Do quality channel switching amps exist?

What's Hot
It's always been a compromise or a trade off in my experience.

1. You crank your Vox AC30, Marshall Plexi or Hiwatt but then aren't able to switch to a quality clean sound. So you try overdrive pedals and have the amp set to clean. No pedals sounds as good as a cranked overdriven amp
2. You buy an amp with 2 channels - Orange, Fender deville etc and find that one channel is inferior or they share the same EQ and can't be tuned to perfection.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    I can't wait to see the answers to this, great question.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'd say most Mesa's are quality channel switching amps, usually each channel has it's own EQ and there are enough volume controls to match the channels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Sometimes we, as guitarists, expect to sound like an album track when we play. But there's multiple guitar tracks and engineers riding the faders and adding other effects as required and the soundssof the rooms. Some sounds and changes of sounds aren't obtainable by the player and his equipment alone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3156
    tFB Trader
    Quality? Yes.

Exceptional? No.

Somewhere in between? Maybe.

My own opinion of course, but I find that there’s always an element of compromise in a channel-switching amplifier. 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I like it this way

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited October 2018
    Yes, Soldano. The SLO doesn't have a weak spot, and neither do the Hot Rods.

By extension, the Jet City amps are just as good - especially the JCA22H, which doesn't have the loony effects loop of the 50H and 100H.

Ultimately, though, this is one of the reasons I've gone down the Helix route. No need to worry whether an amp has the right combination of channels, because you've got all of them.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Most Mesas. My personal favourite is the Trem-o-verb, but there are other good ones.

Rivera - do the Fender-clean, Marshall-dirt thing better than a Mesa, but with a less defined character of their own.

But as RiftAmps says there is always *some* compromise - at the very least, you may prefer different speakers for your 'perfect' clean and overdriven sounds.

The only way to have no compromise at all is to get both amps and an A/B box...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Mesa Dual Rectifer, Brunetti 059, Diezel Vh4/ Herbert, Marshall Jcm2000 DSL, Soldanos. Take your pick 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    It's always been a compromise or a trade off in my experience.

1. You crank your Vox AC30, Marshall Plexi or Hiwatt but then aren't able to switch to a quality clean sound. So you try overdrive pedals and have the amp set to clean. No pedals sounds as good as a cranked overdriven amp
    2. You buy an amp with 2 channels - Orange, Fender deville etc and find that one channel is inferior or they share the same EQ and can't be tuned to perfection.

Any kind of preamp gain or boost or overdrive pedal is a compromise if you like a valve amp at saturation. However it's not one or the other. Blending both for me works. Try running the amp at the point of breakup when playing hard. Now add an overdrive specifically designed for an amp that's working hard (TS, Klon(e) etc).
  • RiftAmps said:
    Quality? Yes.

Exceptional? No.

Somewhere in between? Maybe.

My own opinion of course, but I find that there’s always an element of compromise in a channel-switching amplifier. 
    I beg to differ. My Diesel VH4 being a case in point. Best high gain rhyhmn tone in the industry. Outstanding cleans. Easily competitive crunch channel, all 4 channels have dedicated equipment and dedicated loops.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Haven't owned one so can't speak for reliability but tonally I love the Marshall JVM. The orange OD channel is just huge. I'd have one if they were more portable.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    edited October 2018

"I My own opinion of course, but I find that there’s always an element of compromise in a channel-switching amplifier. "

I suppose someone COULD make an amp with two identical channels and EQ up to the PI and switch them? No compromise but many people would feel short changed I think paying for essentially the same thing twice!

Just found the book! The Series One 200 has two channels each with gain, volume,  TMB ISF then a master resonance, presence and VC.  The whole lot can be switched via MIDI.

Dave.

• TTBZ said:
    Haven't owned one so can't speak for reliability but tonally I love the Marshall JVM. The orange OD channel is just huge. I'd have one if they were more portable.
    Ive got one....sounds are pretty good but its not in the VH4's league and general noise issues and switching lag puts me off it a bit...its not a bad amp but its definietly an example that has some compromises..apparently much better in the JS model
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • The Egnator tweaker comes pretty close, with two identical channels you can tweak to your hearts content 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited October 2018
    Much dependent on what you want in terms of clean/dirty sounds. My old MkIII Boogie had stellar Blackface Fender-like cleans and a great, fat, mid-biased drive channel - but there’s a fair chance that neither sound will represent someone’s personal ‘ideal’.

In my experience most single-channel amps do their thing better than half of most two-channel amps....
  • So, simply-put...there are three possibilities:

1 - You haven't done enough research.
    2 - You haven't defined your requirements tightly enough, and then not done enough research.
    3 - You actually don't want a multi-channel amp.

:D
    <space for hire>
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    There was one in the classifieds last I looked.

Redplate Aurora.  
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Mesa Mark V 25 but one of the best I've heard recently is the Suhr PT (Pete Thorn) 100 - 3 channels of goodness (clean, crunch, lead)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    Play a Redplate.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Kebabkid said:
    Mesa Mark V 25 but one of the best I've heard recently is the Suhr PT (Pete Thorn) 100 - 3 channels of goodness (clean, crunch, lead)
    I have had the 50W Suhr PT50 for almost 10 years now and have no intention of changing amps.
    When I got it I sold half a dozen amps, although I got an Axe FX soon after as well.

The best thing about tit is the FX Loop, which doesn't sound shit at low levels.