Looking for advice regarding a dull sounding EVM 12L

bean7bean7 Frets: 44
Last year I got one of these Mesa Road Ready Cabs (not that exact one) - and then found an old Mesa branded EVM 12L to put in it to get it back closer to stock spec. I've never really paid much attention before, but I realized that it sounds quite sort of dull compared to the speaker in my other amp/combo, a 'Warehouse Veteran 30' in a Verellen Coop. By dull I mean, less highs, less lows, just mostly mids.

I realize the Thiele cab should be distinct sounding (I thought supposed to more bassy), but this does make me wonder if there's something wrong with the speaker or the way it's connected. I connected it by stripping the speaker wire soldered to the jack on the cab, and attaching to the speaker via the 2 spring clips. 

Any suggestions or things to check here? There's no rattles or anything, I can crank the amp nice and loud and its not a bad sound, just quite lofi sounding compared to my other amp which was surprising compared to general descriptions of EVM 12Ls, especially in Thiele cabs.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    If it’s more middy and lo-fi than a Veteran 30 there’s something wrong. I worked on a Boogie MkII recently which had been fitted with a Veteran 30 and it was one of the most middy things I’ve ever heard - I put an original Mesa EV back in it and it sounded far better, with much more bottom-end, top-end and a really big, clear punchy tone.

It doesn’t sound like you’ve wired it wrong so I think the speaker may have a fault. If you lay the cab on its back with the grille off and gently push the speaker cone in and out, does it move freely?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I used to own a Mark III Boogie with a factory EV and it gave exceptional cleans, with lots of sparkle and detail. I agree with @ICBM - the character you describe is not what I’d expect from an EV.
  • bean7bean7 Frets: 44
    I took the speaker out and had a better look at it (pics below) - the cone seems to move freely, though I don't really have a great point of reference not really knowing the right amount of movement. The only noticeable things were a small bit of glue or a repair on the edge (2nd photo), and a blob of glue under the cone (last photo), maybe excess glue? No idea .. 

It's strange, it doesn't sound bad at all, just seems to have a very smoothed off top end, for want of better words. There's no way to get a raspy sound at all (should I want to..). After more thought/playing it seems to have good bass & mids, just the top end is weird somehow. Maybe I'm going mad. Wondering if anything at least visually looks off? 

I think you would notice if the cone was sticking or rubbing, even without experience - it would feel stiff or rough or you would hear it scraping. The repair is very minor and shouldn't affect it - looks like a typical screwdriver-slip hole. The glue on the suspension I think is just excess from manufacture. The only other possibility is that there's something wrong with the voice coil, I think.

It is possible that you're so used to the sound of the Veteran 30 that the EV's much wider and more even frequency range sounds somehow 'dull'. Personally I thought the Veteran 30 was one of the worst speakers I've ever heard, in that Boogie! Although it may just have been a bad match for the amp... but it was all mid, too 'smooth' and with an odd whiny/grating character. I didn't try it with another amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I've always thought of EVM 12's as bold and strident speakers.

I have heard others say they lack character but I think that is because they just reproduce sound. There efficiency rating means they don't seem to re-act with the amp in the way of speaker break up and add to the sound. They are just so good at giving you what comes out of the amp. 

Maybe that's what you are not used to?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    bean7 said:
    the Thiele cab
    The Compact Thiele 1x12 cabinet is front ported. The Road Ready 1x12 might not be.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Funkfingers said:

The Compact Thiele 1x12 cabinet is front ported. The Road Ready 1x12 might not be.
    It definitely is.

Cool, appreciate the input here all - it may just be the difference between what I'm used to and maybe expected. I'd love to compare this to another one at some point out of curiosity.
    Incase anyone finds this interesting - I found this speaker comparison that does a great job capturing what I was reacting to.