Using 2 delay pedals

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10693
What interesting things should I try out? I've got a Boss DD5 and an Ibanez AD9.
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If I use two delays most of the time I have one for slapback and one for a more conventional echo or else one on a 1/8th and one on a dotted 1/8th.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    Yep I've tried a few 2/3 rhythms. I think i need two digi delays to explore it properly because the analogue one sounds too nice and natural. I'll try the slapback idea.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited April 2014
    This....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    I like to use an analogue delay set fairly short (obviously... ;) ) with a low number of repeats followed by a digital set long - either a multiple of the same delay time or not - with a higher number of repeats so you get a syncopated repeat pattern... quite U2-like. You can make it even more interesting by having the analogue in front of the amp and the digital in the loop, too - that gives you more options.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Hey thanks all of you, ok i'm making progress. Doesn't sound brilliant though but i'll carry on fiddling.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I've got an MXR Carbon Copy on my big board, which goes through the FX loop. I really want one of the cool retro-looking Ibanez Echo Shifter delays to put through the front of the amp on the same board. That'd be ace.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I like to make it sound like ahhh can play fasterst.
  • Bucket said:
    I've got an MXR Carbon Copy on my big board, which goes through the FX loop. I really want one of the cool retro-looking Ibanez Echo Shifter delays to put through the front of the amp on the same board. That'd be ace.
    They do, very occasionally, appear on eBay, I paid for one a while back and the bloke never delivered.

I paid £30 ;) hence why he never sent it.  I got a refund luckily. 

• littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    My old board had a short into a long delay if/when they were on together, actually (IIRC) not set too differently from how littlegreenman has his ^^^. With a chorus in front of them. The long was set for a long solo delay (a bit like Dave Murray) and the short was set as a slight expansion for a clean tone, which worked really well with the chorus set quite lightly.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Not actually my pedals, but it is how I set mine up. I have the long delay at double the time of the short so you get the short delays repeated at longer intervals, if you get what I mean? Totally stole the idea from a certain bald guitar wizz! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Bucket said:
    They do, very occasionally, appear on eBay, I paid for one a while back and the bloke never delivered.

I'm talking about the new ones, which are about £100 and look and sound awesome. Analog with tap tempo, yes please :D

• Those new echo shifters do look smart
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Andy Timmons has 2 delays on all the time I think. 
  • I love the cascading repeats you get from using 2, it's a bit nice :)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Not actually my pedals, but it is how I set mine up. I have the long delay at double the time of the short so you get the short delays repeated at longer intervals, if you get what I mean? Totally stole the idea from a certain bald guitar wizz! ;)
    I do get this, mine were set pretty much like that. Short was roughly half the long, but slightly out for a slight chorus effect, with out having the chorus on.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

edited April 2014
    Ok. What I've done is:

Guitar>TS9>Carvin Legacy 1>Loop>Boss stereo chorus, splitting into two signals:

>Ad9 (short)>Carvin Legacy 1 return
    >DD3 (long, analogue setting)>Hum Eliminator>Carvin Legacy II return

photo image_zpse666943f.jpg
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22118
    One short going into one long = yummy. 

Then do the same with reverb. One short going into one long is awesome. 

• Bucket said:
    Bucket said:

I'm talking about the new ones, which are about £100 and look and sound awesome. Analog with tap tempo, yes please :D

Oh man, I need one.
    edited April 2014
    Oh man, I need one.
    You and me both :D

There's a demo or two of it floating around and it can do some nice "normal" sounding delays, but some pretty out-there stuff as well if you need (go to 1:50 for example). And the tap tempo thing is great... I will definitely be having one at some point.

Fuck me, it sounds even better than I remembered.