Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Watch or Guitar ?

What's Hot
So Im thinking vaguely vintage guitar ...or...Planet Ocean Omega...I like the idea of either ...both probably have some good resale value if and when...what you reckon?

Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    WATCH . 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6161
    tFB Trader
    spark240 said:
    So Im thinking vaguely vintage guitar ...or...Planet Ocean Omega...I like the idea of either ...both probably have some good resale value if and when...what you reckon?
    I had this same thought.... with the same watch.  I bought the guitar. Only certain watches will appreciate and they seem to be few and far between, a planet ocean will only appreciate slowly over about ten years... I know because I bought a Seamaster for 1400 in 2002 and sold it in 2014 for £2300.

I think’ the right guitar appreciates faster and you have a wicked guitar to play too! 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27055
    *Why* do you want a watch? THey're lovely, but buying one because you think it'll be worth more one day isn't a great reason.  Rolexes generally out-do inflation but most watches will not appreciate any faster than a few percent, and I can't see anything from the modern Omega catalogue doing better than that. Buy a watch because you love it, and by all means rationalise it with the knowledge that a 3k watch will always be relatively easy to sell if you ever need cash, but don't go out expecting to make a profit. 

I like watches for their own sake. I bought a Speedster this summer and adore it. I don't plan on selling it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Do you want a watch as an investment or a functional thing?  I thought of buying a Rolex about 6 years ago but changed my mind while browsing.  A man wanted work done on a Rolex that lost about 10 seconds a month and the jeweller said that's normal.  I dunno watch, you had one job! :)

Instead I bought a Casio Edifice with the exact functions and spec I was after.  And worn it every at for 6 years. 

Same with a Heistercamp belt.  I bought one of their straps but don't use that anywhere near the belt, which I wear almost every day.
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    For me it would probably be the watch - are you looking to buy new or used? I purchased a Breitling Superocean Chrono used in 2012 - mint condition with original receipts etc and it has at least retained its value (although it is now slightly reliced (think Fender Journeyman levels :-))!!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2899
    edited October 2018
    Guitar, you can have fun with it whilst a watch is about the dullest purchase I can imagine,  short of buying a new vaccum cleaner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Are you a member of a watch forum..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited October 2018
    I've made my choice. I'm thining out some of my watches to pay some overheads, and hopefully with the left over and the sale of my current amp, a new amp.
    Also, yes, it depends on the watch but how you buy it makes a difference. For watches that don't basically appreciate from new (Rolex sports models in stainless under present market conditions) the initial buyer will take most of the hit, with the watch holding value thereafter.

If it somehow crosses into collectible territory, then you'll see it appreciate.
  • A guitar. Every minute of the day ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Some indecision here on the board !....Im not particularly looking at either to make money at all, simply gauging the opinion of which might at least hold value, @ThorpyFX ..I agree , I bought my Omega Seamaster for about £750 some years ago and now probably well over £1K ..

I like Omega's and I like guitars...however the guitar would be a more difficult purchase as Im not 100% sure what Id go for, whereas the watch is pretty much decided...I suppose a solution is to get one....save up then get the other !

I have a decent mix of guitars , but none that you might call vintage, I guess most of them are retaining some good value, I assume one day I might sell some off.. Memo to @HarrySeven !

@usedtobe - no Im not on a watch forum..are you?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    You can wear a guitar but you can’t play a watch.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018
    I always laugh when people say they use their phone.

We've effectively regressed to pocket watches.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    spark240 said:
    Some indecision here on the board !....Im not particularly looking at either to make money at all, simply gauging the opinion of which might at least hold value, @ThorpyFX ..I agree , I bought my Omega Seamaster for about £750 some years ago and now probably well over £1K ..

I like Omega's and I like guitars...however the guitar would be a more difficult purchase as Im not 100% sure what Id go for, whereas the watch is pretty much decided...I suppose a solution is to get one....save up then get the other !

I have a decent mix of guitars , but none that you might call vintage, I guess most of them are retaining some good value, I assume one day I might sell some off.. Memo to @HarrySeven !

@usedtobe - no Im not on a watch forum..are you?

No, I’m not. It was tongue in cheek, tbh..  ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11784
    Guitar, a cheap one.

Spend the rest on hookers and blow.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I don't exist within the dimensions of time. So I'd have to choose a guitar. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    spark240 said:

Duly noted! ;)

And FWIW...if a watch costs me more than £1, it's overpriced.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018

@Harryseven My other half would say the same about watches or guitars, oh, and "why do you need X amount of.." happens a lot too.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    Guitar. I’d be terrified of losing a valuable watch or getting it stolen.