Is Facebook turning people into morons?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
Genuine question. 

I have always liked Facebook for the discussion groups. If you find a good one based on something that you are interested in then it can be a great source of interest and entertainment. Having said that, the dumb stuff that people post just seems so annoying at times. 

One of the things that I am a big fan of is Dr Who. As with other things, I like interesting discussion and facts, but honestly, so much moronic stuff turns up these days. I got lambasted for pissing on their parade a couple of days ago, I had a rant when this was posted:

Which Doctor are you based on your phone battery?

Utterly dumb sh*te if you ask me, what is the point of that on any level? Everyone else is happy to chip in with 'yay I got Matt Smith' or 'boo I got Troughton, I'm gonna come back when I've charged my phone' etc ad infinitum

That is just the tip of the iceberg of course. People are constantly reposting 'Let me rape your personal info' quizzes, or can I guess your favourite colour with ten questions bollocks, or My fairy name is Goldenglade Daisybell, what's yours?

There are still some useful places there for me, but honestly, how is everyone so entertained by all the truly mindless stuff? Also, I have one of those friends who can't survive without posting every minute of his life, daily 'view from my window', his kids somewhere, his dinner, his latest run - we even got a 'live running in the rain and wind' video! Yeah, blocked him in the end.

I genuinely think that people on the whole are getting more moronic, more accepting that this is entertainment. 

Fortunately I do have intelligent friends who post insightful stuff like Trevor Noah on the Daily show. The Daily show really does have some superb, insightful, educated material to entertain and inform, unlike most of the dross.

OK, grumpy old man rant over, they are beckoning me back to the cage now ....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    There have always been morons, just they used to read the Sun or OK magazine. I used to work with a woman who’d read her horoscope in the Sun, but if it wasn’t any good she’d say it was a load of rubbish and then ask to borrow another paper to get a better one. They live amongst us.

The constant attention seekers on there are an annoying thing, but in a lot of cases they’ve got low self esteem or are genuinely just lonely people who’s only social contact is on Facebook.  I do use it myself and it definitely has its uses, but you do have to filter out an awful lot of crap. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    There's always been morons, it's just that social media allows you to make a complete cunt of yourself in front of millions rather than just your mates.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    50% of people have below average intelligence

This was also true before Facebook
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    That’s why I left Facebook ten years ago. Tried it briefly, got bored of all the bull very very quickly. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

Which is worse, someone finding fun in something pointless, or someone wasting their time getting all wound up about something pointless?

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    In a way though, it's an educational tool: people with stupid ideas (borrowed or their own) are often corrected by friends (or strangers)
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited October 2018
    Paul_C said:

Which is worse, someone finding fun in something pointless, or someone wasting their time getting all wound up about something pointless?

"who is the bigger fool? the fool, or the fool who gets wound up by the fool?"

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Timehop has made it infinitely worse by people reposting some drivel every year over and over again...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • It's like any piece of technology - it's how it's used.  Normal, well-adjusted people post normal, well-adjusted things.  Morons post moronic shit.  It's just that the normal, well-adjusted folks are now more aware of the morons because their moronic shit is out there for all to see.

But it also allows the isolated pockets of moronic shit to become joined up.  Hence the rise in anti-vax bollocks, flat-earthism, extreme views, etc.

In a way though, it's an educational tool: people with stupid ideas (borrowed or their own) are often corrected by friends (or strangers)
    You mean like how we all successfully 'corrected' sir_axeman?  ;)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I don’t use Facebook....I use various forums for my interests, that suits me fine, I’m not against it I just don’t find the need for it.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    A lot of people are morons, naturally.

The internet simply gives said morons a voice.

Doesnt have to be Facebook, any social media platform or forum will do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I’d be lost without Facebook - it would take me bloody hours to ring round all my mates and find out what they are having for tea.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    lonestar said:
    Most people are morons, naturally.
    FTFY
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Facebook hasn't turned people into morons, it's just allowed them to show it more easily.

I can't remember where I saw it but I read something that said "The perfect illustration of the speed of light being faster than the speed of sound, is how people can look intelligent until they open their mouths to speak"
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Facebook hasn't turned people into morons, it's just allowed them to show it more easily.

I can't remember where I saw it but I read something that said "The perfect illustration of the speed of light being faster than the speed of sound, is how people can look intelligent until they open their mouths to speak"
    Must remember that one...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Paul_C said:

"who is the bigger fool? the fool, or the fool who gets wound up by the fool?"

You mean like how we all successfully 'corrected' sir_axeman?  ;)
    The farce is strong in that one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited October 2018
    Your FB feed is a reflection of your friend list and the interactions you make on the platform.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018
    Your FB feed is a reflection of your friend list and the interactions you make on the platform.

If it’s full of mostly dumb stuff on your personal FB it’s pilot error.
    Actually the thing that annoys me most is the random warning messages it throws up mid flight, the random suggestions for other airports, planes and airlines I should try and the crappy and inane “you’ll be amazed by these facts about the fuel tank in a DC10”
  • Your FB feed is a reflection of your friend list and the interactions you make on the platform.

If it’s full of mostly dumb stuff on your personal FB it’s pilot error.
    Actually the thing that annoys me most is the random warning messages it throws up mid flight, the random suggestions for other airports, planes and airlines I should try and the crappy and inane “you’ll be amazed by these facts about the fuel tank in a DC10”
    Lol...

i dif edit out the second part part of the post as I didn’t think it added anything useful.

But I can honestly say my FB is fine, it’s almost all music/guitar stuff on my feed. I barely interact on public posts so I don’t actually get much of that in my feed.

You can also snooze or unfollow people.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited October 2018
    I have friends that have turned into attention seekers through facebook and other social media platforms.

Whenever I go on a trip with them, they're taking photos of their dinner and climbing up lamp posts to get the stupidest photo possible, or leaving the hotel at 3am to get a panoramic picture of the sunrise, because that's what their mate posted when they visited the area (not because they will enjoy it - They leave directly after the snap).

I find it pretty unbearable - Perhaps I was born in the wrong era.