Do I need a buffer?

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I have had a buffer on my board for a few years but wonder if I actually need it- is it just taking up space I could otherwise fill?

This is my board:

Chain is buffer (top right) - tuner- super octave - Onomatopoeia-phaser-tremolo-chorus-delay-reverb

For that many pedals is a buffer overkill? Is the octave pedal close enough to the front of the chain so that its buffer will be effective?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    The Chorus pedal isn't straight, neither row of pedals are flush, and there's a gap in the top left where the EH Nano Looper 360 should sit.

And you're worried about the buffer? Sigh.  ;)
  • The Super Octave is buffered so I wouldn't bother.  If all the pedals were true bypass you'd definitely need a buffer.  I like to have a buffer or buffered pedal at the start and also end of the chain if possible.

Just try with and without.  If it sounds dull without the buffer you know you need it.  If it sounds the same, you don't.  Or you could upgrade to the Polytune 3, which has a buffer built in.  Just like Boss always has...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:
    The Chorus pedal isn't straight, neither row of pedals are flush, and there's a gap in the top left where the EH Nano Looper 360 should sit.

And you're worried about the buffer? Sigh.  ;)
    Ha! You make a good point! The photo was a work in progress shot so I can be excused!!
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    edited September 2018
    The Super Octave is buffered so I wouldn't bother.  If all the pedals were true bypass you'd definitely need a buffer.  I like to have a buffer or buffered pedal at the start and also end of the chain if possible.

Just try with and without.  If it sounds dull without the buffer you know you need it.  If it sounds the same, you don't.  Or you could upgrade to the Polytune 3, which has a buffer built in.  Just like Boss always has...
    Good call on the Polytune 3
  • The Super Octave is buffered so I wouldn't bother.  If all the pedals were true bypass you'd definitely need a buffer.  I like to have a buffer or buffered pedal at the start and also end of the chain if possible.

Does it not matter that the super octave isn't first in line?

It's the first effect in the signal though. The tuner won't care about a buffer.
  • MattBanshee said: 
    The Super Octave is buffered so I wouldn't bother.  If all the pedals were true bypass you'd definitely need a buffer.  I like to have a buffer or buffered pedal at the start and also end of the chain if possible.

It's the first effect in the signal though. The tuner won't care about a buffer.
    Thanks. Need to work out what I'd replace it with then!