Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What temperature do you set your house to be in the winter

What's Hot

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

Now being the proud owner of an old hollowbody are there any special precautions to take when the heating comes on? The guitar hangs on the wall in the living room so temp is fairly stable.
    Bearing in mind it survived for decades before central heating was a thing, it shouldn't be too bothered by temperature changes. Humidity could be more of an issue, but in the UK it shouldn't cause any real problems.
    Thanks ICBM, humidity, or lack of, was my main concern. Perhaps i’ll Leave a dish of water on a radiator to put some moisture back into the air.

.octatonic said
    How many florins is your electricity bill?
    Surely i’m not the only one who still judges temperature in old money? Centigrade doesn’t give me feel for how warm or cold it is in the same way that a Fahrenheit number will.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Heating on in the Winter when there are R8’s to buy ? !, soft Southern Jessie’s ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    randella said:
    TRVs on all the rads so the bedroom’s cooler. I hate sleeping in a warm bedroom. 

No no thermostat though - the people we bought the house from were kind enough to fit a brand-new Worcester boiler nine months prior, but without a stat. If it gets too hot I switch it off, the house stays warm a good while anyway. 
    Building regs and gas safe state you must have at least one stat attached to the system. I’d get it checked to see if it was installed by a competent installer. The regs changed in 2015 and most plumbers obviously didn’t bother to read. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    18 - or when I was married - 34....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    grungebob said:
    randella said:
    TRVs on all the rads so the bedroom’s cooler. I hate sleeping in a warm bedroom. 

No no thermostat though - the people we bought the house from were kind enough to fit a brand-new Worcester boiler nine months prior, but without a stat. If it gets too hot I switch it off, the house stays warm a good while anyway. 
    Building regs and gas safe state you must have at least one stat attached to the system. I’d get it checked to see if it was installed by a competent installer. The regs changed in 2015 and most plumbers obviously didn’t bother to read. 
    If it’s a combi boiler the stat could be on the boiler itself. The TRVs would control the individual room temps. That’s how the system in my mum’s place works. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364

RedRabbit said:
    Mine's set to about 23°C but it's in the back of the house which is much easier to heat than the front.

The house is a bungalow with pretty large open plan front room & kitchen where the ceiling goes right up to the roof.  The back of the house is about the same size but is 3 rooms and a corridor with a lower ceiling.

At 23°C it gets too hot for me in the back of the house so I have to leave the bedroom window open so it's a comfortable temperature for me to sleep.  Front rooms just about get warm enough but in mid winter I'll still need to either light the fire or put a heater on to keep warm.  Keeping the house at a comfortable temperature is a constant problem.
    Sounds like your system needs a major rad balancing job. 
  • Ours is off all winter, big wood burner in the main room and free wood that I collect all year round, got a garage full of logs and coal that will see me through to next spring. The boiler is a new Worcester thought, we do turn it on if we have visitors though, the rest of the house is probably a little chilly if you’re not used to it. Saves a lot of money.

The same here, wood stove in the lounge to burn free wood, this years batch from trees felled in the garden. And an Aga in the kitchen keeps it warm. I live in a large Victorian vicarage, it would cost a fortune to keep temps high all the time. The central heating system is fairly new and split into two circuits, upstairs & down. Upstairs will come on for an hour in the morning and for a couple in late evening for kids bedtime. Otherwise I just put it on when needed, so don't use the thermostat.

I have got used to it by now; when I stay in another house that has a constant high temp, I find it uncomfortable and difficult to sleep. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    We have AC, not heating, but we tend to set it around the 21/22C mark. I'd ideally have it cooler at night but that gets expensive when it's 40+ outside.
    Same.

Do you have a pool in your condo?
    we’ve got into the habit of a swim about 30 mins before bed.
    It is lovely.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    boogieman said:
    grungebob said:
    randella said:

If it’s a combi boiler the stat could be on the boiler itself. The TRVs would control the individual room temps. That’s how the system in my mum’s place works. 
    Has to be a separate stat. The boiler stat is a blow off prevention safety feature and only measures send and return temperatures. You need at least one room stat. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Ours is off all winter, big wood burner in the main room and free wood that I collect all year round, got a garage full of logs and coal that will see me through to next spring. The boiler is a new Worcester thought, we do turn it on if we have visitors though, the rest of the house is probably a little chilly if you’re not used to it. Saves a lot of money.

The same here, wood stove in the lounge to burn free wood, this years batch from trees felled in the garden. And an Aga in the kitchen keeps it warm. I live in a large Victorian vicarage, it would cost a fortune to keep temps high all the time. The central heating system is fairly new and split into two circuits, upstairs & down. Upstairs will come on for an hour in the morning and for a couple in late evening for kids bedtime. Otherwise I just put it on when needed, so don't use the thermostat.

I have got used to it by now; when I stay in another house that has a constant high temp, I find it uncomfortable and difficult to sleep. 

Similar here. There are separate radiator circuits upstairs and down. Separate controllers allow us to vary the target temperature of the core of the house throughout the 24 hours. We use a profile which varies between 16C and 21C. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3156
    tFB Trader

This is our* Nest heating schedule. We live in a 1st floor flat so don't need to set the thermostat as high as we might usually. These temps usually keep Mrs Rift warm enough so she doesn't complain in the evening and the heated towel rail warms up her dressing gown in the morning. We both prefer a cold bedroom so the radiator is turned down in there and usually have the window cracked open.

*mine. She's not allowed to touch the thermostat :)
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    RiftAmps said:

This is our* Nest heating schedule. We live in a 1st floor flat so don't need to set the thermostat as high as we might usually. These temps usually keep Mrs Rift warm enough so she doesn't complain in the evening and the heated towel rail warms up her dressing gown in the morning. We both prefer a cold bedroom so the radiator is turned down in there and usually have the window cracked open.

*mine. She's not allowed to touch the thermostat :)
    brrrr
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We don't set a thermostat.  We set the heating at a level that feels about right for the time of year.  Usually switch off at bed time and on again when we get up.  Might not get switched on in the summer, and might leave it on at a low setting overnight in the winter.

Apart from that, f we're cold we turn it up, if we're too hot we turn it down.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    18 and I ride the thermo
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    18 and I ride the thermo
    That has to be a euphemism....
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    For those of you with terminally cold women, here is a tip I can recommend.

For a long time now recording studios have told artists, usually singers, that a fader on the console is theirs to adjust. The fader does nothing but the artist thinks it does.
    It works really well as a tactic when you are just trying to get the mix done and irritating vocalist is making demands, usually ‘more of them’.
    This works.

So install a fake thermostat in your house, tell your spouse/daughters to adjust it whenever they are cold.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Me = 21degC
    Wife = Off the dial....
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited October 2018
    octatonic said:
    For those of you with terminally cold women, here is a tip I can recommend.

For a long time now recording studios have told artists, usually singers, that a fader on the console is theirs to adjust. The fader does nothing but the artist thinks it does.
    It works really well as a tactic when you are just trying to get the mix done and irritating vocalist is making demands, usually ‘more of them’.
    This works.

So install a fake thermostat in your house, tell your spouse/daughters to adjust it whenever they are cold.
    Ha ha. This is good.

Most guitarists could do with a fake volume knob on their amps. You know, one that makes the guitarist believe that he's turning his amp up when in fact it's still sitting nicely in the mix with all of the other instruments.

20-21C in our house
  • Thermostat set at 21 day and night and is never touched all year. Bedroom temp can be adjusted via the TRV

Much Cheaper to run this way, the boiler only fires on for short periods keeping temp at a constant 21.,  

• Off overnight, rooms are around 18 degrees. If we feel cold we put on another layer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom