Joe Bonamassa. Head only available. Not sold out yet. Will it hold it's value? Maybe.
    I was tempted but see previous post.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    should this be in the ... you know... amp section?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    epiphone valve junior
    AC4TV
    harley-benton GA5 (used to be combo, they still do the head AFAIK)

btw @frankus is quite right
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Skipped said:
    It's not easy.
    The problem I find is that I need to feel air move to give me a hard on so I can't really buy practice amps.

This also means that I can't really buy satin finish guitars because the part that goes shiny first is embarrassing.
    There are all manner of things I could say in reply to this, but perhaps the cleanest is why not switch on an electric fan when you play?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    57Deluxe said:

Pleez ... you've just excited my GAS again ... you could suppress it by pointing me to a review that says it sounds crap!

I liked it 'cos it will work with the HB G212 Vintage cab I bought recently
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    /\ 

As someone who remembers encouraging you to buy that cab on a previous thread, I should point out that a nice new head to go with it is absolutely necessary. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    JVM410

That's not a joke. You can pick one up second hand for about the same price as a new 1W Marshall, it's all-valve, is pretty much 'the best' Marshall available and you're not really any less 'driving it hard' than you are with a 1W amp that uses a preamp valve as its output section. And it will sound better.

Also get a proper cabinet with something like a Greenback - it will be safe enough at the sort of volume you'll want to use at home, and contrary to popular belief you don't have to push them to get them to sound good. Avoid V30s though, because you do (at least a bit).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom