Loose, rattly knobs

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
comrades!

I seek counsel. The knobs on my LPJ are so loose in the turn that the slightest accidental contact will cause them to shift, modifying my hard-won toanz. 

Matters have now evolved to the state that they vibrate/resonate to certain bad-ass riff frequencies: irksome when twanging unplugged.

My first thought was to pull ‘em off and tape the shafts before replacing, although while that might deal with the resonance i dont think it would stiffen up the lack of resistance to being turned. All academic though ‘cos all manner of hopeful tugging has failed to get a knob off (fnarr).

May i ask whether anyone has any bright ideas? 

Apols cant embed pics from phone while commuting. Will resolve later.

https://imgur.com/a/bttKO7C

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    CTS pots have larger ends than import style. If you've got knobs for CTS pots and import pots that could cause a similar issue.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Is it the plastic knobs that are shifting around the pot shafts or the pot shafts themselves?

On splined shaft pots, the traditional remedy is PTFE tape.

It is possible that the knobs have been pushed on too firmly, crushing the split portions of the shaft inwards and reducing their grip. It is possible to gently reverse the bending. It might help to wedge something into the shaft split to resist the crushing. (e.g. Card.)

JerkMoans said:
    all manner of hopeful tugging has failed to get a knob off (fnarr).
    Prise them off with a pronged tool and something to protect the surface of the guitar body. I often use the tool for tightening Switchcraft toggle switches. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    In terms of spinning at the slightest touch, I have heard of people taking off the knob and inserting a felt washer under the knob before replacing. It provides some friction/resistance against the scratchplate or guitar surface to the rotation without risking any internal electrical damage. Pumping the pot full with white grease is another more invasive trick. You need to address the floppy knob issue too, @Funkfingers has given you the right stear there.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Another vote for PTFE tape here.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    I thought everyone just used glue.  I see it on so many guitars where I need to remove the knobs, always fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Is it the plastic knobs that are shifting around the pot shafts or the pot shafts themselves?

On splined shaft pots, the traditional remedy is PTFE tape.

It is possible that the knobs have been pushed on too firmly, crushing the split portions of the shaft inwards and reducing their grip. It is possible to gently reverse the bending. It might help to wedge something into the shaft split to resist the crushing. (e.g. Card.)

JerkMoans said:
    all manner of hopeful tugging has failed to get a knob off (fnarr).
    Prise them off with a pronged tool and something to protect the surface of the guitar body. I often use the tool for tightening Switchcraft toggle switches. 
    It’s the pot shafts themselves that spin too easily : the knobs are firmly anchored, and spinning them still adjusts the *timbre* and the volume. So it’s not that the knobs are loose on the shafts.

i do wonder whether tightening the nut holding the potentiometer in place might help... 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

ESBlonde said:
    In terms of spinning at the slightest touch, I have heard of people taking off the knob and inserting a felt washer under the knob before replacing. It provides some friction/resistance against the scratchplate or guitar surface to the rotation without risking any internal electrical damage. Pumping the pot full with white grease is another more invasive trick. You need to address the floppy knob issue too, @Funkfingers has given you the right stear there.
    Now there’s an idea. 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Exciting update!

I got the knobs off and the issue is identified as the pot shafts being a bit loose and rattly. Gonna apply Vaseline to the shafts and see whether that assists with the red-hot action.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    ...aaaand we have a solution. With thanks to all and especially @ESBlonde I finally solved it by slicing a rubber washer in half round the equator, and shoving the resulting thin rubber rings onto each shaft before jamming the knobs back on. Resonant rattling terminated; non-futile resistance to turning achieved.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    It strikes me that "loose, rattly knobs" is about as close as you can get to a perfect description of the average FB'er.

I vote that it goes under the FB logo at the top of every page.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Ok - the problem is that that guitar has the BKP labelled 550k pots which have a really loose friction 
    A felt washer may slow down the movement.
    Or you could have them swapped out for regular CTS 500k ones which are way stiffer to turn.
    The knobs are not the issue - simply the build of the pots

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Ok - the problem is that that guitar has the BKP labelled 550k pots which have a really loose friction 
    A felt washer may slow down the movement.
    Or you could have them swapped out for regular CTS 500k ones which are way stiffer to turn.
    The knobs are not the issue - simply the build of the pots
    Thanks Jon: bodged home fashioned rubber washers did the job unobtrusively :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    JerkMoans said:
    Gonna apply Vaseline to the shafts and see whether that assists with the red-hot action.
    I cannot believe that Bridgehouse has failed to comment on this.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.