Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Vinyl

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Matt_McG said:
    @darthed1981 it had to play vinyl, but she'd rather have some new terrible crappy new thing from HMV with a P-mount cartridge and quality in line with a bottom of the line 'catalogue' bought record player (like the one my sister had in 1985). Bluetooth connectivity was also preferred (which I guess I can see the justification for).

But in all of the discussions we had, sound quality was always dismissed as irrelevant. She wasn't buying it to play old records, or to buy into the sound of vinyl -- we can argue whether or not that's something we should care about, but it's a reason that codgers like us buy records -- it was purely about being the kind of person that plays vinyl LPs. Even if it sounds like crap.
    I think we all forget sometimes just how important appearing cool can be when you are young!

I never was even remotely cool and I was a pretty socially isolated type.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

Back when I used to buy records, I didn't really care too much about sound quality either.

My set up was Technics 1210 Mk2  into a Rane TM56 mixer into a cheapie Denon amp with some Denon speakers. I used Shure M44-7's.

For me it was what records I could get my hands on that others couldn't (I used to DJ). I had the advantage of working in a record shop at the time. Unfortunately some months I hardly took home any wages as it all went on records.

I no longer have a record player, or mixer, or amp / speakers, but I still own over 2,500 12" s. It's quite silly really.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Records is just a contraction of recordings, so could refer to any format, vinyl is more specific in an era when you have a choice of different formats. After all no one gets called a hipster for calling something a compact disc. 

So why don't we call CDs Polycarbs?

I love playing vinyl and used to collect different coloured vinyl in the 70s Yes, they were still called records but I don't mind the term vinyl.

• kaypeejay said:
    Records is just a contraction of recordings, so could refer to any format, vinyl is more specific in an era when you have a choice of different formats. After all no one gets called a hipster for calling something a compact disc. 

So why don't we call CDs Polycarbs?

I love playing vinyl and used to collect different coloured vinyl in the 70s Yes, they were still called records but I don't mind the term vinyl.

Why don't you call wine grape juice?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Vinyl is a much more useful term, records is far more generic. Record is presumably a shortened version of recording, and that covers music in all formats. 

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Vinyl is more generic than record!
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 307

I would imagine it stemmed from the voice o graph booth.  Then as different media became popular the term Vinyl was used to differentiate from other type of recordings

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    This reminds me of the question "when was the acoustic guitar invented?"

The answer is 1931, because before that it was just called a guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Worth remembering that the absolute heyday of record buying and listening was during the period where teenagers listened to things on their dansettes, on cheapy players in listening booths, and when using cheapy tape recorders to record off the radio.

People get far too hung up on "sound quality". A great song played on a dansette is still a great song. 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    "Vinyl" is fine.
    "Vinyls" is not.
    If you call a turntable a "vinyl player" I will hunt  down and kill you.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Trude said:
    "Vinyl" is fine.
    "Vinyls" is not.
    Give me a shout. I’ll help. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    ICBM said:
    This reminds me of the question "when was the acoustic guitar invented?"

The answer is 1931, because before that it was just called a guitar.
    So the electric guitar and the acoustic guitar were invented on the same day! Wow, what are the chances of that?!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    "Vinyl" has been used for decades. When Shane McGowan was better known as Shane O'Hooligan (lead singer of the Nipple Erectors) he worked in "Vinyl Solution" in Hanway Street.

"Vinyls" is also fine, but only if referring to those horrible padded wallpapers from the 70s.

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    CHRISB50 said:
    Trude said:
    "Vinyl" is fine.
    "Vinyls" is not.
    Give me a shout. I’ll help. 
    Game on.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • I don't mind vinyls. I don't remember people objecting to 'tapes' or 'videos' in the past

• Trude said:
    "Vinyl" is fine.
    "Vinyls" is not.
    I have certain skills, skills that make me a nightmare for people who say "vinyl player"... etc...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought this thread was going to be about that HBO series with the coke and that. 

Records. Iove them.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"