The Boomtown Rats

RockerRocker Frets: 4981
Gave 'The Best Of The Boomtown Rats' a spin in the CD player and was floored by the quality of the songs and the playing. I liked the band when they came on the scene around the late 1970s but did not fully appreciate the skilled songwriting or the playing on the recordings. Another surprise is that the songs still sound as good and fresh as ever. Well worth seeking out....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Yeah stuff like Diamond Smiles and Someone Looking At You are insainly good guitar pop songs 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Rat Trap is one of the greatest songs ever written in my opinion.

A Tonic For The Troops is absolutely chock-full of classics as well as that, Like Clockwork and She's So Modern - there isn't a poor track on it, and as you say the musicianship and arrangements are superb too. Oddly, it was produced by Mutt Lange, whose production I usually dislike.

The Fine Art Of Surfacing is nearly as good and has I Don't Like Mondays on it - the really shocking thing about that song is that when it was written, school shootings in the USA were so rare and shocking that a band from another country wrote a song about one. Now, they're so commonplace that a shooting on that scale - two dead, nine injured - would probably not even make the national news.

After that I really don't know what happened...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    There is a feature about the shooting on the internet @ICBM, google I don’t like Monday’s and follow the links. 

The BR song ‘Banana Republic’ is about Ireland as it was back then. Sadly not a lot has changed in the meantime. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    I play Rat Trap acoustically, goes down well

stopped playing “I don’t like Monday’s” publically cos the theme is a bit grim these days, which is a shame as it’s a good song to play

always loved diamond smiles
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6683
    I liked their eponymous first album best. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    So many great bands in that era to be honest