Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HiFi help appreciated

What's Hot
AllthegearNoideaAllthegearNoidea Frets: 293
edited October 2018 in Off Topic
I’m experiencing a high level of bass boom when listening to vinyl against the same album on cd. 

I was was going to buy an isolation platform or sorbothane feet but I’m questioning my whole setup after a trip to my local dealer for advice.  

I have an arcam A18 amp, arcam a17 cd, project debut carbon turntable with a pair of Monitor Audio RX6 speakers. 

Shop didn’t really concentrate on the vibration but suggested for the rx6 I’d need a more powerful amp to get the best from them at lower volume. Which is where I perceive a problem currently. They’re also a bit sterile to me. Lacking warmth at lower volume. 

So this is moved on to a suggestion for a speaker and amp change to suit my room and preferences and current needs

Suggested amp and speaker setup was a Cyrus one HD with Dali Opticon 2 with floor mounts. 

Room is 6m x 4m log cabin. 

Any hifi gurus ghat can advise. 

Shoo would offer me £350 trade for the speakers and £150 for the amp to soften the blow

Thanks in advanced 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    go active my Avi's are just awesome ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited October 2018
    If CD and vinyl sound different, upgrading either your amp or speakers won’t make them sound more similar.

I’d look at how close the deck is to the speakers and try to ensure the deck is on a solid support. Backing off the tracking weight might help with the excess bass.

You may find moving the speakers dramatically influences their presentation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Not sure how much credence you give What Hi-fi reviews, but checking out what else is available at your price point might focus the mind (or not).

Matching the speakers to the amp (or vice versa) sounds a really good way to go. Let us know how you get on, and what you actually get.
  • If CD and vinyl sound different, upgrading either your amp or speakers won’t make them sound more similar.

I’d look at how close the deck is to the speakers and try to ensure the deck is on a solid support. Backing of the tracking weight might help too.
    I’m a bit old school. Got my gear in a retro Errol cabinet. It’s a bout two feet away from the speaker. I’ll try the tracking weight. Vinyl sounds better to me just have this boom im attaching to vibration 

• fandango said:
    Not sure how much credence you give What Hi-fi reviews, but checking out what else is available at your price point might focus the mind (or not).

Matching the speakers to the amp (or vice versa) sounds a really good way to go. Let us know how you get on, and what you actually get.
    Based on what Hi-Fi reviews I was thinking Rega elex r amp but didn’t know if it would suit my speakers. 
  • Nikc said:
    What goes between the cd/turntable to the AVI. What model speakers?
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204

fandango said:

Based on what Hi-Fi reviews I was thinking Rega elex r amp but didn’t know if it would suit my speakers. 
    May I suggest first setting up the RX6 speakers, and then audition a series of amps against those speakers?

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11778
    Ermm just to be sure, you have checked your turntable is stable, balanced and correctly set up with a stylus pressure meter?

Proper set up make s an enormous difference with turntables
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2955
    is your tracking weight set properly?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    blobb said:
    Im glad im not the only one thinking that!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Sounds like a compliance issue with your cartridge and arm setup, 
  • fandango said:

fandango said:

May I suggest first setting up the RX6 speakers, and then audition a series of amps against those speakers?

I’m being a bit thick here. How do you mean setting up the rx6. 
  • blobb said:

will test in the morning. I’m assuming your implying I’m digging a hole through the vinyl

blobb said:
    Ha! the joys of cross posting. I should also add that proper set up make s an enormous difference with turntables.
  •  Any thoughts on the gear in general?
    blobb said:

will test in the morning. I’m assuming your implying I’m digging a hole through the vinyl

Or the opposite, it should be set up per your cartridges instructions too much or too little weight makes a huge difference.

Also the turntable should be completely level.

Id sure as hell check it before you start buying amps and speakers at least! :)
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7877
    edited October 2018
    I bought my niece one of those turntables, it’s not great.  Sounds to me like the stylus is misaligned, or the weight is wrong, arm set too light or heavy. 

You can can print off alignment charts off ‘t-internet’. I can loan you a stylus scale. If you live near M40 J4, i’ll set it up for you. 
  • Does the turntable sit on top of the cabinet too? Some of the biggest changes in sound have been placement of components. My turntables are now bolted to the wall on dedicated TT shelves. It could be better, but I also have to work with what my room is like/made of. 
    Get the tracking weight correct. Also, how old is the cartridge +/- stylus.

Will test in the morning. I’m assuming your implying I’m digging a hole through the vinyl

Lots of interacting variables at play but possible. CD's just read the data, records are physical movements of a suspension arm reacting to the grooves of the record (as you know). Getting the arm to float so it only moves when the 'bump' hits it takes some effort to get right. Also worth remembering that vinyl and cd's are/may be mastered differently, vinyl has to be mastered to overcome the deficiencies of the format. Then you have the phono stage sensitivity to consider. . . . .
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Nikc said:
    What goes between the cd/turntable to the AVI. What model speakers?
    I've got and older pair of Avi 9.1's - you can pick up a used pair for quite a decent price - I take optical out into the on board Dac and use a Music Fidelity phono amp for my lp12. Works a treat ;)