Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

(Not-super) injunction, and names

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Ah.  Someone named him then ?

I suppose I was perhaps a tad naive in expecting everyone to be sensible.  Sorry.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    If he shall not be named, is it...

Lord Voldemort?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fecking ridiculous - it's even on the guy's Wikipedia page !!!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2018
    Gassage said:
    Fuengi said:
    Do my Wow and Wisdom frets from the thread still count? 
    I got 5 LOL's for my Hughie Green joke
    Hughie who? I've never heard of him
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3452
    Can someone please give me the basics here, I have no idea whats going on?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2018
    Emp_Fab said:
    Trending on Twitter too. We're probably the only people in Britain who don't know who he is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72327
    robgilmo said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

No need to even post the specific link...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Freebird said:
    Gassage said:
    Fuengi said:
    Would you open the box?

proggy said:
    Freebird said:
    Gassage said:
    Fuengi said:
    Would you open the box?
    It depends what colour it is.
    robgilmo said:
    Lord Voldemort has been groping and bullying women.  He got a super injunction because he didn't want Harry Potter to know, except Hagrid blurted it out and now everyone knows.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    Freebird said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Trending on Twitter too. We're probably the only people in Britain who don't know who he is alleged to be (but denies).
    FTFY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited October 2018
    I appreciate the reasons for the site admins' caution, but I find this quite Orwellian.

The whole interweb, in fact the whole world is discussing 'a thing' and tFB is quivering in a corner.

This is bizarre.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Freebird said:
    proggy said:
    Freebird said:
    Gassage said:
    Fuengi said:
    Would you open the box?
    It depends what colour it is.
    It's a green hue.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2429
    robgilmo said:
    Let the Daily Telegraph explain:

The Telegraph has spent the past eight months investigating allegations of bullying, intimidation and sexual harassment made against the businessman, and the lengths he has gone to to cover up the claims. However, on Tuesday this newspaper was prevented from revealing details of the non-disclosure deals by Sir Terence Etherton, the Master of the Rolls, the second most senior judge in England and Wales.

The intervention makes it illegal, outside Parliament or in reports of Parliamentary proceedings, to reveal the businessman’s identity or to identify the companies, as well as what he is accused of doing or how much he paid his alleged victims.

It was the latest twist in a legal fight which began in July, which saw the appeal court rule that the confidentiality of contracts was more important than freedom of speech.

It overturned a previous High Court ruling which found that publication of the allegations would be overwhelmingly in the public interest and would significantly contribute to debate in a democratic society.

NDAs were used to ensure the silence of witnesses but today Lord Peter Hayne used parliamentary privilege to name the businessman.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Gagaryn said:
    I appreciate the reasons for the site admins' caution, but I find this quite Orwellian.

The whole interweb, in fact the whole world is discussing 'a thing' and tFB is quivering in a corner.

This is bizarre.
    Ah yes .... How Bizarre, How Bizarre
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gagaryn said:

This is bizarre.
    Funny how you're happy to say that when you're not the one who has to deal with the legal implications of all the bullshit folk spout on here because they think they're immune. You're also not the one who has to assume the legal liability for said bullshit.

So, if you think you're so hard done to by this policy, you're welcome to piss off and discuss it on any of those other sites.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3452
    So , basically some dude was accused of sexual harassment and the courts said his identity should remain a secret? Is he guilty? If so fuck that, people need to know who this person is.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • As far as I can see these days if someone is well enough known in a more global sense, then the UK Law only has a limited reach in the wider world. I seem to remember that, not long ago, a well known footballer succeeded in obtaining a similar injunction in the UK, but was identified because the injunction had no legal power in the States, and his ID got circulated on the internet starting in the USA.

I'm sure everyone must have noticed that the current Preezeedent of the States has run out of luck with his non disclosure agreements with various ladies.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27482
    Gagaryn said:

This is bizarre.
    Funny how you're happy to say that when you're not the one who has to deal with the legal implications of all the bullshit folk spout on here because they think they're immune. You're also not the one who has to assume the legal liability for said bullshit.

So, if you think you're so hard done to by this policy, you're welcome to piss off and discuss it on any of those other sites.
    +1

Yes, he's been named on the BBC website.  But named very carefully, factually and objectively.

There is no judgemental comment in that article.

Contrast that to the comment that we know will be posted here.  Which be judgemental to the point that it would be defamatory with or without the context of the injunction.  IE, put the whole injunction thing aside, people would take the facts as reported on the BBC website, and extend those into a load of comments that would be actionable.  That - arguably - already happened in the threads before Lee removed them.

Now, *you* may want to incur the costs and hassles of attempting to defend yourself against some legal actions, but we really don't want that hassle in defending ourselves or the forum.  We wouldn't even bother defending you and will quite happily divulge any and all records of your identities as soon as requested.  

If you think that your voice will add that little bit extra value to freedom of speech, then set up your own website and do it there.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Gagaryn said:

This is bizarre.

That is uncalled for.

I noted that I appreciate your caution. 

Really no need to resort to telling people to piss off. That is an overreaction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom