Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What temperature do you set your house to be in the winter

What's Hot
so, not so much what does the control say, but what do thermometers say in your main rooms
Also: do you have the bedrooms cooler?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4221
    TRVs on all the rads so the bedroom’s cooler. I hate sleeping in a warm bedroom. 

No no thermostat though - the people we bought the house from were kind enough to fit a brand-new Worcester boiler nine months prior, but without a stat. If it gets too hot I switch it off, the house stays warm a good while anyway. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11949
    randella said:
    TRVs on all the rads so the bedroom’s cooler. I hate sleeping in a warm bedroom. 

No no thermostat though - the people we bought the house from were kind enough to fit a brand-new Worcester boiler nine months prior, but without a stat. If it gets too hot I switch it off, the house stays warm a good while anyway. 

even if you have no central thermostat, what temperature do you aim for in the rooms?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4221
    Probably about 21. It’s what I have the car set to, that *does* have a thermostat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thermostat is set to 15'C.
    It's in the hall which is slightly cooler than the living room, the living room ends up at 18'c according to the thermometer in here. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    edited October 2018
    Ours is set to 21, but it’s very old and not exactly accurate. I suspect the actual temp is around 19/20 downstairs. We’ve got TRVs on the bedroom rads, set lower. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
  • Our thermostat is in the hall near the kitchen. Not a great location to be honest because it's warmer there than the sitting room. We normally have it set to 20.

But when winter sets in and it gets cold outside we usually have to raise it so we can get 20 in our sitting room. 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12400
    Ours is off all winter, big wood burner in the main room and free wood that I collect all year round, got a garage full of logs and coal that will see me through to next spring. The boiler is a new Worcester thought, we do turn it on if we have visitors though, the rest of the house is probably a little chilly if you’re not used to it. Saves a lot of money.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Warm enough that I don't feel cold, and cool enough that MrsICBM doesn't complain about it being too hot.

ie an imaginary mathematical number that does not exist in the physical world.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    21 is usually pretty comfortable  :)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    21 at key times like 6:30-9am and 4-11pm.  18 overnight so that the bedrooms don't get too warm. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    Still thinking in Fahrenheit:  68ºF downstairs, 62ºF upstairs.

Now being the proud owner of an old hollowbody are there any special precautions to take when the heating comes on? The guitar hangs on the wall in the living room so temp is fairly stable.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    JezWynd said:

Now being the proud owner of an old hollowbody are there any special precautions to take when the heating comes on? The guitar hangs on the wall in the living room so temp is fairly stable.
    Bearing in mind it survived for decades before central heating was a thing, it shouldn't be too bothered by temperature changes. Humidity could be more of an issue, but in the UK it shouldn't cause any real problems.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
    JezWynd said:
    Still thinking in Fahrenheit:  68ºF downstairs, 62ºF upstairs.

How many florins is your electricity bill?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Our timer/thermostat is located on the stairs and is set between 20.5° and 21°, depending on the time of day. This equates to roughly 20° in the living room, which is comfortable for the two of us.
    It's set to 18° overnight, as we both prefer it cooler in order to sleep.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27143
    We have AC, not heating, but we tend to set it around the 21/22C mark. I'd ideally have it cooler at night but that gets expensive when it's 40+ outside.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited October 2018
    Freezing its set to. 

Never have to be out of bed early except Sundays when the shift is an early all dayer, the rest I'm on evenings so get home around 11pm. When I get up out of bed its like 11am, so its not too bad. 

I'm not allowed it on at when I get home though due to those being in bed getting too hot lmao. Inconsiderate bastards, so usually I sit with the xbox and a cuppa and they warm me up a bit, but generally just used to being constantly cold now. 

Its my feet that kill me, bad circulation or something, theyre ice constantly!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11949
    I like it at 24°C, 24 hours a day

Last house was normally 28°C all winter
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2465
    edited October 2018
    Thermostat is in the sitting room, set to 21°C.
    Sitting room radiators are on full, rest have TRVs set lower, apart from bathrooms which have the heat on to dry them out more than for heat.
    Heat is off overnight, and during the day when the house is empty.

Our boiler is a 20 year old oil one, but manages to keep our house (3 bed detached), and more importantly my wife who feels the cold, warm on about 11-1200 litres of oil a year.

I figure a new boiler would only save about £100 a year in heating costs, so I'll only change it when the old one gives up.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Mine's set to about 23°C but it's in the back of the house which is much easier to heat than the front.

The house is a bungalow with pretty large open plan front room & kitchen where the ceiling goes right up to the roof.  The back of the house is about the same size but is 3 rooms and a corridor with a lower ceiling.

At 23
    °C it gets too hot for me in the back of the house so I have to leave the bedroom window open so it's a comfortable temperature for me to sleep.  Front rooms just about get warm enough but in mid winter I'll still need to either light the fire or put a heater on to keep warm.  Keeping the house at a comfortable temperature is a constant problem.