Help needed! Ill fitting bridge; new holes or sand?

What's Hot
 Got some new hardware for my kit and the bridges holes are slightly further back from the pre-drilled holes in the body (hopefully you can see in the pics below)
Should I drill new holes, which would be quite close to the old ones or sand the bridge pick up cavity and move the bridge forward to fit? 
I measured the distance from nut to e saddle, which I think is correct

Gurus of the board help

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    What is the current drilling pattern? 

Given the cheepnis of the bridge in the photograph, it might be wiser to refrain from using it. Find another bridge that conforms to the existing drilling pattern.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    If you want to use that bridge, you need to enlarge the pickup cavity and move the bridge position forward - by as much as 1/4" - otherwise you will not be able to intonate it correctly without some of the saddles falling off the ends of the intonation screws.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FriskyDingoFriskyDingo Frets: 18
    edited October 2018
    It's 3 screw hole and it's the only one I can find with 6 saddles
    So I want to use this bridge and il expand the bridge pickup cavity as the bridge covers it up
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    edited October 2018
    ICBM said:
    If you want to use that bridge, you need to enlarge the pickup cavity and move the bridge position forward - by as much as 1/4" - otherwise you will not be able to intonate it correctly without some of the saddles falling off the ends of the intonation screws.
    Look at where the tape measure sits on the nut.  

@FriskyDingo you should measure from the fretboard side of the nut.  The high e should be bang on 25,5".   The bridge could do with moving slightly towards the neck, but not as much as your measurements make it look 
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    The scale length measurement needs to be taken from the fretboard edge of the nut, your photos currently show it being measured from the back side of the nut. Would be worth re-measuring to see where the high e is in relation to the scale length.
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
  • Here's new measurement from fretboard side. The centre of the hole of the saddle to the centre of the pre-drilled hole is about 4.2mm

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27486
    I can't see whether you'd want to move the bridge left (towards the neck) or right (away from the neck) in the above photo.

But, you've got a lot of movement available in the top E saddle if you need to move the bridge left.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    If you want the bridge plate to fit alongside the scratch plate then you’ll have to drill new fixing holes. As @ICBM says, you might also need to widen the pickup cavity below the bridge plate.

If you don’t want to do this work then you could just mount the plate using the existing holes, and find some longer screws to hold the E and B saddles. 

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    WezV said:

Look at where the tape measure sits on the nut.
    Ha! Yes - the optical illusion when viewing on a phone screen is that it's over the fingerboard side of the nut, whereas it's actually hooked on the other side :).

It looks from the new photo like the correct adjustment is more like half that - about 1/8". Is that about the difference in the screw hole positions? If so then it's still the pickup cavity which needs to be modified. The gap between the bridge and the pickguard would then be about right as well.

The good news is that it will be hidden by the bridge so you don't need to worry too much about super neat workmanship.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It doesn't have to meet the scratch plate. Just left enough so the holes in the bridge meet the pre-drilled holes in the body, which is about 4.2mm to the left
    It doesn't have to meet the scratch plate. Just left enough so the holes in the bridge meet the pre-drilled holes in the body, which is about 4.2mm to the left
    That sounds about right, and will give you plenty of adjustment room on the saddles.

That's a lot of wood to sand away though - I would suggest a router or a chisel. A good sharp chisel will actually make quite a neat job of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chisel it is! I have sandpaper attachment for my drill to assist. Unfortunately I'm gong on holiday /honeymoon on Tuesday with work in between so may not have time before to make adjustments 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    Chisel it is! I have sandpaper attachment for my drill to assist. Unfortunately I'm gong on holiday /honeymoon on Tuesday with work in between so may not have time before to make adjustments 
    I'm not sure if you're fiance/wife would appreciate the word unfortunately before I'm going on holiday/honeymoon! 

Maybe you should edit the word out, just in case she reads is your postings. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSES said:
    Chisel it is! I have sandpaper attachment for my drill to assist. Unfortunately I'm gong on holiday /honeymoon on Tuesday with work in between so may not have time before to make adjustments 
    I'm not sure if you're fiance/wife would appreciate the word unfortunately before I'm going on holiday/honeymoon! 

Maybe you should edit the word out, just in case she reads is your postings. 
    She's not on here. Fortunately. And she understands my guitar obsession, or at least tolerates it. 
    She can't wait for me to get a shed so I can work out of the house. That's a sign of a good marriage, right? 
  • It's 3 screw hole and it's the only one I can find with 6 saddles
    So I want to use this bridge and il expand the bridge pickup cavity as the bridge covers it up
    I just bought this bridge, cos I too wanted 6 saddles.
    https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-Vintage-Bridge-w-Six-Brass-Saddles-p/arutb0406.htm