Can anyone make me a Clapton mod SG tailpiece?

What's Hot
Hopefully this pic link will 
a) work
b) explain better than I CAN.

https://imgur.com/a/H0K61

This is essentially the skeleton of a maestro vibrola with the comb, trem arm and lyre cover removed. The trapeze tailpiece has then been drilled for string holes, thus improving the notoriously maestro dodgy break angle.
Apparently this is a reasonable simple job for anyone with metalwork skills. I have none but am willing to pay (almost) handsomely to get the job done.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    If you have a donor tailpiece, then it's a simple matter of drilling some holes.

Otherwise to make the complete thing would be quite a bit more involved. Easy if you have all the tools required, but it's one of those parts that looks simple, but requires quite a bit of machinery to make.
    Bending the round bar is relatively easy. Could be done in a vise with a bit care, but a suitable bender/dies would make the bends more consistent.
    The wider section (which has been drilled for the strings), will require a bit skilled use of a grinder/sander/linisher to get the rounded top (it's unlikely you'll get a bit bar the correct profile in small quantities), which then needs a bit flat bar brazed to the bottom for the mounting screws (probably at the same time as brazing in the bit round bar).
    The narrower part looks like it's been done with a press brake to get the sharp 90degree angle, before it's been pressed/wrapped around the bar, which would require a press with suitable dies to get a nice smooth curve to the wrap.
    And before you start, you need either some accurate measurements, or a donor part to copy.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Rather than start from scratch and machine everything, I'd spend £60 on one of these then take the Dremel to it!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Gagaryn said:
    Rather than start from scratch and machine everything, I'd spend £60 on one of these then take the Dremel to it!
    You could also easily sell the left-over parts, particularly the arm and spring, since these are often needed as spares.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Apologies for my buffoonery. Should have said I have a donor tailpiece. But I will lose at least one finger attempting to drill my own holes. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Wear safety glasses. Use a pillar drill with the bar clamped in a vise to drill the holes. Mark the positions of the holes with a centre punch before attempting to drill them. Wear safety glasses.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum