I wanna build a fuzz...where to start..?

What's Hot
KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
So yeah I wanna build a fuzz pedal kit and that's about as much thought as I've put into it.

I've looked around, eBay, BYOC etc but it all starts to get a bit blurry after a while. Can anyone recommend a kit for a guy that hasn't really done much technical soldering for longer than I care to mention. Something as a starter kit.

I can solder, I did some rewiring in my mates Technics a few months back but it was simple 101 stuff.

I want something really fuzzy like a Fuzz Face which I have read is a simple pedal 'but' hard to get right (would that be correct?).

Now, I have done some reading on this forum and I realise that I may have opened Pandoras Box. I don't 'assume' that I can do this. I'm doing this for some fun and to see if I can in fact manage it. My knowledge of electronics is slight but not non-existent so I'm not being dismissive, I just wanna give it go.

I know there are resources like FSB and Madbean but I thought I'd ask here first before getting bogged down in other forums.

Any advice and ridicule welcome .
(the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Poodle Pedals.

You can thanks me later.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    Ah yeah I was looking on there on my phone at work last nite. Will take a look on the laptop. Ta.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Another +1 for poodle.

If you can solder and follow instructions you're in.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    I've done loads of Poodle kits. Every one is great, especially the fuzz face and factory :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    Yeah +1 for poodle. I've done a couple of them and fancy doing a fuzz next. And a buffer. And a comp. It's a bit addictive.

Poodle does loads of fuzzes, so I'm a bit bamboozled for choice at the moment. I'm thinking tonebender mkII or Sam Ash.

If you're worried about making a crappy fuzz face, I think the stumbling blocks are generally bias problems and shitty transistors. Neither of these issues will be a problem if you buy from Poodle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9659

Octatonic should invite Mr Poodle here so we can all tell him how great his kits are. ;)

Actually, I've only bought a pre-drilled enclosure kit (with footswitch, jacks etc) for a veroboard project I've done from Poodle - I want to build something else but he so many great kits I just can't decide where to start!

DannyP said:

If you're worried about making a crappy fuzz face, I think the stumbling blocks are generally bias problems and shitty transistors. Neither of these issues will be a problem if you buy from Poodle.
    Yeah that's exactly what I was referring to. I have read about having to adjust the bias although I have no idea how to do it  :\">

Thanks for the replies fellas. I tried to order a fuzz from Poodle last night (and again today) but they are sold out.

Now, maybe someone can confirm this. I'm gonna be using a Dunlop DC brick to power the fuzz, am I right thinking that I should choose the NPN Germanium ?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

I'm in a similar position to you, very Very basic understanding of electronics, but I didn't know about the Poodle Kits and I made one of these a while back. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190821199685&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

It was easy enough, everything is included along with fool proof instructions and it sounds great - although I may be biased as it's the only effect I have ever built!

• DannyP said:

Yeah that's exactly what I was referring to. I have read about having to adjust the bias although I have no idea how to do it  :\">

Thanks for the replies fellas. I tried to order a fuzz from Poodle last night (and again today) but they are sold out.

Now, maybe someone can confirm this. I'm gonna be using a Dunlop DC brick to power the fuzz, am I right thinking that I should choose the NPN Germanium ?
    Not sure, but it says on the Poodle site :)

I built an Axis fuzz and it's AMAZING. 

I mean, I broke it when I reopened it to tidy the wiring because I dropped it and stepped on it but...
    Gagaryn said:

I'm in a similar position to you, very Very basic understanding of electronics, but I didn't know about the Poodle Kits and I made one of these a while back. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190821199685&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

It was easy enough, everything is included along with fool proof instructions and it sounds great - although I may be biased as it's the only effect I have ever built!

Yeah I have one of those on 'watch' in my eBay account but I wondered if they are so cheap because they are in fact rubbish...seems like a cheaper option for a first build.

The guy at Poodle just got back to me, he has loads of Fuzz kits in, he didn't realise the website was saying OOS.

Decisions...???

On the power thing, yeah it says so in the Poodle site but I just wanted it confirming that I had actually got it right. I might just ask him on his FB page.