Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Top 40 best selling studio albums, according to Radio 2...

What's Hot

Comments

• StavrosStavros Frets: 335
    I own a few of these, but I’m always a bit bemused by discussions on what comes down to personal taste, “one man's meat is another man's poison” as my mum used to say!
    I love my brick
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I own 5.
    Oasis
    Ed Sheeran x2
    U2
    Kings of Leon

I thought when first looking at that list maybe they came up with it based on #of weeks at #1 in the charts. But there's albums there that were only #1 for 1 week and The Darkness's "Permission to Land" was #1 for 8w in the UK so can't be that.

Still. A lot of bloody awful albums in there.

Some I probably should own too (Bat Out of Hell, Rumours, Sgt Pepper, Dark Side of the Moon, 21 [because after reading that I now have Set Fire to the Rain stuck in my head, thanks]) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • I own 5.
    Oasis
    Ed Sheeran x2
    U2
    Kings of Leon

I thought when first looking at that list maybe they came up with it based on #of weeks at #1 in the charts. But there's albums there that were only #1 for 1 week and The Darkness's "Permission to Land" was #1 for 8w in the UK so can't be that.

Some I probably should own too (Bat Out of Hell, Rumours, Sgt Pepper, Dark Side of the Moon, 21 [because after reading that I now have Set Fire to the Rain stuck in my head, thanks]) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    i have 9,8,4,3 and 1. I'm more mainstream than I thought.
  • Of those, I have
    • Tubular Bells
    • Talk on Corners
    • Bridge over troubled water
    • Rumours
    • Brothers in Arms
    • DSoTM
    • Sgt Pepper
    ... and very little intention of getting any of the others
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272

Can't believe The Sultans of Ping FC aren't on that list.

Wounded.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    We’ve got 22 of those!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    We’ve got 22 of those!
    Snap!

:D

Which are yours? Mine are...

40, 39, 36, 33, 30, 29, 28, 27, 26, 23, 22, 21, 18, 17, 14, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 2 and 1.

Everyone should own Bat Out Of Hell :).

Not sure about 21... it is her best album, but I don’t think it will hold up in 40 years time like the other four do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ICBM said:
    We’ve got 22 of those!
    Snap!

:D

Which are yours? Mine are...

40, 39, 36, 33, 30, 29, 28, 27, 26, 23, 22, 21, 18, 17, 14, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 2 and 1.

40, 39, 36, 34, 33, 32, 31, 29, 26, 25, 24, 22, 21, 17,  16, 14, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1

That's a mix of mine and my wife's
    edited October 2018
    not_the_dj said:

That's a mix of mine and my wife's
    Same here - and mine include some which are my daughters’... I take no responsibility for the Spice Girls, Leona Lewis or Adele .

I also did own War Of The Worlds once, but it was a badly-worn vinyl copy and I haven’t bothered to replace it on CD - it seems a bit dated now, and I’ve got the best song on The Best Of The Moody Blues.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12356
    I own 5.
    Oasis
    Ed Sheeran x2
    U2
    Kings of Leon

+ Brothers in Arms and Tracy Chapman!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    just urban hymns and even it hasn't stood the test of time for me.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    yay War of the Worlds, family car journeys in the late 70s.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983

18. Leona Lewis - Spirit

This one surprised me the most from that list.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    I’ve got 22 of those. Admittedly, a considerable proportion are from my wife’s meagre, yet consistently dire collection of generic pop albums.

its an horrific list.  
    duotone said:

18. Leona Lewis - Spirit

This one surprised me the most from that list.
    She was a Britain’s Got Max Factor winner or something...

The one that surprised me most was Tracy Chapman, I never realised she was that popular.

Also interesting that War Of The Worlds, Bat Out Of Hell and Dark Side Of The Moon were never No.1 albums.

• 40, 39, 36, 34, 33, 32, 31, 29, 26, 25, 24, 22, 21, 17,  16, 14, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1

BINGO !!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I've got three of those, and two of them I picked up in a charity shop just because they were 50p.  

What a dreary list.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Over time I've owned 28 in one form or another.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    Four.

War of the Worlds
    Sgt Pepper
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Back to Black

I like quite a lot of pop and RnB but that list just doesn’t coincide with my taste or my wife’s taste.