Elite Violinists Can't Distinguish Between a Stradivarius and a Modern Violin

vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-behavior/2014/04/elite-violinists-fail-distinguish-legendary-violins-modern-fiddles

It's not just guitarists who claim vintage is better. The article linked above describes how elite violinists can't tell a Stradivarius from a top-quality modern violin, when a double-blind study was run.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Cheers. I missed that post for some reason.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited April 2014
    I missed that whole thread (which was right up my street).
    Ancient  and heavily repaired Italian Violin bought by young  pro musician at great expense that they can barely afford..............(Why?)   =  Player Grade Vintage Les Paul.

:D

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Because if you're good enough to have access to a Stradivarius (usually owned by an investor and then loaned to the musician) then it's on your CV. This mojo coverts into bookings whcih then self-perpetuate.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Cheers. I missed that post for some reason.

Your thread title is better :-)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I never was good at coming up with names.
  • http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-behavior/2014/04/elite-violinists-fail-distinguish-legendary-violins-modern-fiddles

It's not just guitarists who claim vintage is better. The article linked above describes how elite violinists can't tell a Stradivarius from a top-quality modern violin, when a double-blind study was run.

Top guys in their field can't tell the difference between one acoustic instrument and another, with no added influences, yet some guys on this forum, can tell the difference between two solid guitars made from different materials ? Maybe these Violinists need some help from members of this forum :-\"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Top guys in their field can't tell the difference between one acoustic instrument and another, with no added influences, yet some guys on this forum, can tell the difference between two solid guitars made from different materials ? Maybe these Violinists need some help from members of this forum :-\"
    I don't think that's what that proves at all - just that they couldn't tell the difference between identically-constructed old and new violins, not ones made from different woods. In guitar terms that's the same as saying you can't tell the difference between a real 50s Strat and a CS Relic - not that you can't tell the difference between body woods.

I'm sure if you made a violin with (say) mahogany back and sides instead of maple, the players would easily be able to tell.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein