REVALVE - to reduce gain ????

DominicDominic Frets: 16095
EL 34 Vintage Svetlana x2 sound great in a very gainy Brit style amp but I would like to reduce the gain a bit for a bit more note to note clarity and definition ......although I want to keep plenty of gain on tap when cranked .
Not just looking for more headroom..........I don't really need headroom just better clarity when crunchy.
I changed the V1 12 ax7 many years ago in a similar amp and seem to remember that this was a good solution.
Am I on the right track and if so what replacement valve to use ????? not unobtanium I hope.
I am not looking to make a mega character difference just a touch more clarity when volume is getting turned up .
thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    What amp is it? Changing any of the preamp valves for a lower-gain type will reduce gain, but which would be the most effective and which may cause trouble depends on the exact amp circuit - although generally V1 should be fairly safe. Try a 5751 or 12AT7.

6CA7s instead of the EL34s might give a tiny bit more clarity, although that's not the same as reducing the gain.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Its a Carr "Bloke" .....THANKS FOR THE ADVICE
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    Dominic said:
    Its a Carr "Bloke" .....THANKS FOR THE ADVICE
    I have no idea what the circuit is like in that, so don't change anything other than V1 for anything except a 5751 - most 'British' type amps have a cathode-follower somewhere (not V1), and it isn't safe to use a 12AT7 or 12AY7 in one of those. V1 should take any type though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein