Jet City / Eminence speakers

HaychHaych Frets: 5629
What's the general consensus on the Eminence speakers that Jet City use in their amps/cabs?

Are they alright or would changing them for something different give a sonic upgrade?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    There are very few actually bad speakers, some speakers work better in certain situations, and each speaker will add it's own colour to the sound.

I've played through a Jet City 2x12 and thought the speaker was decent, sounded sort of V30 like but I didn't have anything else to compare it to so I'm not sure.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Haych said:
    What's the general consensus on the Eminence speakers that Jet City use in their amps/cabs?

Are they alright or would changing them for something different give a sonic upgrade?
    Yes to both really. I thought the stock speaker in my JC 1x12 cab was pretty good. Swapping it out for a neo Jensen improved things considerably though... guess it depends on what you’re looking to replace it with.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    simonk said:
    Haych said:

Yes to both really. I thought the stock speaker in my JC 1x12 cab was pretty good. Swapping it out for a neo Jensen improved things considerably though... guess it depends on what you’re looking to replace it with.
    Hmm, something a bit 'looser' if that makes any sense?

• They sound better in a 2x12" or 4x12" in my experience - they're quite a modern-sounding speaker, but a small single-speaker enclosure doesn't give them enough room to blossom IMO.

I had no complaints when I was running a JCA24S, for example. I tried various combinations of Celestions in there, and went back to the original speakers in the end.
    <space for hire>
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    If they're anything like Eminence Speakers Soldano use, they'll be real dark, because Soldano's are real bright upper mid rangey amps to begin with.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    It's a pity speakers are such a gamble.  Unless you have a bunch of mates with cabs with all sorts of speakers it's a bit of a minefield to navigate.

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Haych said:
    It's a pity speakers are such a gamble.  Unless you have a bunch of mates with cabs with all sorts of speakers it's a bit of a minefield to navigate.

It's why i tend to stick with the speakers that come in cabs supplied by the company and trust that they're adequately voiced for the amp. I mean, there's probably speakers that may go better, but how are you going to know until you pay the money and try them?

I've got a mate who does a lot of speakers switching, but h's got like 40 guitars and as many amps, so if it doesn't work with one amp, it'll probably work with something else.

He'd accuse Eminence of being muddy in general, i can't comment but then again i'm not unsatisfied with sound i get from my speakers.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I thought the stock Jca speakers were a bit dogshit. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12315
    They are pretty good swapped mine for a Private Jack, the difference was negligible to be honest.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"