Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

One speaker to rule them all?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Jensen mod series does  great fender cleans and crunches up nicely. Affordable  too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1446
    Fane something-or-other?  The current Ascension line get a lot of good write-ups.  I've got an A90 alnico in a cab, and it's lovely...equally at home with my Vox and Fender-style amps.
    I have the A60 and it's the best higher power Blue-a-like I've ever heard.  Wonderful speakers, not sure how it'd cope with hard rock (only because I don't play it) but it does classic rock levels of gain wonderfully.
  • Is it weird that I use a Celestian Gold for all of that? I like it lol though it is bright. 
  • Fane have 20% off at the moment if you’re considering one.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2201
    edited October 2018
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:

I'm getting good cleans out of both, and whatever Celestion that's fitted to the HRD IV is pretty good for all that too. 
    It's an A-Type.

I don't have an extensive knowledge of speakers, but I like the sound of my HRD IV with its Celestion A Type speaker.

I previously had an HRD III which I tried with the stock speaker (not to my taste), a Celestion Vintage 30 (cut well but too "in yer face"/harsh for that amp) and a Celestion V-Type (my overall favourite in the HRD III). But I prefer the sound of the HRD IV, which I expect is down to a combination of the amp and its A-Type speaker.

It's not a competition.
  • Gassage said:
    JBL D120F.

All day long.
    Pfffffffffffft

Fanes ftw
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5672
    Forgive my ignorance, but what’s an A-type when it’s at home? Alnico maybe?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Haych said:
    Forgive my ignorance, but what’s an A-type when it’s at home? Alnico maybe?
    No, it's a ceramic-magnet type designed to give more 'American' tone than the typical Celestion voicing - cleaner and more scooped in the mids.

https://celestion.com/product/144/A_Type/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Fane have 20% off at the moment if you’re considering one.
    @Moe_Zambeek where?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    edited October 2018
    @dodge I heard through their mailing list for direct sales off their website, but the code is listed on their homepage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @dodge I heard through their mailing list for direct sales off their website, but the code is listed on their homepage.
    Cheers!
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Fane have 20% off at the moment if you’re considering one.
    Just spotted that Lean Business have a deal on the F90 for £75 this month, too.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Cannabis Rex is neither particularly British or American voiced (perhaps a little more the latter). Many describe it as dark but I think if it as exceptionally even and easy to EQ. Very versatile in my experience. 
    Yep. Agreed.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Dodge said:
    The only speaker that I can think of that people rate in some positive way in all your applications is the EVM12.

Im not a fan though, jack of all ttades but master.of none IMHO. Plus, they're crazy money.
    There's one of these 5 minutes up the road from me for £10.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    andy1839 said:
    Dodge said:
    The only speaker that I can think of that people rate in some positive way in all your applications is the EVM12.

Im not a fan though, jack of all ttades but master.of none IMHO. Plus, they're crazy money.
    There's one of these 5 minutes up the road from me for £10.
    Go and buy it. Even if it’s knackered and needs re-coning it’s worth a lot more than that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    celestion redback is a great sounding speaker, i put one in a victory v10 to replace a knackered wgs speaker. it sounded lovely and can take pretty much all the power you can throw at it.