Alaska Piks

Anyone tried these, if so what did you think?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    edited October 2018
    I couldn’t get them to work for me...it seemed that for them to be comfortable you’d have to grow out so much nail to hook over them that you’d probably just use that nail anyway. 

Personally I think a lot of people give up on standard picks way too quickly ... it takes around 2 to 4 weeks of focused practice and then it’s easy but people seem to bin them after a day...
  • Yep, it took me about 4 weeks to get used a standard thumb pick, but that was probably because I used to use classical style right hand technique. For me the normal fingerpicks seem to be in the wrong place though.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I have an entirely irrational aversion to finger/thumb picks. No matter how skilled the player or how good the music, I just find it a bit nerdy and borderline cheating to use them. Entirely my problem and reflects badly on me, I’m aware. 
  • jellyroll said:
    I have an entirely irrational aversion to finger/thumb picks. No matter how skilled the player or how good the music, I just find it a bit nerdy and borderline cheating to use them. Entirely my problem and reflects badly on me, I’m aware. 
    My problem is that as soon as my fingernails get to the optimum guitar playing length they invariably break, hence the need for alternatives. If I had super strong Segovia type nails I probably wouldn't even look at any other options.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    as some may know - I'm an out and out fingerpicker (don't do fingerstyle :o).
    I've always had 'weak' nails - they can split / chip with any hard contact i.e a door handle.
    A while back, when I was 'gigging' I got paranoid re my nails.
    So I tried many things - including Alaska Piks - did't work out - couldn't get on with them.
  • AliGorie said:
    as some may know - I'm an out and out fingerpicker (don't do fingerstyle :o).
    I've always had 'weak' nails - they can split / chip with any hard contact i.e a door handle.
    A while back, when I was 'gigging' I got paranoid re my nails.
    So I tried many things - including Alaska Piks - did't work out - couldn't get on with them.
    What didn't you like about them?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    jellyroll said:
    I guess it depends on who you see using them when you're forming your opinion...I got into using them from trying to emulate Bukka White, Fred McDowell and Doc Watson....certainly not nerds or cheats :) So it would never occur to me to see them that way.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited October 2018

What didn't you like about them?
    for myself they were to cumbersome for the way I pick AND it's very much a one dimensional sound.
    I play with my fingertips with just enough nail to firm up the finger end - this way I can change the angles of the fingers, at will  to give a flesh sound or a (little) nail sound. Also I thought they might have helped with a picking style / technique I was working on to execute - for the want of a better description 'grace notes' - but the bare fingers proved quite adequate, in fact more accurate.
    In saying that I have been developing and playing 'my way' for a loooooong time - so theres nothing to say someone less settled in their ways wouldn't / couldn't get used to them. 
    heres an early rough 'n ready example of what I was aiming for -

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    I've not tried Alaska Piks but they look pretty cumbersome. For dobro I use regular ProPiks but don't like to use them for acoustic guitar. I have tried ProPik Finger-Tone picks for acoustic guitar which are OK for players who suffer weak nails but I still found them less natural than using nails. For strengthening weak nails the old Nashville trick of a coating of superglue does work but just don't let your fingers touch while the glue is drying ;)