If your shelling out a couple of grand plus

What's Hot
On a guitar why not get someone to build exactly what you want?
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Not sure how long it takes but I'm guessing significantly longer than buying one that is already made.

Also, even after giving the luthier what seems your ideal guitar spec-wise on paper, there's no guarantee that the actual guitar that's made in the end will feel perfect to you - then it's not exactly right to just say "nah sorry I've changed my mind" even if you don't pay up front.

If you try out guitars that are already made and you absolutely love one, you can buy that exact one you love.

Note - this, sadly, isn't based on personal experience, just from reasoning (and wondering before your exact question)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3448
    Easy answer would be resale value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    ... and many people don't really know what they want until they see it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9306
    I’ve just placed a custom order with Fender for what on paper is my perfect tele. Pickups, neck shape, woods, switching options, the lot. 

I see it as a bit of a gamble. I’m dropping over £3,500 on a guitar I haven’t played. I generally try a load of guitars and pick the one I want. Probably more sensible
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carlos said:
    Especially if it does not have a F or G on the headstock .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    Well, if you want a particular factory one then you buy that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    For me, whilst I may think I know exactly what spec I want, I’m not a guitar designer and the right spec on paper can make a complete dogs dinner of a guitar. I did a Warmoth build earlier this year, all top class stuff - it turned out really average. Just a guitar that didn’t hang together, the individual Warmoth bits were fine btw.

I want a guitar that’s been “designed” and tested through some iterations to get that “more than the sum of its parts” vibe. Else your basically paying for a prototype.

I think there’s a sweet spot with guitars and amps where a small-ish company with quality reputation that isn’t going to go bust tomorrow is going to deliver a better value and consistant product than the one-man band and his band-saw, as well as the big hitters. And the wait time doesn’t extend by a year because someone got ill for a while. 

Having said that, in both big and small examples, I’d trust more if simply bouncing off a tried theme with great reputation and choosing finish / hardware etc, I.e. Fender CS at one end or Feline at the other.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    On a guitar why not get someone to build exactly what you want?
    What if exactly what you want is on a shop wall in six different colours already, so you can pick your favourite? 

To be fair, I have to modify all be guitars to be exactly what I want, but it's just a capacitor here and a pickup there, there's really no need to start from scratch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited October 2018
    Same reasons that if you had a stack of money to spend on a car, you wouldn't ask someone to custom-make one for you?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Hattigol said:
    Same reasons that if you had a stack of money to spend on a car, you wouldn't ask someone to custom-make one for you?

http://i67.tinypic.com/14uawbb.jpg
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 378
    If you are a serial flipper or are worrying about resale before you’ve got it then it’s probably not for you. As commented above you need a good idea of what you want, and you need to be very clear with the luthier exactly what you want as have seen a number of cases where scope for misinterpretation. On the flip side you can get something handmade by one guy who can be a genuine craftsman as opposed to something essentially coming off a production line, and something unique rather than being one of thousands of generic guitars . I had Alpher guitars build me a guitar, love it, unique to me and no intention of getting rid of it, it’s actually saved me money in longer term as have moved on a number of guitars since it’s arrival as it gets more play time than everything else. Also you gotta be the type who doesn’t give a monkeys what anyone else thinks, 99 percent of guitar players need an F or G on the headstock, or at least to look identical to one of their creations : you’ve only got to look at the love on this forum for all the hundreds of pretty much identical R8s that have flooded the market of late:) Seeing relic custom shop strats selling for > 3k new for a mass production line guitar should be incentive enough to see what’s out there, there are some fantastic craftsman in this country who could make you something by hand with love, care and attention that is truly unique to you, but if you’re likely to want to flip in 6 months, stay away unless you have deep pockets. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited October 2018
    I would absolutely get something by Feline if I had that kind of money to drop on a guitar. I know what I like and I'd rather the money go to someone like Jonathan where I know it's going to result in a quality instrument made to the highest standard, and in the case of his Lions, with useful improvements over the original design.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    Sample variation....

I played a guitar made by a high-end US builder that I thought was stunning - except I didn’t like the colour - and the neck was too thin.

I placed a custom order and waited 8 or 9 months before receiving a dead-sounding, overly heavy guitar that I didn’t like, built to my exact specifications.... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I did it recently with Probett, I recommend it highly *but* with Probett you’re buying a variant of his standard models, from a low production volume and with good quality materials, so in general you know it’s going to work.

That’s a different approach to speccing out a totally custom guitar to your own specs, where the risk is that your hollow ash bodied SG with carved Koa top and bolt on roasted mahogany neck with maple board and Flying V headstock turns out to be a bit of a dog, and different again from speccing a custom factory built guitar made essentially with pre-made off the shelf components bolted together for you.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    carlos said:
    Bang on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sample variation....

I played a guitar made by a high-end US builder that I thought was stunning - except I didn’t like the colour - and the neck was too thin.

I placed a custom order and waited 8 or 9 months before receiving a dead-sounding, overly heavy guitar that I didn’t like, built to my exact specifications.... :)
    What a downer, what was it?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    armitaan said:
    What a downer, what was it?
    Suhr 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I did it recently with Probett, I recommend it highly *but* with Probett you’re buying a variant of his standard models, from a low production volume and with good quality materials, so in general you know it’s going to work.

That’s a different approach to speccing out a totally custom guitar to your own specs, where the risk is that your hollow ash bodied SG with carved Koa top and bolt on roasted mahogany neck with maple board and Flying V headstock turns out to be a bit of a dog, and different again from speccing a custom factory built guitar made essentially with pre-made off the shelf components bolted together for you.
    Yeah, same with me and Alpher , only couple of actual model variants , more just spec’ing woods , hardware and finish. Very keen on the Probetts, the Pelham blue one someone posted on one of the other threads was a beaut.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Biggest reason against it for me is that you can't hear / feel how the final guitar is going to be like until it's built. If you don't like it, it's too late. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Having a 59 reissue LP made for me by my old friend Anthony Ryder who has made a fair few for people on here. I have a love/hate relationship with Les Pauls but if it plays and sounds like the last one he built I shall be a happy bunny indeed. I agree resale on a custom instrument can be a pitfall but being able to spec and interact with your final guitar is a cool thing indeed