Overdrive suggestions for marshall plexi

What's Hot
llewllew Frets: 78
I've got a marshall 1987x and I'm looking for suggestions for an overdrive pedal to give me that fat Garry Moore sound. Is it still the usual suspects boss sd1 and tubescreamer? Thanks in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Or a Marshall Guv’nor which I believe Gary Moore actually used into a Marshall?

The Guv’nor MkII is a really good pedal for much cheapness! I’ve got two, one standard and one one modded
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6134
    tFB Trader
    The peacekeeper stacks very nicely into plexi amplifiers 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    Cheers
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I really like the OCD, to me the v1.7 is the fattest sounding one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    How do you run your 1987X?

Gary ran his Marshalls at a slight breakup, then used a Boss DS-1 ('80s), Guv'nor (early '90s), Tubescreamer (later) for a lead boost.

If you run your amp clean, you could look into a transparant overdrive and run a Tubescreamer in front of it.
    I have got a Tim pedal and where it sounds brilliant with my Dr z it isn't really doing it with the Marshall. 
    What about a fulltone fulldrive? They're based on a tubescreamer aren't they?
  • Bogner La Grange
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Or a Marshall Guv’nor which I believe Gary Moore actually used into a Marshall?

The Guv’nor MkII is a really good pedal for much cheapness! I’ve got two, one standard and one one modded
    I've got a Guvnor 2 and it sounds great, but is pretty much unusable as its very noisy in the chain  when switched off. Kind of difficult to describe the sound but its very obvious and i've tried a few different power supplies and 9v batteries and nothing makes it go away. Is yours the same? 
    Shame really as its a great sounding pedal. 
    Is the original guvnor noisy as well then?
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    To be honest i think mine may be faulty, i had another one years ago that was fine. 
  • I like the BB Preamp, it’s very versatile and the gain mixes with that of a Marshall very naturally. It also has a very good eq section that can give you a TS type mid bump if you want for leads
    I've gone and bought another tubescreamer 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    A Tube Screamer *and* a DS-1 will give you a great range of sounds. Stack the TS into the DS for completely over-the-top hair metal madness too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Hit it with an EP Booster to push it and fatten it up but if you really want to add more dirt, I've just nabbed the new-ish Fulltone Fulldrive 1 (the best bits of the Fulldrive 2 without the boost) and so it's smaller in size. I've found that it sits somewhere between a Tubescreamer, but with nicer mids, or a choice of them (3) depending on the setting and an OCD when on low-med gain. It's really nice and I'd give that a whirl.
    I've got a fulltone fatboost that pushes it nicely but just wanted something to add some more dirt. I've got a ds1 lying around here somewhere too