Strat: Do I need a no-load pot

On the tone pot for the bridge?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I used to have one that I fitted one to (a Fender TBX) but I always set it in the notched position where it loaded the pick-up - do it’s a ‘no’ from me....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    edited September 2018
    Zoolooter said:
    No, not unless you like the normal unloaded bridge pickup tone - which most people find too shrill.

It also means that in the normal tone control set-up, the middle pickup also then has a no-load, which sounds less good in the middle three positions unless you always turn it down to 9 when using those.

I used to have one that I fitted one to (a Fender TBX) but I always set it in the notched position where it loaded the pick-up - do it’s a ‘no’ from me....
    A no-load and a TBX aren’t the same thing though - the TBX loads the pickup much more heavily in the notch position (with a resistor as well as a cap) and very slightly more even at full-up, it never quite goes to no-load.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Zoolooter said:
    No, not unless you like the normal unloaded bridge pickup tone - which most people find too shrill.

It also means that in the normal tone control set-up, the middle pickup also then has a no-load, which sounds less good in the middle three positions unless you always turn it down to 9 when using those.

I used to have one that I fitted one to (a Fender TBX) but I always set it in the notched position where it loaded the pick-up - do it’s a ‘no’ from me....
    A no-load and a TBX aren’t the same thing though - the TBX loads the pickup much more heavily in the notch position (with a resistor as well as a cap) and very slightly more even at full-up, it never quite goes to no-load.
    That makes sense. I'm putting together my first strat, hardly played them so not use to all the various wiring options. I was reading that putting the tone on the bridge takes away a little bite if it's not a no load. So thought I'd ask. Seeing as I will have to buy a new harness, I was going to go with tone on the bridge and neck only. I was more thinking when playing the bridge and middle combined you might want the tone full up and not clipped in any way, so then the no load would come into play.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Zoolooter said:
    ICBM said:
    Zoolooter said:

That makes sense. I'm putting together my first strat, hardly played them so not use to all the various wiring options. I was reading that putting the tone on the bridge takes away a little bite if it's not a no load. So thought I'd ask. Seeing as I will have to buy a new harness, I was going to go with tone on the bridge and neck only. I was more thinking when playing the bridge and middle combined you might want the tone full up and not clipped in any way, so then the no load would come into play.
    I honestly don't know why Fender put them on Strat bridges, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they want the Strat bridge to be any brighter, usually the opposite.

If you do decide to go for a no-load, watch out because the Fender branded one clicks in to position at 10 so it makes it a bit awkward turning it down smoothly. Go for a CTS one that is just smooth like a normal pot but with no-load at 10.

I'd recommend just using a normal tone pot though. If you then find out the bridge pickup isn't bright enough you could always swap it for a no-load but I don't think it's very likely you will.
    I really don’t like having the tones on the bridge and neck only - it makes the middle pickup alone too strident (I know a lot of people don’t use it, but in my opinion that’s missing one of the best sounds on the guitar) and makes the neck+middle too similar to the bridge+middle, instead of softer.

I know a Mr. Eric Johnson likes it though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    I really don’t like having the tones on the bridge and neck only - it makes the middle pickup alone too strident (I know a lot of people don’t use it, but in my opinion that’s missing one of the best sounds on the guitar) and makes the neck+middle too similar to the bridge+middle, instead of softer.

I know a Mr. Eric Johnson likes it though...
    Do you prefer to have one of the combo positions to have 2 tone controls at once?

I use a superswitch on mine to avoid that but to be honest it was more of a theoretical decision, I didn't even think it might be a plus to have both on in one of the positions.
  • @ICBM do you prefer standard wiring or a blend with master vol and tone, or something else?
    thegummy said:

Do you prefer to have one of the combo positions to have 2 tone controls at once?
    Yes, that’s what gives the best sound in the neck+middle position. You can get it with only one tone control just by turning it down a bit, but it’s easier to have it automatic.

Zoolooter said:
    @ICBM do you prefer standard wiring or a blend with master vol and tone, or something else?
    There are only two schemes I really like - the classic Strat with two tones and nothing on the bridge pickup, and master volume/single tone. The classic 2-tone is best for presetting tones using the switch, and the master tone is best if you use the knobs interactively - it also allows you to move the volume control down away from the strings so you don’t constantly knock it.

I don’t like any of the fancy schemes Fender have used with different tone pots or wiring schemes, they just make things more complicated and none of them sound as good as simple tone controls.

• The wiring Suhr does on the Scott Henderson strat is very cool.
    Using a mega 5 way switch, 1 tone for neck and middle, 1 tone for bridge ,  but no tones engaged for position 2+4. 
    The wiring Suhr does on the Scott Henderson strat is very cool.
    Using a mega 5 way switch, 1 tone for neck and middle, 1 tone for bridge ,  but no tones engaged for position 2+4. 
    I can’t imagine anything worse - the last thing those positions need is to be even brighter and thinner-sounding.

Just shows that tone is in the ear of the beholder, or something...

• Thanks all for the input. Seeing as I'm new to strats and, considering all the above info,  I'll start with the standard wiring and go from there.