Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PSA: Jools back tonight - sadly Paul Weller returns !

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
edited October 2018 in Music
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Watched Episode 1 - Marc Almond's voice unfortunately appeared to be a bit shot, and the IDLES were appalling IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • "Other artists set to perform during the series include Muse, Jungle, Laurel, Interpol, Sigrid, Joe Bonamassa, Neneh Cherry and Paul Weller. "

Quelle surprise!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    Is Dr. John still alive?
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    "Other artists set to perform during the series include Muse, Jungle, Laurel, Interpol, Sigrid, Joe Bonamassa, Neneh Cherry and Paul Weller. "

Quelle surprise!
    Sounds like the same line up as "TOTP - 1986" on BBC4.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    No Seasick Steve? Is he sick of being on the show or something?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I like Later With Jools Holland, I just wish it was on earlier

...............and with a different presenter.

13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    proggy said:

I like Later With Jools Holland, I just wish it was on earlier

...............and with a different presenter.

And different guests.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited October 2018
    The show takes a lot of stick and frankly deserves much of it, too much of a vanity project for Jools. 

But I think people who imagine that once it's terminated (and I understand there's a serious threat of that) it will be replaced by something better are mistaken.  Other attempts at live music shows over its lifetime have failed to take off, and I suspect only brand loyalty is giving this one viewing figures that make its continuation just about defensible.

My guess is that as far as a live showcase for bands at the more "serious" end of the rock/pop spectrum the real choice is Jools or nothing.  And it's better than nothing.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    I wish the sound was better
    Last week it came across really quite grim.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Blueingreen said:
    The show takes a lot of stick and frankly deserves much of it, too much of a vanity project for Jools. 

But I think people who imagine that once it's terminated (and I understand there's a serious threat of that) it will be replaced by something better are mistaken.  Other attempts at live music shows over its lifetime have failed to take off, and I suspect only brand loyalty is giving this one viewing figures that make its continuation just about defensible.

My guess is that as far as a live showcase for bands at the more "serious" end of the rock/pop spectrum the real choice is Jools or nothing.  And it's better than nothing.
    True, but I agree it feels tired.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Bring back the White Room, I say. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189

The format is fine. Just really really REALLY needs a new presenter. And a producer who doesn't feel that the viewing public necessarily wants to watch the likes of a trombone quintet from Senegal.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    joetele said:
    Pretty much the same format though wasn't it? (is it just Jools that's the problem for a lot of people?)

I loved the one with Shane McGowan and the Popes where he laid into one of the band members during a song, then Radcliffe's link was something along the lines of "kids, that's what you do when you see a banjo player"
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    Gave up on Jools Holland years ago. Lack of HEAVY did it for me. Plus his ALWAYS sitting in on boogie woogie piano all the bloody time!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    joetele said:
    Pretty much the same format though wasn't it? (is it just Jools that's the problem for a lot of people?)

I loved the one with Shane McGowan and the Popes where he laid into one of the band members during a song, then Radcliffe's link was something along the lines of "kids, that's what you do when you see a banjo player"
    While my suggestion wasn't 100% serious, I definitely preferred the range of bands they'd have on the White Room. I've never really had a problem with Jools apart from the somewhat awkward interviews, and I certainly appreciate that he's brought a lot of music you wouldn't normally hear to screens. I suppose for me the happy medium is having both Jools on BBC2 and something like The White Room on Channel 4. But live music shows are a bit of an oddity and we're lucky to have any these days. 

I remember one WR episode where Liam Gallagher turned up drunk so Noel sang the first couple of songs while Liam sat in an alcove looking up at the dancers. When he did get up to sing, it was basically what we now know as the sound of drunk people singing Oasis songs. 

My favourite JH moment is when they had At the Drive-In on. I think Simon from Biffy Clyro later picked up on it in a Kerrang interview - they were on the same show as Robbie Williams. Simon said something like "when they started playing, you could see the fat, talentless f**k-nugget sh*t himself because of his complete irrelevance". 

I'm sure Mr Williams doesn't mind really, though. The huge sales and popularity might help. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I think that even if you don't like it you should put it on iplayer when you are out to keep the viewing figures up.

The things I like:

1. It doesn't editorialise.
    2. It is respectful.
    3. It has a huge variety.
    4.It is live music.
    5. Jools doesn't play half as much piano as people think.

Where else are you going to get that in an hour or so these days?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited October 2018
    Hattigol said:

The format is fine. Just really really REALLY needs a new presenter. And a producer who doesn't feel that the viewing public necessarily wants to watch the likes of a trombone quintet from Senegal.

To be fair, some of the best moments on the show for me have been the left-field acts you'd never see anywhere else. They've had some incredible, jaw-dropping acts on from places I've never heard of, playing music I've never heard before. 

It's just that recently they seem to have got in a bit of a rut and had some very average acts on from all over the world in between quite a few bands who seem to have become institutionalized on Later
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Perhaps people’s ideal show would be the acts that they really like playing live without any presenter and acts they don’t like nowhere to be seen? Oh, hang on... that’s called a Concert DVD. Available in all good shops now. 
  • I'm grateful for Later,,, for introducing me to Savages, Arcade Fire and many others. Amy Winehouse's appearance when Back In Black was first launched was sublime.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    edited October 2018
    I think it's total shit that should have been axed years ago. We are going through a really good period in contemporary music, and having that smug cat faced twat fronting it with such a stale format is missing a major opportunity for the BBC. 

The Tube had an edge to it which made it interesting, Later has become the polar opposite of the Tube. Later has had had some great performers over the years, but the format does not allow decent bands to stretch out. The interviews are wooden and cliquey with too many of his celb mates and hangers on. I also fucking detest his shitty plicky plonk piano which he thinks is an appropriate accompaniment to artists which are on a totally different level to Jools. 

Kill it now and give the budget and airtime to someone with some ideas.