Boring question about kitchen worktops

We have been letting our house to friends for a couple of years. They have looked after it well with one exception -- the wooden kitchen worktop has got wet and gone black in the area round the sink. It's obviously been getting worse for a while and goes into the wood a bit, it's not just something superficial you could easily sand away.

Our tenants have given notice and I need to tart the place up a bit to attract some new ones. This is one of the things that needs sorting. Any ideas? Any mileage in aggressively sanding it and taking a couple of mm off the top, or should we look at having it replaced or covered?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    You could try a wood restorer which might bleach it back to close to normal colour and then let you oil it/finish it afterwards.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    sand it starting at 60 grit grade.........then wood bleach the bad bits and sand down to fine grade and finish with oil
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    I doubt it’ll look good, even with bleaching. You’ll never get the finish to really match the rest of the wood. Personally I’d replace them, it’s not that expensive but it can be a bit of a pain to do, especially if they’ve been tiled over the top.