Urgent question.

What's Hot
have to record someone speaking today..

4 x 40min sessions.

can I use logic? Will it record a session of 40mins + in one go or is there a limit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337

Some info from Apple forum:

There are restrictions on the length of audio files. The best format to use for (very) long recordings is .caf

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=14%26se ction=9%26tasks=true

There is a maximum recording size according to file type, as follows:

• AIFF: The AIFF file format cannot handle audio file recordings larger than 2 GB:
      • For 16-bit, 44.1 kHz stereo files, this equals a recording time of about 3 hours and 15 minutes.
      • For 24-bit, 96 kHz, 5.1 surround files, this equals a recording time of about 20 minutes.
    • WAVE (BWF): The WAVE file format cannot handle audio file recordings larger than 4 GB:
      • For 16-bit, 44.1 kHz stereo files, this equals a recording time of about 6 hours and 30 minutes.
      • For 24-bit, 96 kHz, 5.1 surround files, this equals a recording time of about 40 minutes.
    • CAF: If the size of your recording exceeds the above limits, choose the CAF (Apple Core Audio Format) file format, which can handle the following recording times:
      • About 13 hours and 30 minutes at 44.1 kHz
      • About 6 hours at 96 kHz
      • About 3 hours at 192 kHz
      The bit depth and channel format—mono, stereo, or surround—do not affect the maximum recording size of CAF files.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited September 2018
    axisus said:

Some info from Apple forum:

There are restrictions on the length of audio files. The best format to use for (very) long recordings is .caf

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=14%26se ction=9%26tasks=true

There is a maximum recording size according to file type, as follows:

• AIFF: The AIFF file format cannot handle audio file recordings larger than 2 GB:
      • For 16-bit, 44.1 kHz stereo files, this equals a recording time of about 3 hours and 15 minutes.
      • For 24-bit, 96 kHz, 5.1 surround files, this equals a recording time of about 20 minutes.
    • WAVE (BWF): The WAVE file format cannot handle audio file recordings larger than 4 GB:
      • For 16-bit, 44.1 kHz stereo files, this equals a recording time of about 6 hours and 30 minutes.
      • For 24-bit, 96 kHz, 5.1 surround files, this equals a recording time of about 40 minutes.
    • CAF: If the size of your recording exceeds the above limits, choose the CAF (Apple Core Audio Format) file format, which can handle the following recording times:
      • About 13 hours and 30 minutes at 44.1 kHz
      • About 6 hours at 96 kHz
      • About 3 hours at 192 kHz
      The bit depth and channel format—mono, stereo, or surround—do not affect the maximum recording size of CAF files.
    Yep, seen all that. But that relates to the bounced/exported file. 

I’m wondering if I can record a session if 40mins in one take. I’m assuming tho’ if you can export 3+ hours of audio you must be able to record it in the first place...
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    I'm 99% Sure I've used logic to record our bands gigs before and that was either a 40 or 60 min set, think you'll be fine!
  • Use 44.1/16bit WAV and you'll be fine for 6 hours of audio (as long as you have the disk space). 4 x 40mins will be a breeze. I recently recorded a classical recital of 3 hours (including the breaks) just by starting to record on stereo track and leaving it alone. Afterwards, I went into the WAV files and chunked it up and did a bit of mixing.
    Thanks chaps!
    Just an update... The job was to record a very nice lady speaking.. 4 x 40 minute sessions of...

wait for it.....

Guided Meditation!!!!!!

Fell asleep twice ffs!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    If it's Diane Abbott you're interviewing, Logic will be absolutely useless...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom