Is it bad...

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3452
    Emp_Fab said:
    Er.... I believe you called me a "****" too sunshine !

Besides, this is so outrageous, subtlety is an inappropriate response.
    I dunno , subt letting the garage might have it pay for itself.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdv said:
    If you have a decent credit score you can get a £10k loan at 2.8% over 1-3 years. 
    You'll only pay £290 in interest over 2 years, £150 if you pay it off in a year. 

I'd take the loan, get the conversion done, and then put up my lesson fees. When they're having lessons in the new room it'll be obvious why you've had to put up prices a bit.

I'm not going to donate money to someone who's perfectly capable of earning the money to pay for something themselves.
    You're unlikely to get much on a GoFundMe page, looking at it this sort of thing seems to divide neatly into people finding themselves in an unfortunate position through illness etc ("please contribute to a garage conversion that will allow our disabled son to be properly cared for" etc) which seem to get funded quite well, and those who are either lazy, have made poor life choices, or are otherwise gormless ("I got my girlfriend pregnant and want to move into my parents garage" etc) which don't.
    I don't think I'll get the loan, basically what I wanted to do was do the exterior work first, roof, windows/doors/rendering to get it all watertight. Then find out costs for inside and then start work on plasterboard, electrics etc etc. This isn't a project I have to do within a time frame.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    octatonic said:
    I have created a Go Fund Me on your behalf:

https://www.gofundme.com/gvuud-garage-fund
    I’m sorry but the GFM is not doing that well.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Emp_Fab said:
    octatonic said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    To be blunt, if you can't see that asking people to fund your home improvements is wrong, you're a ****.

I don't know about 'Go Fund Me'.....   My reaction is more 'Go F*** Yourself'.
    Mr Subtle strikes again.
    Whoaaa there....  Ah said A-Whoaaaa there boy !!

The OP comes on here asking for opinions on whether it's alright to use a (predominantly) worthy charity fundraising site to get other people to pay for his garage conversion - and I'm the **** ?????!!!!
    I never get tired of pushing your buttons.
    It gives me a massive boner.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Still nothing this morning - incomprehensible..... 
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Still nothing this morning - incomprehensible..... 
     I've got to wait til I'm paid at the end of the month - sorry all
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited October 2018
    @richardhomer , I think that you're wrong, my friend . The cash appears to be rolling in .

Edit: Or it would be if it took my money.
    @richardhomer , I think that you're wrong, my friend . The cash appears to be rolling in .

Edit: Or it would be if it took my money.
    Now standing at £5 - even more incomprehensible....
  • Wahey. I'm a GoFundMe person.  I'm making dreams happen. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    If you don't have premises for your teaching business and the fees don't cover the costs of continuing that business then you don't have a viable business.

Why don't you get a job, save money, do the necessary preparation and then start a teaching business. That would be the correct way to do it. Asking hundreds of other people to give you some of their money is not the correct way to do it. Why do you even think you are entitled to ask that? What makes you so special, more special then everyone else who wants something that they can not afford?

This is mad - remarkable and perverse sense of entitlement. Get a grip.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    edited October 2018
    Well I just tried to donate a pound via PayPal, but it won't have it. 

It seems you have to register your garage as a charity. 

But it's the thought that counts, obviously. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Come on guys. All it takes is another 2,999 to bung in  £5 each and we've got a new jam space, as is my understanding. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Come on guys. All it takes is another 2,999 to bung in  £5 each and we've got a new jam space, as is my understanding. 
    Perhaps we could invite that SRV wannabe off YouTube to bring his crowd-funded vintage Strat along to the opening?
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Whereabouts do you teach at the moment, I assume it's your house? Is that too small/not good enough? Without taking the piss out of the thread (that has been done!) I wouldn't ask my students for cash for that sort of thing as it's a bit inappropriate. Maybe try and record a few tunes to sell online to raise a (small) amount. Or take on more students (maybe groups of kids - rock school type thing on a small scale - a few people in a one-hour lesson slot = more cash for less effort). 

Having said that, I am going to ask my students this week how they would react if I asked for them to fund a garage conversion. I do have a garage which is a start. 
  • Whereabouts do you teach at the moment, I assume it's your house? Is that too small/not good enough? Without taking the piss out of the thread (that has been done!) I wouldn't ask my students for cash for that sort of thing as it's a bit inappropriate. Maybe try and record a few tunes to sell online to raise a (small) amount. Or take on more students (maybe groups of kids - rock school type thing on a small scale - a few people in a one-hour lesson slot = more cash for less effort). 

Having said that, I am going to ask my students this week how they would react if I asked for them to fund a garage conversion. I do have a garage which is a start. 
    It’s in the front room of my house, I feel it’s too small especially to get groups in. I’m hoping to take on a role as a workshop leader at a local youth centre so that will help towards it. Will have to look at selling equipment and maybe getting into a paid covers band too.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Will have to look at selling equipment and maybe getting into a paid covers band too.
    Poor you. 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Come on guys. All it takes is another 2,999 to bung in  £5 each and we've got a new jam space, as is my understanding. 
    Do you get a key to @Lestratcaster s house now as your pledge reward?

I'm tired of having to pick locks to people's houses when I want to use their jam spaces.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28175

I'm tired of having to pick locks to people's houses when I want to use their jam spaces.
    Why not use a bump key?

Or is that like me walking into a valve amp cultist meeting and saying "Hey - how about a Helix?"
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
  • Nitefly said:
    Currently trying to get to the £10k mark with a savings account. The other one I wanted to invest won't cover all the work that needs to be done (that I didn't know at the time)