EVH5150III... should I sell it and upgrade my FX or get a new guitar?

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
edited April 2014 in FX
Should I sell my 5150III? I have my Diezel, and I really prefer it. Thinking about shifting my 5150III. It's just sat here doing naff all.

I really would like to get some sort of effects and switching setup for my Diezel, but they all look pretty shit. Either too limiting, or too complex and difficult to use. Nothing out there is *just right*, regardless of price and feature set. It SUCKS.

I like the idea of one-button switches to change my effects and my amp, but I don't want loads and loads of patches... so instant access is something I would like too. but I don't want to have to use a lot of real estate on the floor in front of me. I also don't want to have to switch modes all the time.

Closest I've got believe it or not was the Boss GT-100. But that has its own issues. So since then I basically thought screw it... there is nothing out there. Still seems to be the case... at which point, I sell my EVH... and end up blorting the cash on another guitar.

Blerggghh.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Does the D-Moll have Midi?  If it were me I'd get a rack FX for the loop and a Midi switcher to control everything. I've tried using various multi-fx but they colour the sound quite a lot.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yes it does indeed have midi. Rack units are basically the only direction I *could* go in right now. But I like effects in front *and* in the FX loop of the amp - delays and reverbs included. So I am asking for quite a bit in terms of raw DSP.
  • TC G-System has that market covered in the truly pro category, but it can be a massive pain to set up.  It's good when it's sorted though, I used one for ages with a Mesa Roadster.  Also has the bonus of being able to switch in analogue pedals.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33804
    Axe fx.
    octatonic said:
    Axe fx.
    You bitch.

I asked you if I should get an Axe FX standard just for FX and you told me not to bother.
    >:)
  • Seems a bit of a pointless exercise to me if you know there is no FX unit that will fit the bill.

Is there no other equipment you want/need?  The EVH amps seem to still be in stable demand so you could probably hang on to it for a bit longer and not really see any further depreciation in value while you work out what you actually want to spend the cash on.
    Well I would like a lighter weight guitar. My Les Paul is 12lbs and sometimes I just can't be fucked with it. I also want one of these...

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eb_page14.php?data_id=55&color=CL01&year=2014&cat_id=2&series_id=51
  • I'd sell it if you don't use it - the D-Moll sounds awesome, and it sounds like you've no real need for the 5150, so pass that on and get that champion bass :)

Yaayyy!! Permission! :)

But yeah, I think that might be a plan.
  • Yeah I can totally empathise with that, my Les Paul is a similar weight.

That looks like a cool bass but for me I'd prioritise guitar playing comfort first cool bass second.  Any ideas what you'd go for?

No ideas whatsoever. Limited by left handers and my dislike of floyd roses.
  • SG?  Or, if you like Fenders you should be able to find a decent Tele to stick some humbuckers in.  Otherwise left handed choices are pretty dire in comparison.
    All the tele's I've ever looked at (even righty's) have been almost as heavy as my Les Paul!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2932
    I've recently sold a load of gear I wasn't using, and it was tough but I feel much better now. Like I've had a really big shit.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hmmm. Apparently the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro is 6.5-7lbs. Meaning it's about 3kg... nigh on half the weight of my Orville Les Paul.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited April 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    All the tele's I've ever looked at (even righty's) have been almost as heavy as my Les Paul!

Woah!

My Tele is pretty light.  My Baja was heavy but most other Teles I've played have been light or at least noticeably lighter than Les Paul.

Drew_fx said:
    Hmmm. Apparently the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro is 6.5-7lbs. Meaning it's about 3kg... nigh on half the weight of my Orville Les Paul.

If you're mail ordering make sure you get the shop to weigh it first.  That sounds crazy light for a Les Paul, is it chambered?  Or is it just the wood they're using?  I've sometimes found Far Eastern guitars made from mahogany to be very light and it must be the wood.  Both our singer and our other guitarist own PRS SEs (an early Santana SE and an Akesson) and both of them are super light despite being mahogany and mahogany/maple respectively.  The Akesson weighs about the same as my CU22 going from feel but is the size of a Les Paul.

I realise PRS don't really cater for the left hand market but I think LTD do and they use the same factory IIRC.  Might be worth looking at what they have available.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2014
    Drew_fx said:
    My Les Paul is 12lbs and sometimes I just can't be fucked with it.

Oh FFS man the fuck up. 

Seriously though weight has become an issue for me recently as we had a car accident that wrenched one shoulder.  Despite being my 'grab in case of fire guitar' I just cannot face the weight of my LPC for prolonged periods at the moment.  I have a Zebrawood LP that for lack of finish and fancy metal bits is just over 3lbs lighter, but for the last month I haven't used anything but a twin humbucker Tele and a standard Tele for recording.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Drew_fx said:
    octatonic said:
    Axe fx.
    You bitch.

I asked you if I should get an Axe FX standard just for FX and you told me not to bother.
    >:)
    Yeah I wouldn't bother actually.
    Get the 2 or nothing.

Actually- why don't you try just a guitar and an amp for a while.
    If you need a delay then just play everything twice, with the second note a bit softer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    No ideas whatsoever. Limited by left handers and my dislike of floyd roses.
    http://leftyfretz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Suhr-m5-m6-m7-m8-left-handed-guitar.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Drew...if youre buying a guitar, check out Pure Salem guitars, all models available in lefty as well.