Totally flat neck?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
Would there be a reason why someone would set up a guitar to have a totally flat neck? Mine has, I didn't set it up, action is low, buzz is minimal , would there be any gain in or need to put some relief in the neck? 
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
    Just to add, fret on third, strings touching 1st, nut doesnt look too worn and no open string buzz, is this Ok?
  • If it plays fine then it’s fine.

I prefer to have a neck as straight as it will go, but all guitars are different and some need more relief than others. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I set up all my guitars with very little relief but I think it depends on the player as well as the specific guitar.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    For me personally I will set the guitar up with barely any relief - But I play with a very light touch - Such a set-up won't generally work for a player with a 'heavier' picking hand - So it can work, but won't work for all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    The only real problem with dead straight is that it’s harder to tell there isn’t a back-bow, but if it isn’t buzzing then it’s unlikely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    The only real problem with dead straight is that it’s harder to tell there isn’t a back-bow, but if it isn’t buzzing then it’s unlikely.
    valid point - I suppose if you adjust from a slight blow to flat/nearly flat then you know your own reference point to start from

I'm not sure totally flat is usable/sensible, unless you are a shred/speed player with loads of gain and play with a light touch

I have minimal relief for my own guitars but still just a hint of relief can be seen when checked - Shop stock and I'll set up with a hint of extra relief but will always adjust as required by the customer
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Yes, even though I play Rickenbackers which are famous for being meant to be dead straight, I actually find the smallest amount of visible relief is better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    One negative with minimal relief and a lowish action is zero tolerance and a regarding any uneven frets, so be aware of this
    This plays fine, really low action, feels slinky , strings are 10's, Im quite surprised because my Tele has a fair bit of relief and still buzzes, even with a medium-high action. 
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    robgilmo said:
    This plays fine, really low action, feels slinky , strings are 10's, Im quite surprised because my Tele has a fair bit of relief and still buzzes, even with a medium-high action. 
    Don't know what guitar it is - Plus quality of set-up inc fret dress/level frets etc as this can have an impact on both this guitar and your Tele - If it works then all well and good - Your Tele might get there with a fret dress

Also remember with less relief, there is zero tolerance for any 'movement' that the summer to winter might bring, so be prepared to check and edit accordingly - Likewise winter back to spring - Does not always happen - depends on the guitar, temperature of surroundings etc
    Its an old 1995 Epiphone Les Paul, lovely old thing, hardware is cheese though. Tele is a Baja.  I wonder if the flat neck is causing me to lift the bridge higher? A bit of relief would mean I could drop the bridge wouldn't it?
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140374/bridge-options-for-a-korean-epi-les-paul#latest

tFB Trader
    robgilmo said:
    Its an old 1995 Epiphone Les Paul, lovely old thing, hardware is cheese though. Tele is a Baja.  I wonder if the flat neck is causing me to lift the bridge higher? A bit of relief would mean I could drop the bridge wouldn't it?
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/140374/bridge-options-for-a-korean-epi-les-paul#latest

Just seen those pics now ref your bridge on another FB posting  - It is a question of balance - Not one specific item to a set-up - many times a tweak here and there to get it were you need it to be

Depends what action you need - I don't have it shred metal low but I still require an easy 'girlie' action that responds to a light touch - SRV would have hated such a set-up but it gives me  a well balanced set-up across the whole fingerboard