Devi Ever seems to be in a bad place...

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I have no skin in the game- never bought a Devi Ever pedal and have no real interest in the sort of thing she makes.
    I do buy a lot of pedals though and if someone left me high and dry on a purchase I’d be furious.

Sad to see someone having a very public breakdown but this has happened more than once.

I’ve not seen anything anti-trans in the gear world.
    I’m not saying it isn’t happening, I’ve just not seen it.
    I’m not sure that whatever she has experienced can be extrapolated out as being somehow representative of the wider gear buying public seems a pretty great leap.

To conflate perceived anti-trans sentiments with personal finance issues + mental health issues and use this as an excuse for not honouring debts is, as it was the last time, pretty shit and not particularly credible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    A fairly cursory looking into the anti-trans stuff would show Devi hanging out on sites such as Kiwi Farms and 4 chan.
    These aren’t gear sites- they are troll hangouts.

In one instance she created this thread:

https://kiwifarms.net/threads/devi-ever-amber-coal-grace-lynn-pixelgoth.12128/

This does seem a bit attention seeking and frankly I’m not surprised things went sideways.
    Why would someone who was just trying to run a pedal business get into those places?
    What is to be gained from it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27075
    octatonic said:
    A fairly cursory looking into the anti-trans stuff would show Devi hanging out on sites such as Kiwi Farms and 4 chan.
    These aren’t gear sites- they are troll hangouts.

In one instance she created this thread:

https://kiwifarms.net/threads/devi-ever-amber-coal-grace-lynn-pixelgoth.12128/

This does seem a bit attention seeking and frankly I’m not surprised things went sideways.
    Why would someone who was just trying to run a pedal business get into those places?
    What is to be gained from it?
    Attention. That's all. 

It's pretty clear to pretty much everyone else that the route to success is via high quality products, with decent customer service, marketed through level-headed engagement with the existing gear community (ref Thorpy, Chase Bliss, Origin Effects, etc). DE has never delivered on any of these attributes, never mind all 3. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Looks like she used up all her goodwill after the JHS thing. Still plenty of reasons for me not to buy that dudes stuff either mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27075
    tekbow said:
    Looks like she used up all her goodwill after the JHS thing. Still plenty of reasons for me not to buy that dudes stuff either mind.
     I recall the Console/Kickstarter thing, the retro-games indiegogo mess, the Dwafcraft buyout/un-buyout, and the general shitshow that is DE circuit design and construction. But I didn't know there was also a "JHS thing".

Iirc JHS made a Hyperion clone, but it's not news that they aren't remotely bothered about stealing other circuits and pretending they've invented them. Am I assume she threw a shit fit over that as well? 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Re ‘Dudes’:
    IMHO making a point of calling a trans person by their birth gender weakens any criticism you make of their behaviour and plays into their position that the gear industry is transphobic.

This has nothing to do with Devi’s gender, everything to do with repeated unethical behaviour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited October 2018
    octatonic said:
    Re ‘Dudes’:
    IMHO making a point of calling a trans person by their birth gender weakens any criticism you make of their behaviour and plays into their position that the gear industry is transphobic.

This has nothing to do with Devi’s gender, everything to do with repeated unethical behaviour.
    I think but am not sure that the word dude is applicable to all genders. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Perhaps but also one of the first thing that some people do to transgender people is to use pronouns to negate their transition. 
    This makes the argument about their gender, rather than their behaviour.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Perhaps but also one of the first thing that some people do to transgender people is to use pronouns to negate their transition. 
    Agree but looks like you were replying to tekbow, and I think the dude they were referencing is JHS, not Devi. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I didn’t read it that way. If I’m wrong then ok, no harm no foul.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    octatonic said:
    Agree with that. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited October 2018
    Devi Ever and ever and ever and ever...

QUOTE:

" I don't even have enough time, money, or energy to file for bankruptcy,"

...but she They seemingly has have enough time to write and post that tyraid of Bullshite... over and over...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

QUOTE:

" I don't even have enough time, money, or energy to file for bankruptcy,"

...but she They seemingly has have enough time to write and post that tyraid of Bullshite... over and over...
    To be fair it costs quite a bit to file for bankruptcy 

@stickyfiddle, yeah basically the Hyperion rip-off. The guy also tried to get their shared distributors to drop her as a result of her complaining about the Hyperion clone.

neither of the 2 of them impress me.

• octatonic said:
    I didn’t read it that way. If I’m wrong then ok, no harm no foul.
    tekbow said:
    Boldness for emphasis :)
    <space for hire>
    edited October 2018

that dude's stuff either, as in JHS either, who is a dude. Also forgot the apostrophe denoting possession, "the stuff of the dude".

I also referred to Devi as "she" literally the sentence before.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’ve been tempted to try the AT+ angry charlie but I don’t like the idea of buying anything by jhs.  

As for devi ever - I struggle to understand anyone getting involved or parting with cash - it’s almost an annual event of letting people down and blaming the world instead of taking responsibility.   
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Probably covering old ground here, but what's wrong with JHS pedals stuff? No personal experience so just wondering. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    joetele said:
    Probably covering old ground here, but what's wrong with JHS pedals stuff? No personal experience so just wondering. 
    Very briefly, there were two things going on.
    First JHS made their initial impact with the prayer and worship crowd ( as have various other small manufacturers) and Josh from JHS was linked to a right wing christian movement that pushed hate speech against minority groups. His links to this seem to have been debunked ( you'd need some deep googling but it has been done) although it still comes up as a reason to hate him.   
    Second JHS have been accused of taking other people's designs as the basis for their own pedals ( I guess that's what they did to Devi Ever). Whilst to a large extent many, many pedals are based off established designs Josh took very specific designs/ modifications done by other small makers and effectively claimed them as his own. There will be people on here who can give you chapter and verse ( no pun intended!) on this and this doesn't seem to have been debunked - he does seem to have claimed other people's work as his own.

Having watched some of his Vlogs on youtube he does seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge and keen to give credit to other manufacturers. So this background seems distinctly at odds with how he presents himself. 
    But, he lives in a world of making £300 overdrives so it's all academic to me!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    joetele said:
    Very briefly, there were two things going on.
    First JHS made their initial impact with the prayer and worship crowd ( as have various other small manufacturers) and Josh from JHS was linked to a right wing christian movement that pushed hate speech against minority groups. His links to this seem to have been debunked ( you'd need some deep googling but it has been done) although it still comes up as a reason to hate him.   
    Second JHS have been accused of taking other people's designs as the basis for their own pedals ( I guess that's what they did to Devi Ever). Whilst to a large extent many, many pedals are based off established designs Josh took very specific designs/ modifications done by other small makers and effectively claimed them as his own. There will be people on here who can give you chapter and verse ( no pun intended!) on this and this doesn't seem to have been debunked - he does seem to have claimed other people's work as his own.

Having watched some of his Vlogs on youtube he does seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge and keen to give credit to other manufacturers. So this background seems distinctly at odds with how he presents himself. 
    But, he lives in a world of making £300 overdrives so it's all academic to me!
    That sounds fair enough. None of the pedals have really appealed so I'm in no danger of funding his endeavours, but I occasionally enjoy his vlogs. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs