Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Boss Waza Craft Pedal =- Metal and Chorus inspired.....

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Another opportunity for me to kick myself for not picking up a used DC2 for £30 in a shop in Newcastle in the mid/late 90s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    They both sound ace on a fretless bass. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Keefy said:
    Another opportunity for me to kick myself for not picking up a used DC2 for £30 in a shop in Newcastle in the mid/late 90s.
    Similar story here too, saw one in a shop in Edinburgh for £40 circa 2004. Doh.
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    My DC-2 has been on my board since I bought it new in the 80's it's the only pedal that has remained on my board, but  I'm still tempted to get the Waza!

https://i.imgur.com/EfeYwfR.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Am I the only Boss fan who doesn't really get the DC-2? It's nice and all that, but just a bit... meh. It sounds like studio chorus more than a guitar pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Am I the only Boss fan who doesn't really get the DC-2? It's nice and all that, but just a bit... meh. It sounds like studio chorus more than a guitar pedal.
    As someone that doesn't particularly rate the sound of Boss pedals I think you are one of the only people that doesn't get the DC-2. Its one of the few chorus(ish) pedals that dont sound like cheesy 80s wank
    The DC-2 is awesome
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
    HoraceB said:
    My DC-2 has been on my board since I bought it new in the 80's it's the only pedal that has remained on my board, but  I'm still tempted to get the Waza!

https://i.imgur.com/EfeYwfR.jpg

It’s not on your board.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    ICBM said:
    Am I the only Boss fan who doesn't really get the DC-2? 
    Quite possibly.

It's the only chorus I like. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    meltedbuzzbox said:

As someone that doesn't particularly rate the sound of Boss pedals I think you are one of the only people that doesn't get the DC-2. Its one of the few chorus(ish) pedals that dont sound like cheesy 80s wank
    Isn't that cheesy 80s chorus sound the whole point? ;) It's why I like the CE-3 :). I actually prefer it to the CE-2... but stupidly I sold my last one when I picked up an early MIJ CE-2, thinking it was the 'classic'. I just couldn't get the 2 to sound 'right' to me like the 3 did. Luckily the 3 is not expensive so I'll get another one at some point.

It is true that I grew up in the 80s... but I've never understood the hatred for that sound. I admit it got horribly over-used, but it's still a good effect if used more sparingly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    I did find, some years ago, that every sound on the DC-2 could be replicated exactly with a DC3 - I owned the former, borrowed the latter for a few weeks to be certain. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    I did find, some years ago, that every sound on the DC-2 could be replicated exactly with a DC3 - I owned the former, borrowed the latter for a few weeks to be certain. 
    The shock for me was discovering that almost every sound in my collection of vintage Boss pedals could be replicated exactly with my ME-50, only without the noise. So I sold most of them...

ICBM said:
    meltedbuzzbox said:

Isn't that cheesy 80s chorus sound the whole point? ;) It's why I like the CE-3 :). I actually prefer it to the CE-2... but stupidly I sold my last one when I picked up an early MIJ CE-2, thinking it was the 'classic'. I just couldn't get the 2 to sound 'right' to me like the 3 did. Luckily the 3 is not expensive so I'll get another one at some point.

It is true that I grew up in the 80s... but I've never understood the hatred for that sound. I admit it got horribly over-used, but it's still a good effect if used more sparingly.
    Have you tried the trim pot in the CE2? Acts like an intensity control if I remember correctly
  • Good god, 3 and half minutes in before he shut up and actually let us hear the pedal. Does that really annoy anyone else? I want the demo to last 3 and half minutes max!
    An Andertons shill video featuring nothing but posturing and hot air? I am shocked.
    Doesn't though, does it? 

Its a 3 minute intro and then about 20 minutes of playing, including running through what it sounds like in stereo. Its not even an Andertons video, ffs :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
    The trimpot in the CE-2 is to adjust the voltage divider that sets the virtual ground of 4.5V (i.e. halfway between 0 and 9 volts - or whatever the battery voltage is). Usually this is done with two fixed value resistors, for op-amp based circuits. The BBD in a chorus pedal needs it as well, and is more sensitive to it (or there is more variation between individual BBD chips compared to say 4558 opamps), so the trimpot allows some adjustment. If it's way off, you won't get a chorus sound, and there's usually a small part of the travel where it sounds good. I tried adjusting mine with a multimeter to give exactly half the battery voltage but it didn't sound good - it's better to adjust it by ear. Or not touch it at all!
    roberty said:

Have you tried the trim pot in the CE2? Acts like an intensity control if I remember correctly
    As thermionic says it's not an 'intensity' control, unless you set it so it doesn't work properly!

It's that the CE-2 is a bit too 'syrupy'. The CE-3 rolls off the bass very slightly so it sounds a bit more 'airy'. Turns out I prefer that...

Got it. I had one about 15 years ago that I set by ear as it sounded a bit naff when it arrived
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Good god, 3 and half minutes in before he shut up and actually let us hear the pedal. Does that really annoy anyone else? I want the demo to last 3 and half minutes max!
    An Andertons shill video featuring nothing but posturing and hot air? I am shocked.
    Doesn't though, does it? 

Its a 3 minute intro and then about 20 minutes of playing, including running through what it sounds like in stereo. Its not even an Andertons video, ffs :lol: 
    Sssshhh

Knee jerk reaction to propogate a popular stereotype based on minimal content interaction is exactly how the Internet is supposed to work!

Keep considered, fact based information out of it please!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom