Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's more versatile: Telecaster or Jazzmaster?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    Jazzmaster. Because it has a trem.
    Telecaster ... because it doesn't have a vibrato.

If you do multi-string bending stunts, the last thing you want is a bridge that squirms about and allows the strings that you are not bending to go flat.

The correct answer to the OP question is that you should have one (or several) of each design.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Funkfingers said:

Telecaster ... because it doesn't have a vibrato.

If you do multi-string bending stunts, the last thing you want is a bridge that squirms about and allows the strings that you are not bending to go flat.
    You either pull the arm back slightly to stop it - if you put the lock on it, you can pull it hard against that so it doesn't go sharp instead - or bend both strings at the same time like Jerry Donahue.

You can’t play something like Wicked Game properly on a Tele, but there’s no song you can play on a Tele that you can’t play on a Jazzmaster - so the Jazzmaster wins.

All electric guitars are much more versatile than most guitarists seem to think (or want to admit...) but there are some things you can’t physically do on a hardtail.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JMs don't do the "unbent strings go flat" anything like as much as Strats do though. It bothers me a lot on a strat, to the point of never having a floating trem, but on a JM it's nowhere near as severe (i think?!) 

I'm firmly in the school of thought that there are no "more versatile" guitars, only players. You can play almost anything on almost anything and the player makes the biggest difference (major signature trem applications on a hardtail aside, of course).

I'd happily take a Tele or a JM to almost any gig.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    The answers seem to be leaning more towards which is better rather than which is more versatile. 
    By definition, a guitar with a vibrato must be more versatile than one without.....mustn't it?
    I sold my Strat and Tele and my only Fender now is a Jazzmaster. Love it.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoans said:
    Tele all the way, Les Zep through to smooth Jazz no problem. I’d say the JM has more character though imho , as others have mentioned the neck pu especially sounds like a warmer plinkier Strat to me - gorgeous.
    You still lovin’ my ex?

That was your ex. Ewww...
    She's happier now, feels safer and we dont talk about you at all.
    Don't try to contact her on here - especially with any part exchange shenanigans as those days are over.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I own both but prefer the Telecaster. Okay it doesn’t have a tremolo but it’s extremely versatile and been used on countless recordings. There’s always the option of a Bigsby if you must have a tremolo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Any guitar is only as versatile as the hands that hold it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Yes but which looks sexier? That's what is most important surely.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Any guitar is only as versatile as the hands that hold it. 

How true.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3852
    What about if the Jazzmaster didn't have a trem? So I guess we're getting down to which pickups are more versatile: Tele or Jazzmaster?
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Lebarque said:
    What about if the Jazzmaster didn't have a trem? So I guess we're getting down to which pickups are more versatile: Tele or Jazzmaster?
    You can swap out pickups....

Jazzmaster is one of the most ergonomically comfortable guitars I've played. If that's even a consideration.

I own both and enjoy using both for different things. Jazzmaster makes we want to play clean wobbly stuff, but I also enjoy ripping on it too.

But the real answer is.....Les Paul

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Lebarque said:
    Tele, just - but it's very close. The Jazzmaster also has the extra 'rhythm' circuit which contrary to what seems to be popular belief, is actually quite useful and makes it more versatile.

Or you could always do this...

photo DSC03913jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    Exactly.
    Can we get an "Amen"?
    Jota said:
    Exactly.
    Can we get an "Amen"?
    No...

Give Steve Vai a Les Paul Jr and he'd still be brilliant, but unable to do some the things he can do on his Jem.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Telemaster :p
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Who cares Jazzmaster's are just ugly 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nikc said:
    Who cares Jazzmaster's are just ugly 
    Sacrilege :angry: :angry: :angry: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Tele every time for me. Not even close in my opinion. You can always add a Bigsby if you really need one. Just look at the range of players in different styles who used Teles vs Jazzmasters.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    ICBM said:

photo DSC03913jpg

That should be screaming "too much hardware!" but it actually looks very cool.

Would be even better with a matching headstock.  ;)

• Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:

photo DSC03913jpg

That should be screaming "too much hardware!" but it actually looks very cool.

Would be even better with a matching headstock.  ;)

Ya, give me that with a 'tron in the neck and I'd be quite a happy chappie, I think. Good colour too :)

(As if I need another Tele...)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires